Capcom Wants to Cut Ties With The West, Increase DLC

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
strumbore said:
Good.

Capcom makes bad games. They've got douchey, un-relatable characters; terrible acting; ridiculous stories; and grating melodrama. Good riddance.
*Opens mouth* ...No...No actually, yes. This is how I feel about their games. I own none of them, and I can only judge by watching others play them, but I can safely say I have no desire to own any of them either.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
J Tyran said:
mirage202 said:
Publisher refuses to listen to fans, fans dont buy games, publisher loses profit. Publisher blames every one but self.

Why does this sound familiar? Oh right, same shit, different company.
You have to wonder what these publishers actually inside their skull because it certainly isn't brains. "Since we began our DLC strategy we only met 50% of our sales estimates, we must invest even more into the DLC strategy to correct this!"

How can they be blind to it? People are getting fed up of this and Capcom are one of the worst for DLC shenanigans, maybe even the worst and now they are paying for it through customer dissatisfaction.
Because they don't see what the community sees, they literally are only given numbers, both of their own games and how other studios are doing and they try to find a way to make theirs as big if not larger than others. It would be like a sports athlete trying to develop a new car with only sales figures to go off and no understanding of how the system works or what people want.....

.... and the sports athlete has never been in a car because he/she runs everywhere.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
mirage202 said:
Publisher refuses to listen to fans, fans dont buy games, publisher loses profit. Publisher blames every one but self.

Very much this.

All publishers need to die. Badly. Cut out the scummy middlemen and let the devs publish independently. It'll fix problems OVERNIGHT, I promise you that.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Stop catering to the unwashed masses and you'll be fine Capcom. RE and DMC would have never turned in the monstrousities they are now, like that.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
... Resident Evil 5 sold 5.9 million units and you expected 6 to sell fucking SEVEN MILLION?!
That's 1.1 Million units more.

Fuck, what are these people smoking? I want some of that shit.

please Capcom, don't be surprised no one buys your games anymore. You still haven't released Miles Edgeworth 2, you piss into the fans' mouths by how you treat megaman and your 2D fighters are getting annoying and boring.

I'd say "good riddance" but I still want Monster Hunter 4 and the Ace Attorney games >:C

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
1nfinite_Cros5 said:
Such a shame because they finally got it right with western devs by making DmC. I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I genuinely enjoyed the game. Ninja Theory is a talented developer and it really showed in it, bringing so much originality to the series. I was finally having fun with a Devil May Cry game. It's just saddening that customers in the gaming industry have such a knee-jerk reaction and refuse to get something just because of a different take on the formula.

I know people are justified to not want to get something because of face-value, but goddamn there were good things in that game.

*sigh*
Okay, this is something that's been confusing me for a while. When people announce a boycott for a stupid reason (no longer console exclusive, not enough DLC, PVP allegedly unbalanced/wrong or whatever), then don't follow through on said boycott, we laugh and shake our collective heads at their hypocrisy.

When DMC fans announce they aren't buying a game because it's missing what makes the game enjoyable for them (taunt mechanics, complex combos, high difficulty, weapon/style customization) and then actually follow though on it, they are 'knee-jerking', 'entitled' and even 'destroying a brand out of spite' as one person put it.

So I have to ask, what is a good way of expressing distaste for something nowadays?

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
But they'll still sell Resident Evil games right? I know 5 and 6 (especially 6) were let downs, but I enjoyed them and I would really hate to see the company act like an even bigger dumbass than they already have acted. I get why they want the Resident Evil series to be multiplayer and what not, but they need to realise that not every gamer wants to play with other people. Also, the whole, "WOW LOOK! 4 whole story lines!" is rarely a good thing. Each campaign was too short and personally made me unsatisfied as I never got invested enough in the story because I knew after 5 chapters that was it and it was onto the next game. And this is the first time I have ever said this, but the game was too streamlined. You got one pistol, one shotgun, one sniper, one machine gun, one magnum etc etc. Come on Capcom, don't you remember how great it was in RE 4 and even RE 5 to have different weapons with different upgrades. And how some has special final upgrades once everything else was upgraded. Remember the alternate costumes actually changed gameplay? How Leon's RPD outfit gave him the bullet proof vest, or how Ashley's knight armour outfit made her invulnerable? Remember unlocking the Chicago Typewriter after beating Ada's campaign? Remember getting the PRL 412 after beating the game in Professional?

