Capcom Wants to Cut Ties With The West, Increase DLC

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
DrunkOnEstus said:
What a xenophobic and misdirected plan. As I was reading this, my mind was screaming "we don't understand why other people are successful, we need to ramp up all the things that people hate us for doing". Also, I'm pretty sure that the low sales of the western games were due to what you had them do or what they had to work with, not that they happen to be "western". I get the same feeling from Square-Enix...like they're butthurt about the decline of Japan's influence in the gaming world and decide to hold their western partners to ridiculous standards in order to consider them failures and downplay their relative success.

Way to be the EA of Japan, Capcom.
Yea I did see that similar reaction from Square-Enix. It's pretty ridiculous.

I also doubt their non-Japanese studios get the same level of priority and attention when it comes to developmental teams and whatnot.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Well if they want to cut ties with my Western wallet, then they're going the right way with this nonsense.

deadpoolhulk

Dec 22, 2010
last capcom game i bought? Marvel vs Capcom 3
and now i regret buying it because just after i got it, ultimate was released. and its things like that and the fact i am uinable to connect my X-box to the internet so i can't get DLC even if i wanted to, that means i really don't care anymore. they don't know what they are doing and can't see the forest for the trees

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
jayzz911 said:
You pissed fans off with DmC's reboot (not me i never liked DmC to begin with) and then wonder why it didnt reach its target.
This is kinda why EA does what they do. DmC is a great stand-alone game, but being great doesn't always make it popular. This kinda proves that in some way gamers actually want to be disrespected with micro-transactions and draconic drm.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
Capcom: it's just a never ending series of bad decisions with you, isn't it?

First, you lose all of your heavy-hitters to the west (Keiji Inafune, Shinji Mikami, Suda51, and so on)... then you blame the west for failing to meet ridiculous expectations. More than 1.15 million copies of DmC have been sold... that's about as many as the mega-hit Devil May Cry 3... and in less time! That's a failure?

Meanwhile, your in-house developers can't release a decent title to save their lives!

Ya know, Capcom... this is just a thought... but maybe - just maybe - if your most talented and creative developers left your company to work in the west, they must have felt they were being held back in Japan. They see something in the west that your cultural pride refuses to allow you to see.

Also, DLC. Stop it. Just stop... not that you listen to your customers anyway... because ignoring your customers always works out so well, right?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
We are having financial difficulties.
Solution: Commit PR suicide! Genius! Call in the midget clowns!

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
NortherWolf said:
Bye Bye Capcom. You should have perished in the 16-bit era. The Masters of milking a franchise really have no place to criticize anyone.
Urgh.*shakes head*
Their 32-Bit output was pretty good.

Eh, I didn't really like their Western studios. But I think the problem with development isn't the studios, but the general philosophy. They're spending loads of money trying to grab the Western market. Pretending to be someone they're not.

They don't have to cut ties with Western developers to still be their own Japanese selves. There are Western indie developers right now making anime jRPGs and Fighting Games.

I think that they're just going to become more bizarre. This isn't going to be some kind of Capcom renaissance where they get in touch with what made the successful. Start making great Mega Man and Breath of Fire games again. I don't know what it going to happen but I kind of imagine them becoming another Konami. Where they rarely release a game at all and it usually disappoints.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
OuroborosChoked said:
Ahh no. They EXPECT to sell 1.15 million. If Vgchartz is to be believed, they only sold close to 800.000 units in console market. And I should also add that their expectations for this game was the highest for the franchise yet with 2 million which means it was the most expensive of the bunch.(Former biggest was DMC4 with 1.8 million which exceeded its target but hey they have 2 more metacritic points. That showed those pesky shareholders). So yes I would say it is a spectacular failure.

But you are right on one thing. Ignoring your customers doesn't work out for you. I do love it when gamers DO vote with their wallets.

amara2021

Mar 29, 2009
I hope the Ace Attorney series will still make it over here. I just bought it to pass the time on long train rides and get some use out of my DS and now I'm hopelessly in love with it. Capcom better not take that away from me! I have money! I paid for the first 3 games, and I promise them I'll buy the next 30 if they continue to ship them here.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Meh I try not to think about Capcom this Gen.
That way I still have fond memories of Viewtiful Joe, Onimusha, Maximo , DMC and God Hand.
M vs C 3 was a total let down for me and I hated the new street fighter games. Never was into Resident Evil so its success/failure never bothered me.

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
ksn0va said:
jayzz911 said:
You pissed fans off with DmC's reboot (not me i never liked DmC to begin with) and then wonder why it didnt reach its target.
This is kinda why EA does what they do. DmC is a great stand-alone game, but being great doesn't always make it popular. This kinda proves that in some way gamers actually want to be disrespected with micro-transactions and draconic drm.
So... lemme get this straight... Because DmC is a good stand-alone game and people didnt buy that, they are supportive of microtransactions and DRM? Really? Or maybe a game that is a good stand-alone but isn't made to appeal to the fans of the franchise it's supposed to belong to, should just be called something else? You know, rather than trying to piggyback on an already big fanbase, pissing off said fanbase and then expecting the game to do well regardless?

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Wow...so uh...I really don't know what to say. I'm rather stunned.

Is...is this the start of the collapse? Are we really about to see iconic game companies that have been around for years, decades even, disappear? What happens then?
The indie developer will be king!

Probably the western indie developers. I believe the industry is in a cycle that is about to repeat itself. All of the big companies that exist today each started with a few passionate and penniless programmers. Some even started in a garage like a fledgling rockband. They shared their labor of love, it became popular, a businessman noticed them and over time the few developers grew into a company. Now the companies are big, bloated, run by more businessmen than developers and possibly outdated.

However, while they're stumbling and struggling to keep up under their own weight, you have people like Notch and the guys behind the development of the Ouya rising up. In short, the whole industry is about to get its much needed reboot.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm okay with this, mostly because I don't buy their games because of their already AWFUL DLC methods, which everyone loves them for, over priced DLC, DLC on disc, lots of irreverent DLC that's too expensive.
So pile on the DLC, more reason to ignore their crap.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
jayzz911 said:
ksn0va said:
jayzz911 said:
So... lemme get this straight... Because DmC is a good stand-alone game and people didnt buy that, they are supportive of microtransactions and DRM? Really? Or maybe a game that is a good stand-alone but isn't made to appeal to the fans of the franchise it's supposed to belong to, should just be called something else? You know, rather than trying to piggyback on an already big fanbase, pissing off said fanbase and then expecting the game to do well regardless?
In DmC's case the fanbase pissed themselves. In fact the should've done the same reboot with RE:5/6. But it's no use trying to make a great game anyway, people will just claw their own eyes out over it.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
I do wonder just how much publishers are making from DLC. We can complain and whine till the cows come home, but if DLC is profitable (aka people are paying) then they will keep doing it.

As for cutting ties with Western developers, well, it appears their little experiment didn't work out. It was obviously not increasing profits.