Capcom: Next-Gen Development "Eight to Ten Times" More Work

agent_orange420

Sep 30, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
I'm not sure if I count as a fan, but here is a summary of what I want from you, Capcom:

1) A refined sequel to Dragon's Dogma

2) Megaman Legends 3

3) A proper Breath of Fire game(not an "Easy touch type online RPG")

That's pretty much it. Please get on that ASAP.
adding to that list, please can we have Resident evil HD remake of RE 1-3. For us aging Capcom fans.

Resident Evil Revelations showed how Resident evil can still be fun. more that direction please.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
BrotherRool said:
8 to 10 is absolute BS. If games cost 10-30 million last gen, there is no way that Capcom is spending 100-300 million on them now. Even the craziest developer would sit down and say 'maybe we don't need the maximum graphical power[/i]
It's not about the graphics, but rather about working with technology they're unfamiliar with. Still bullshit, so your conclusion is still valid.

OT: Having played some of Capcom's PC ports I can see why they would say that the PC architecture of this generation's consoles is causing them so much difficulties.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Capcom makes early excuses for releasing crap games.

World moves on.

I can't see what else they'd hope to gain by coming out and saying this when many others are more than happy with the way things are now.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
If their engine is shit then I bet it will be a lot harder to make games on it. From what I have seen from CryEngine 3 and Unreal Engine 4 they seem to cut down a lot of the crap that used to get in the way and offer a faster and easier way to achieve the same if not more.

William McKay

Mar 12, 2010
KDR_11k said:
Cognimancer said:
"If we create games the same way as before, we won't be able to give our fans what they want, and that's games unlike any they have ever played
The games I played that were unlike anything before were rarely needing cutting edge processing power.
This is the most elegant counter to Capcoms entire PR thrust.

A separate point: blatantly trying to lower the public's expectations just sounds like whining, more so when it is an entertainment company. They produce fun, not oil, vaccines or jet engines. They should act like it. As should their stock holders, who I'm sure are part of the problem.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
This smells more of "our new game engine is shit for the devs" rather than anything to do with the hardware of the game consoles.

Or they didn't bother to ask whom ever does the PC work there about the hardware.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Bullshit.

The transitioning period is hard, yes, as is the case with any new piece of hard- and software you need to work with.

However, as far as I know, there aren't any major time-consuming techniques introduced like in the previous generation. (By the way, I'm talking about normal mapping. Making a model that only needs a diffuse map as opposed to something that needs to be sculpted, decimated, retopologized, unwrapped, caged and baked... Well, let's just say, there's definitely a difference in time and effort there.)

I mean, sure, these days, you've got all kinds of maps. If you create your own engine you can decide yourself what kind of maps you need for what purpose. DOTA 2, for example, uses 4 different maps for every object: 1 diffuse, 1 normal and 2 custom maps of each 4 channels in which each channel controls a different attribute: detail mask, diffuse/fresnel mask, metalness, self-illumination, specular exponent, specular intensity, rimlight intensity and a tint specular based on the color map.

And guess what, of all those maps, most work still goes into the diffuse and the normal.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
What does that even mean the old engine couldn't "scale up to max out the new consoles"?
Did they completely hard code the thing or something? Is it not modular in any way?
Are their code monkeys truly this terrible?
Also they really think "fans" want "games unlike any they have ever played"?
How about games they already know?
Like a breath of fire that is not a mobile phone game?
Dragons dogma: the polished game edition?
A resident evil that is not terrible?
Fucking mega man?
No one wants those? No? Ok.

Does that man have any idea of anything he's talking about?
This smells of marketing bullshit.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
agent_orange420 said:
Scars Unseen said:
I'm not sure if I count as a fan, but here is a summary of what I want from you, Capcom:

1) A refined sequel to Dragon's Dogma

2) Megaman Legends 3

3) A proper Breath of Fire game(not an "Easy touch type online RPG")

That's pretty much it. Please get on that ASAP.
adding to that list, please can we have Resident evil HD remake of RE 1-3. For us aging Capcom fans.

Resident Evil Revelations showed how Resident evil can still be fun. more that direction please.
At this point they need a new horror franchise in the vein of Resident Evil, or a complete horror themed reboot so as to once again make it actually tense. The originals were good, but much like a LOT of playstation 1 games they were born in a time where control schemes for games were still being perfected for 3d. The result is that Resident Evil 1-3 (and Code Veronica and The Game Cube one with the train) got their sense of tension from the controls and fixed camera as much as from the setting.

