Capcom Marooning MvC 3 Rage Quitters on Quitter Island

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Capcom Marooning MvC 3 Rage Quitters on Quitter Island

If you quit matches often enough in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-vs-Capcom-Worlds-Xbox-360/dp/B003IE9V28/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1294932070&sr=1-3], it won't be long before your only opponents are other quitters.

Capcom has come up with what is possibly the ideal solution for rage quitters in Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Rather than let them hop from game to game, disappearing like cowardly ninjas if it looks like they're going to lose, Capcom will simply isolate them, so that they don't spoil anyone else's fun.

The game will monitor player's connection habits, and if it notices that a particular player frequently pulls out of matches at the last minute, it will start to mark him or her down for it. These black marks will affect whom the game pairs you up with online, so if a player persists with his or her vanishing act, eventually the only people left for him or her to fight will be people with a similar fondness for quitting matches.

Capcom used a similar system in the Wii game Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, and while there were some complaints about it in that game, it's likely that the experience will have helped Capcom to refine its approach. Presumably, this system will only affect habitual quitters, as it seems pretty unlikely that Capcom is going to banish someone to the hell of rage quitters just because their internet connection is a little flaky.

Hopefully, it will also allow players to earn back some trust through good behavior, because after playing against nothing but rage quitters for a prolonged length of time, at least some of them will learn their lesson.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds comes out for PS3 and Xbox 360 on February 15th.

Source: GamesRadar [http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/marvel-vs-capcom-3-fate-of-two-worlds/news/marvel-vs-capcom-3-rage-quitter-vs-honourless-bastard-fight/a-20110111115417724008/g-20100419113020323019]

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: Fate of Two Worlds ...
Just a heads up =P

OT: Well it sounds like a good idea. How strict is it though? And how many strikes before you're out?

EDIT: Oh DAMN NINJAS!

TehKnifeh

Custard Connoisseur
Dec 26, 2008
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: Fate of Two Worlds comes out for PS3 and Xbox 360 on February 15th

Might want to knock that number up a notch!

OT: Love the idea, wish it was used more often in other games, would sort out the players who want to play the game properly and have a fair fight from the ones that are looking for easy wins and want to have a stupid win/loss ratio

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
YES!
This pleases me.

You have no idea how angry rage quitters make me.
Especially if they are a high Rank.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
That's awesome! I don't see why they can't just count disconnects as losses, however.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
$20 says someone complains "I paid X amount of dollars for this game! That can't stop me from quitting!"

I, for one, love this idea. It's good to punish those who make a habit of quitting when they're losing.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
VanityGirl said:
$20 says someone complains "I paid X amount of dollars for this game! That can't stop me from quitting!"

I, for one, love this idea. It's good to punish those who make a habit of quitting when they're losing.
To which I will tell them, "They're not stopping you, if anything they're making sure you get to play with like minds. See they love you."

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
That's a brilliant idea.
It'll end up with people getting hit once and quitting the other quitters. AWESOME.
No sarcasm, by the way.

zmanu

Nov 18, 2009
megs1120 said:
I don't see why they can't just count disconnects as losses, however.
That's because it's not so easy to distinguish quitting from legit connection losses, and it's not so easy to tell who the quitter was. And false positives are not well received by players either.

njsykora

Sep 11, 2007
I would assume you'll only get banished if you make a habit of it, if like 10 of your last 15-20 matches you disconnected from. Or it could just track disconnects as a stat and pair you up with those who have a similar quit percentage.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Fearzone said:
If you quit, you lose. What is so hard about that?
My thoughts exactly. Even if you lose connection because your ISP is crap, i still say it gives you a lost. That's the chance you take when you play an INTERNET game.

Y cater to the few when the majority are rage quitters?

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
I don't really care about this game, but this seems like a real good way of working around Rage quitters, although it'll only really work in games like this.

Big_H

Mar 23, 2009
Two words:
Awe Some

Fearzone said:
I never understood that either. In any real life game, if you leave the match early, you forfeit (lose). Plain and simple. I never understood why more games don't adopt this approach.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Now if only more developers would follow this example.

Big_H said:
Two words:

Fearzone said:
I never understood that either. In any real life game, if you leave the match early, you forfeit (lose). Plain and simple. I never understood why more games don't adopt this approach.
Most games I've encountered do have rage quits count as a loss. The problem is that it's not fun for the people who get rage quit on.

tj236

Oct 6, 2010
I don't play MvC at all but this idea is great.

I've actually gotten to the point of when I am beating the crap out of someone in a sports game online, that they request a mutual quit with 3 seconds left.