Capcom Denies Anti-Used-Games Stance in New Resident Evil 3DS Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Capcom Denies Anti-Used-Games Stance in New Resident Evil 3DS Game

Capcom says used game sales "were not a factor" in deciding to make the save data in Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D [http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-Mercenaries-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B002I0GKA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309278220&sr=8-1] permanent, but it was a little less than forthcoming about what actually drove the decision.

We found out yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111318-Capcom-Fights-Used-Game-Sales-With-Resident-Evil-The-Mercenaries-3D-Saved-Games] that save-game data on the new Nintendo 3DS game Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, according to a note included with the game, is permanent and cannot be reset. The immediate and obvious assumption was that this is an attempt to thwart pre-owned game sales by sticking anyone who buys a used copy with the saves, achievements and other content already unlocked by the original owner. But Capcom says that's not the case at all.

"Secondhand game sales were not a factor in this development decision, so we hope that all our consumers will be able to enjoy the entirety of the survival-action experiences that the game does offer," the company said in a statement. So what were the factors? That part isn't entirely clear.

"In Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, all mission progress is saved directly to the Nintendo 3DS cartridge, where it cannot be reset," the statement continued, essentially repeating what we already knew. "The nature of the game invites high levels of replayability in order to improve mission scores. In addition, this feature does not remove any content available for users."

Clear as mud, eh? I suppose there could be another valid reason for making the game this way, I just can't imagine what it could be, and I think that Capcom's refusal to spell it out speaks volumes. And regardless of the intent, the new Resident Evil title may already be making an anti-pre-owned splash, although not necessarily to Capcom's benefit: Vooks.net [http://www.vooks.net/story-20260-EB-Games-Australia-recalling-Mercenaries-from-sale-over-save-file-debacle.html] claims that EB Games in Australia is refusing to sell the game because its resale value is so low and it would be impossible to return it within the store's seven-day "as new" refund policy.

Source: Giant Bomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/news/capcom-used-games-not-a-factor-in-resident-evil-the-mercenaries-3d-lacking-data-reset/3430/]

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
So either they're lying through their teeth or they weren't smart enough to include an erase data function. Neither way paints the company in a particularly positive way.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Well either they're lying or the real reason is something equally as bad or worse.

But safe to say it's just a lie and they're trying to hurt used-sales for their half-game-at-full-price title here.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
I don't buy it, they don't even try and give an explanations that would explain why you can't delete your savefile. It's a dick move and they know it, and they don't even have a bad lie to explain it away
cursedseishi said:
Personally I say good, this shouldn't be some retail game in all honesty, its the same game mode we have played through time after time, again and again, since it first sprouted up in Resident Evil. It would of done just fine as a Downloadable title with DLC additions released every so often.

Then again, that means they'd probably sell it for $15, cut out every character but the minor ones, then sell all the big names like Wesker and Krauser and Jill for $5 each...
wai.. what? I.. maybe I'm missing something, but I don't follow your argument. I don't even follow what you are arguing. What is good? What does this have to do with savefiles? Not trying to be rude, I'm just totally lost on what you are actually saying

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I don't know about you, but if I do buy any game from Capcom now, I am going to make sure it is used. If this is the way you run your business, I don't really want to buy new from you.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
I don't think this is an attempt to combat used game sells. How many people would by a game new instead of used so they could unlock the extras themselves? Absolute worst-case scenario, the weapons are upgradable. That's it. Overpowered weapons is the worst thing that can happen in a used copy. It may be a stupid design choice--I can't really think of how this will benefit players at all, but it's not an attempt to combat used game sells. It's just an auto save system on a game with a single save file.

It doesn't even work as an attempt to stop siblings/roommates from sharing the game. As a handheld, it already requires one game per player (well...it could stream it to nearby 3DSs, I guess, but I've only ever seen that in Mario Party DS, and it would be pretty unreasonable to expect every game to be that nice). The only reason to make an issue out of this is if a developer tries it with a campaign-based game.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Varya said:
I don't buy it, they don't even try and give an explanations that would explain why you can't delete your savefile. It's a dick move and they know it, and they don't even have a bad lie to explain it away
cursedseishi said:
Personally I say good, this shouldn't be some retail game in all honesty, its the same game mode we have played through time after time, again and again, since it first sprouted up in Resident Evil. It would of done just fine as a Downloadable title with DLC additions released every so often.

Then again, that means they'd probably sell it for $15, cut out every character but the minor ones, then sell all the big names like Wesker and Krauser and Jill for $5 each...
wai.. what? I.. maybe I'm missing something, but I don't follow your argument. I don't even follow what you are arguing. What is good? What does this have to do with savefiles? Not trying to be rude, I'm just totally lost on what you are actually saying
Sorry, meant to quote the portion of the article mentioning that an Australian store decided to not sell the game because of said odd save feature.
Ah, ok, that totally makes sense now.

TastyCarcass

Jul 27, 2009
Doesn't seem like a brilliant game anyway. To quote the IGN review....

There are also only eight characters to choose from (and no, Leon S. Kennedy is not one of them, despite the presence of RE 4 locations)

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
I call bullshit on this. Every other cartridge system has allowed you to overwrite previous information, and I'm fairly sure that you don't need to encourage players to beat high scores by blocking rewriting memory. They were trying to cut back on used sales, and are now trying to play Mr. Innocent for good PR.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
The official answer is "We didn't program the game, so we have no idea why they did that. If you would just shut up and buy it, that would be great." Seems like an obnoxious design choice. Sometimes I like to replay games, or at least know the option is there. Why be jerks about it?

FOXGEAR

Mar 18, 2011
Ha, good one Capcom.

Oh wait, they were trying to be serious?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry and burn down Capcom's secret underground headquarters with a matchbook.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Now I have even less respect for them. At least the used games sale reason was smart. They just seem completely retarded now.