That and as a fan of Resident Evil, I know I've seen just about every "sane" scheme Umbrella had once I got through Code Veronica. The insane "take over the worldish" plots that followed went strait into 90s Saturday AM super villain territory.

As far as this article: it sounds ambiguous or exaggerated. Maybe Capcom is going through a mass hiring for new programmers? I'm still keeping my hopes up that we get Mantle support on PS4 just to make sure it doesn't go the way of PhysX.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Sorry what?

X86 and the Universal Shader Pipeline is probably the most known domain for writing games on. There is literally tonnes of literature available for coding efficiently for games and common optimizations for common problems.

If they make 10 times extra work, its because they made the work themselves. Like unreasonable graphics expectations for modelers and animators. I'm guessing since they code the engine in house it's subpar tools though. A lot of suits seem to think that Usability Engineering is a waste of money or that coding everything inhouse is more cost effective when really it's not.

God, I see this so much with the developers in New Zealand/Australia. I don't even want to get started.

Colt47 said:
As far as this article: it sounds ambiguous or exaggerated. Maybe Capcom is going through a mass hiring for new programmers? I'm still keeping my hopes up that we get Mantle support on PS4 just to make sure it doesn't go the way of PhysX.
PhysX is still pretty much the defacto off the shelf library. PhysX hasn't gone anywhere.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Well then, I suppose they'd better start working harder than they'd ever worked before in their lives. Much harder.

Better get started, chaps.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
He is thinking in terms of graphics not game play. Looking back on 360, i loved the graphics for GTA5, Farcry 3 and AC4. Im happy with those graphics and would rather they use the extra power on gameplay instead of graphics. Other wise we still get the same old games with better graphics, its why Cod game are the same where as when the 360 was released i thought we would get bigger scale games, like an epic scale WW2 shooter. But yet, just same corridor shooter with nice looking corridors.

Also there is no need to max out the consoles power. Just look at the quality of games at the start of the 360/PS3 compared to those released 8 years later? Gameplay first, graphics afterwards.

HorrendusOne

Mar 29, 2011
*OOhh noooo now we can't just 1/2 ass game to make money off the consoles anymore because now they will actually take time and effort, our poor profits QQ.*

Maybe now they will put effort effort into game making to actually make DECENT AAA titles rather then have them be a joke.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
sounds about right. Seriously, how much more manpower had to go into titles with the PS3/360 compared to their predecessors? Seriously, freaking GTAV required HUNDREDS when its predecessors barely cracked 100 in total. This isn't good, especially since the games industry in terms of profit hasn't really grown enough to support that amount of talent yet. Of course though, companies will just ignore that and keep throwing thousand man teams in order to get games out in a two year cycle, unaware that eventually reality is going to hit and they're FORCED to accept a fundamental truth; that you can't have your cake and eat it. You can either get games out quickly, or can actually focus on QUALITY at the expense of expedience. When games take this much more effort to get out it's time to start rethinking your strategies.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Hey, have some of you people who dismiss the game industry's strive for optimal graphical fidelity as a pointless endeavour considered that the primary reason this is happening is because their metrics tells them people want increasingly high-fidelity games? Sure, the general opinion among the most "hardcore" audience seems to be that fidelity is of secondary or even tertiary concern, but that's really not the majority opinion. The first thing a game will be taken to task for in the eyes of its potential audience is its graphics, and that's why you have seen such a disproportionate focus on polycounts over aesthetics.
I don't agree with it, and it's generally acknowledged that it risks undoing the AAA game as we know it, but don't act as if this is just some foolhardy ambition the industry has assumed for frivolous reasons.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Capcom: "The production of the high end polished graphics took up so much time we actually had the chance to develop a great, working story for that game"

/sarcasm

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I choose to interpret this as...

"We're still getting used to the new systems, and until we refine our process and narrow it down, it will be 8-10 times harder than building on the old system (because the old system had been around long enough we had a better understanding of it)"

Makes sense to me. Pretty much the same thing I've heard from any person in anything ever, when moving to new gear. 'It'll be tricky while I learn the ins and outs'.

But looking around, maybe Im being too reasonable?