Come on Capcom, I liked RE6, but lets see the next one come back to a better time, where guns were many, upgrades were a must, and we had incentive to play the other campaigns/difficulties.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I'm starting to see why Keiji Inafune left the company. Looking back over the last few years they've been unintentionally burning bridges every which way with DLC and underwhelming development (at least locally). Devil May Cry was one of their better games, being basically a new series with an old name, and they are scrapping it when it had a fairly decent turn out and probably would have been worth making a sequel for. At least, I know I'd be more inclined to buy something if the company has a sequel coming out, as I did with Dark Souls.

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
Steven Bogos said:
"delayed response to the shift to digital media in the home videoames business,"
Shouldn't that be reading "...in the home videogames market" ?

But honestly, I couldn't care less about what Capcom is doing; seeing as how I haven't really bought any of their games, and given recent incidents that have come to attention (e.g. their first person shooter, "Maverick Hunter" being cancelled, which looked like it had a lot of potential), this recent event isn't going to change my mind anytime soon.

Though, now that I think about it, Remember Me looks like it has potential, I'll keep an eye on that one at least.

ilexuki

Apr 14, 2012
i hope all those dmc fanboys who was hoping the game failed are happy(not that that's the only reason). now (granted, they seem to have unrealistic expectations on game sales) capcom is overreacting and we'll probably see nothing but more of the same with lots of dlc

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
ilexuki said:
i hope all those dmc fanboys who was hoping the game failed are happy(not that that's the only reason). now (granted, they seem to have unrealistic expectations on game sales) capcom is overreacting and we'll probably see nothing but more of the same with lots of dlc
Well yes I am quite happy. Any company that tries to rile up its customers to get free publicity should be laughed at as it is burning to the ground under the controversy they created and the related IP is better off dead rather than mutilated by soulless suits.

Feel free to write this off as the ramblings of a fanatic but please try to pay attention to the real culcript here.

Madman Muntz

Apr 16, 2013
Well I was going to say that this was disastrous news because it means I'll never buy a Capcom game again. Then I realized I haven't purchased a Capcom game in years anyway, so crisis averted. Bye bye Capcom. Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya on your way out.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Jiefu said:
J Tyran said:
mirage202 said:

You have to wonder what these publishers actually inside their skull because it certainly isn't brains. "Since we began our DLC strategy we only met 50% of our sales estimates, we must invest even more into the DLC strategy to correct this!"

How can they be blind to it? People are getting fed up of this and Capcom are one of the worst for DLC shenanigans, maybe even the worst and now they are paying for it through customer dissatisfaction.
Capcom is definitely the worst DLC offender. EA, for all their troubles, has had some good DLC releases as well - the larger BioWare DLCs have mostly been good, and Lair of the Shadow Broker was a shining example of DLC done right. Battlefield had some decent packs. Capcom doesn't really have any successes to show at all, and manages to feel even more like they're engaging in product splitting.
Didn't Capcom actually sell a game without much of ending only to sell the real ending afterwards as DLC? I do not know for sure, never played it myself but it was called Azuras Path or something. The article I read mentioned it was a narrative anime story game with 3rd person combat, so messing with the end screwed it over even more than usual.
RicoADF said:
J Tyran said:
Because they don't see what the community sees, they literally are only given numbers, both of their own games and how other studios are doing and they try to find a way to make theirs as big if not larger than others. It would be like a sports athlete trying to develop a new car with only sales figures to go off and no understanding of how the system works or what people want.....

.... and the sports athlete has never been in a car because he/she runs everywhere.
Still you would think execs in charge of a consumer product type company would take some time every now and then to personally see what the customers think of your products, wouldn't that be part of being a successful executive by trying to oversee as much as possible?

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
wow, so they obviously missed the point here by a few hundred miles. they think their numbers suck because they aren't producing enough DLC? further evidence that the Heads of major game companies are business people, not gamers. I will be glad to see them go the way of companies I'm beginning to hate, by which I mean dying broke and alone in a gutter.

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
Oh, Capcom... try putting out some brand new IPs, maybe?

Your stuff was great in its time but you keep beating dead horses. That works for Nintendo, not for you.

New rule - after the second sequel of any game, you must stop that IP for at least 10 years.