Capcom Celebrates its 30th with Character Encyclopedia

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Capcom Celebrates its 30th with Character Encyclopedia

The 208-page hardcover tome will provide artwork and fun facts for over 200 major Capcom characters.

Break out the birthday candles, Capcom is turning 30. The legendary Japanese developer/publisher is behind such iconic franchises as Mega Man, Resident Evil, and Street Fighter. Each of these franchises is host to a myriad of unique characters, and to celebrate, strategy guide maker BradyGames is publishing the official Capcom 30th Anniversary Character Encyclopedia.

The encyclopedia will be a whopping 208 pages long, and feature a nice shiny hardcover - just like a real book! It will provide artwork and fun facts for over 200 major Capcom characters, from Ghosts and Goblins's Arthur to Street Fighter's Vega.

"Full of facts, statistics, and historical information, the Capcom 30th Anniversary Character Encyclopedia will offer any fan of Capcom's illustrious library of video games insight and background for all of their favorite characters and video game series," claims an ad for the book on Amazon [http://www.amazon.com/Capcom-30th-Anniversary-Character-Encyclopedia/dp/1465414584/], where you can pre-purchase the guide for an RRP of $16.99.

The book won't be out until October 21, but for any fans of Capcom's work it's a must-have. Capcom haven't been making the best of decisions lately [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111745-Capcom-Kills-Mega-Man-Legends-3], but their influence on the gaming industry is something that no-one can deny. All it takes is the opening few bars of the Mega Man boss select theme to get me thinking back to the good ol' days.

Lately, Capcom have been trying to ride the nostalgia train by announcing a officially confirmed for a PC release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124706-DuckTales-Remastered-Trailers-Detail-Transylvania-Amazon].

Source: Destructoid [http://www.amazon.com/Capcom-30th-Anniversary-Character-Encyclopedia/dp/1465414584/]

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Calling it now, the entry for Megaman is:

"Megaman/Rockman: Fuckin' sux, qq fanboi. LOL."

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Sleekit said:
i imagine denizens of this site will be extremely interested in what it does or doesn't say about Poison and Roxy...
Poison's a chick. Just like Ken Master's isn't 3 quarter's Japanese, that's retarded.

SHORYUKEN.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
matrix3509 said:

No, that'll be the entry for Viewtiful Joe.

Megaman fans have, what, 30-odd games in their beloved franchise by now? I'm still waiting for a Viewtiful Joe 3. Cry me a river.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
matrix3509 said:

I imagine the Dante Entry will be

Dante: See Megaman/Rockman.

Given Capcom seem to hate Devil May Cry and Megaman quite a bit, i can see this happening

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I didn't expected to see Magaman to the front cover.
I thought Capcom wanted to annihilate his existent after so bad decisions made for this character...

Also 200 pages even you think are enough, they aren't.
This means it will be only one page for one character.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I too am curious just what exactly it will say about Poison.

And wow, putting Mega Man in the front cover almost seems trollish on Capcoms part.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Huh, so Capcom does seem to remember that Megaman was one of their franchises. Maybe they remembered about Megaman Legends 3...>.>

eltonborges

Apr 25, 2008
Ah... Rival Schools, Tech Romancer, Power Stone, Clock Tower, Viewtful Joe, Breath of Fire, Haunting Ground, Captain Commando, Crimson Tears, P.N.03, Dino Crisis, Gigawing, Beatdown, Onimusha and many others. Well, it will be a very sad welcome, since this book will remind us of so many games that we will never see again. But I still love Crapcom for what they did in the past. It was imporatan, unique and special. This company might have lost it, but they had passion, creativity and could pull out almost anything they wanted. Good times...

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
"M is for Megaman

To be honest we completely forgot this character was a thing that existed.
Apparently our interns have been handling that for decades."

Dec 14, 2009
'Okami.

We won't be making any more of these games.

Sucks to be you.

Lololololololol'

Why do you like seeing me cry, Capcom?

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Ryu : There is our boy.

Dante : We have no idea what we are doing.

Megaman : He is the middle child.

Morrigan : T&A.

Tron Bonne : Trone who?

Oh well you can't love them all I guess.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
'Okami.

Sucks to be you.

Lololololololol'

*pats on shoulder*
At least they didn't pull a Legends 3 with the Okami series. Tis okay, they'll get their karma soon enough. ^.^

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Considering CapComs trends ... I fully expect half the chapters to be locked and requiring a key you purchase which will be available a day after the book is officially out for sale.

DISCLAIMER: Please note a explosive device is attached to the locking mechanism, any attempt to tamper with the mechanism will result in the book detonating and combusting.
CapCom will not take any responsibility for any direct or indirect result of the Book Locking Mechanism(BLM), and will not replace limbs or life or book in the event of a accidental malfunction of the BLM device.
The buyer should also be aware CapCom retains the right to remote detonate the BLM device at its sole discretion.
These rights and terms of service are subject to change at CapComs discretion.
User rights are not applicable irrespective of the users residential country rulings.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
'Okami.

Sucks to be you.

Lololololololol'

After playing Persona 4, I have a question of you Daystar.

Do you pronounce Okami "oh-kah-mee" or "oak-ah-mee"? I've been pondering this for a little while and since you've got this particular game sewed onto your soul, I figured you were the best forum poster to ask.

OT: Dear Capcom,

I still play Breath of Fire 3, DMC3 and Megaman Legends.

Please remember the time when you didn't suck massive amounts of horse testicles at producing decent games.

Sincerely,

CCM