Capcom's Latest Scheme: More Sequels, Shortened Development Time

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Capcom's Latest Scheme: More Sequels, Shortened Development Time

Capcom's fiscal record wasn't stellar in 2012, but the company expects improvement thanks to after-sales policies.

Capcom's last fiscal year, ended March 2012, was not a happy one, with lower sales and profits as compared to the previous year. However Capcom hopes for improvement, and to achieve this it intends to get those sequels out there just as fast as it can. Its two strengths, according to the report, are its developer creativity and its back catalogue of world-class content. Capcom feels that the best way to make use of those strengths is to shorten development time as much as it can.

"Among the multitude of major titles held by Capcom," said COO Haruhiro Tsujimoto , "such as Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Lost Planet, Dead Rising and many others, we will promote shortening of the sales cycle in pursuit of further earnings stabilisation and growth." Capcom's current production rate is a launch every 3-4 years, and it intends to slash that time to 2.5 years. Capcom's about to hire an additional 1,000 staff over the next 10 years to help cope with what will be an increased workload. "In addition," Tsujimoto added, "we will increase the number of titles released in a single year and expand earnings using a hybrid development model whereby the core portions of the project are developed in-house by Capcom and the process-work is outsourced to outside development companies."

Increased attention to after-sales profit opportunities is a big part of Capcom's strategy. Development teams will be working on sequels and DLC at the same time they're putting together the main launch. 15 titles in 10 years is their target, with popular content spreading out into every possible gaming niche. Smartphone apps, merch, concerts, film; Capcom intends to spread the love as much as physically possible.

"There is no doubt that the business environment is undergoing tremendous changes," Tsujimoto acknowledged, "However, I think these changes offer new opportunities for growth ... Traditional business ended with package games sold at stores, but now it begins after sales."

Source: Capcom [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-05-capcom-wants-less-time-between-sequels-so-is-shortening-development]

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I'd hate to say it but with how Capcoms been treating fans of their games that don't involve zombies or 250 button moves, they kinda deserve it.

I mean we've been asking for AAI2 for a year and a half now, still haven't gotton it. AA5 is a "mayabe". And you know what? Wright was put into UMbC3 cause of western fans and the manga sells very well. And they still say no one in the west likes that series.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Glad to hear Capcom has one foot in the grave and they are already trying to find the most effective way to dig out the rest of the dirt and bury themselves.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This is not at all surprising. Capcom's getting pretty good and churning out shit these days.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
If you fuck up dragon's dogma... I will never buy another capcom game ever.

Yes, I mad bro.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Produce more and faster to increase profit, what a discovery. Still i don't understand how business starts after the sales, if at all it just doesn't stop there.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
maybe starting to respect your consumer and fanbase, instead of ripping them of and then asking were it went wrong?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
RaikuFA said:
I mean we've been asking for AAI2 for a year and a half now, still haven't gotton it. AA5 is a "mayabe". And you know what? Wright was put into UMbC3 cause of western fans and the manga sells very well. And they still say no one in the west likes that series.
All of that is caused by Capcom being ruled by a commitee that thinks that America, Europe and Australia are full of numbskulls only interested in a title update of last years smash-hit FPS's.

The sad part is theyre not far from the truth.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I just want them to release a new Monster Hunter on PS3 in the West. Is that too much to ask?

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
I don't really see how people are coming down on Capcom for this, all they are doing is adjusting their production strategy to be more on par American publishers. They have to try to be competitive somehow. We can ***** and moan all we want, but our spending habits show that our voices should be ignored.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
So basically they're so terrified of their business falling apart right now they're going absolutely nucking futs. Oh well as long as I get an Asura's Wrath sequel at some point I'll be happy.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
isn't this, like, a fancier name for Valve's episodic system?
at least their fighting games are still pretty sweet
if there's one thing capcom truly knows how to do is making hot fighting game chicks and badass fighting game soundtracks

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:
I don't really see how people are coming down on Capcom for this, all they are doing is adjusting their production strategy to be more on par American publishers. They have to try to be competitive somehow. We can ***** and moan all we want, but our spending habits show that our voices should be ignored.
But they're not selling anything Western fans want, reread my post to see one example

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
Suddenly I am considerably less enthusiastic about a Dragon's Dogma sequel...
Why exactly they are aiming for a 2.5 year gap between each sequel which is still half a year longer than most other developers and they are hiring more people to achieve this without sacrificing quality sounds pretty good to me.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
getoffmycloud said:
Scars Unseen said:
Suddenly I am considerably less enthusiastic about a Dragon's Dogma sequel...
Why exactly they are aiming for a 2.5 year gap between each sequel which is still half a year longer than most other developers and they are hiring more people to achieve this without sacrificing quality sounds pretty good to me.
Because if there's anything that Bioware has taught us, it's that hiring more people guarantees quality.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Just tell Inti Creates to keep pumping out those old-school Mega Man games and we'll be okay.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Yeah fuck off Capcom you're welcome to roll over and die now. You've progressively killed off most of your franchises that I cared about, what with Viewtiful Joe being dead, Mega Man being re-buried, DMC likely to go that way even if the new game is good, Resident Evil losing eveyrhting that made Residently Evil special, etc, etc, etc.

Not to mention your constant attempts at being the Japanese EA but more evil.

Yeah.

Good riddance.