Captain America 3 Is About What?!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Captain America 3 Is About What?!

With Marvel's Civil War storyline making the jump to the movies, things are about to get interesting in the cinematic universe.

Read Full Article

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Burnouts3s3 said:
I'll be honest; I wasn't the biggest fan of Civil War.
Most people didn't like Civil War. The writers completely missed their guess as to who the fans would support.
I can't even believe that Marvel hasn't buried the memory of the series. It's like DC making a Countdown movie.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
So they're goin to do the Civil War story where most of the major players that aren't Cap and aren't Iron Man can't be shown. No Fantastic Four, no Spiderman, no Wolverine. You could get a Punisher in there, but considerin the MCU hasn't introduced the character yet and I haven't heard about anythin remotely involvin him it'd be a really strange tie in.

I do remember thinkin while the Civil War arc was goin on how extremely strange it was that the X-Men or really any mutants didn't join either side. It literally is the same story that was a central point of the X-Men universe for years and none of them care enough to have an opinion? The most I remember was a throwaway line about how they didn't want to get their fight tangled with the other superheroes fight, but that's such a cop-out that it boggles my mind.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
shintakie10 said:
So they're goin to do the Civil War story where most of the major players that aren't Cap and aren't Iron Man can't be shown. No Fantastic Four, no Spiderman, no Wolverine. You could get a Punisher in there, but considerin the MCU hasn't introduced the character yet and I haven't heard about anythin remotely involvin him it'd be a really strange tie in.

I do remember thinkin while the Civil War arc was goin on how extremely strange it was that the X-Men or really any mutants didn't join either side. It literally is the same story that was a central point of the X-Men universe for years and none of them care enough to have an opinion? The most I remember was a throwaway line about how they didn't want to get their fight tangled with the other superheroes fight, but that's such a cop-out that it boggles my mind.
Civil war happened just after House of M. There were only around 100 mutants left in the world so they chose not to take sides.

OT:

I have mixed feeling about this. I did not hate the civil war arc but it was not my favorite and I really don't see it working without the F4 or spidy. That being said I will not judge it until I see it. I only hope they don't exclude Doctor Strange like they did in the comics. His reason for not getting involved was in character but I really wanted to see what side he would pick.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Argh not that crappy Civil War. I was so happy I could ignore most of it and read the far superior Annihilation story that was going on at the same time.

In response to Civil War I give you this.

LostPause

Sep 20, 2013
JCAll said:
Most people didn't like Civil War. The writers completely missed their guess as to who the fans would support.
I can't even believe that Marvel hasn't buried the memory of the series. It's like DC making a Countdown movie.
Except that as a concept the Civil War scenario is intriguing with lots of potential for both some though-provoking social commentary as well as some actually decent reasons for superheroes to be fighting one another with some actual consequence.

It's arguably the most suitable crossover event ever to bring to the Marvel Movie Universe that'd struggle to incorporate more complicated plotlines involving Skrull invasions, time-travel or alternate universes. The chief obstacle to overcome will surely be adapting the idea to suit the characters better than the comic Civil War did. The Civil War didn't do nearly enough work to establish a consistent basis for Tony Stark's dissonant descent that saw him jump from supporting the relatively harmless yet highly exploitable Registration Act to working with villains and having Superhero prison camps.

Personally I felt that ideologically speaking it would have made much more sense for Captain America to be the one to go overboard in support of governmental oversight and that main reason they plumped for Stark doing so is that the fans would be less resistant to the idea of Tony being in the wrong and acting like an ass than Steve doing the same.

Hopefully the movies will use more nuance with their adaptation of this idea and won't simply paint the pro-reg heroes as immoderate fascists and the anti-reg people as principled rebels.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
LostPause said:
JCAll said:
Personally I felt that ideologically speaking it would have made much more sense for Captain America to be the one to go overboard in support of governmental oversight and that main reason they plumped for Stark doing so is that the fans would be less resistant to the idea of Tony being in the wrong and acting like an ass than Steve doing the same.
Also having Captain America unironically open up a concentration camp would have just been a whirlwind of bad publicity.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'm... A bit hesitant about the idea, really. The idea is interesting enough, but then it had to turn all political and that kinda ruined everything. Hopefully, writers won't make the same mistakes... (Crosses fingers and knocks on wood)

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Civil War was a story which was an amazing concept, but the execution landed flat on its face.

The major issues was the lack of consistency. Marvel didn't say what the registration actually was, not even to the writers, so you ended up with the problem of some stories treating it as just "fill out this file to let the government know who you are and what you can do", while others treated it as "you are working for us and must do whatever we tell you, and if you don't we will kick your door in at midnight and drag you to the Negative Zone kicking and screaming the whole way".

With all the inconsistencies and the writers being split on the issue, the whole thing ended up being a mess. Which is too bad because it had the opportunity to be a very great morally ambiguous story where neither side is objectively or morally more right or wrong then the other, and which you believe is would be down to belief.

If they do use it for the movies, it probably will end up much better then the comics due to the mandated consistency in the stories on top of the cooperation between writers.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
LostPause said:
JCAll said:
Except that as a concept the Civil War scenario is intriguing with lots of potential for both some though-provoking social commentary as well as some actually decent reasons for superheroes to be fighting one another with some actual consequence.

It's arguably the most suitable crossover event ever to bring to the Marvel Movie Universe that'd struggle to incorporate more complicated plotlines involving Skrull invasions, time-travel or alternate universes. The chief obstacle to overcome will surely be adapting the idea to suit the characters better than the comic Civil War did. The Civil War didn't do nearly enough work to establish a consistent basis for Tony Stark's dissonant descent that saw him jump from supporting the relatively harmless yet highly exploitable Registration Act to working with villains and having Superhero prison camps.

Hopefully the movies will use more nuance with their adaptation of this idea and won't simply paint the pro-reg heroes as immoderate fascists and the anti-reg people as principled rebels.
It fits even less with Cap's personality and history to Support the Government over the people than it does for Tony. The whole point of Captain America as a character is that he fights for the people of the nation not it's government.

He's fought against the government each time they've tried to get him to do something he finds something he's morally opposed to. That's where US Agent came from The government wanted someone they could control when Cap didn't follow an order he found unconstitutional.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
It could be interesting. The issues raised in the story (from what I remember) are still relevant, and I'm sure they could come up with writers that would do a great job with it...but I dunno. It certainly is a good idea to bring the issues to a wider audience (comprising people that might not be following it, or following it that closely), and get more people into the debate about civil liberties in the modern age, but the more I think about it, the more this quote keeps coming back to me (oddly enough, from another Marvel character, Squirrel Girl):

"Maybe it's just me, but I'm not crazy about super hero stories where everything's all dark and moody. Personally, I like the ones where good guys fight giant apes on the moon and stuff. Remember those? I do. That was back when comic book worlds were places you wanted to escape to... not from."
I'm not saying that the Movieverse should shy away from subjects like this, but it's not as if there isn't enough of it on the news on a regular basis. Time will tell, I guess.

- THM

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
With Civil War i think it will be a slight rumble in CA3 and something that will grow over a number of movies until a final escalation. I doubt they will start and end it in one movie.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Winnosh said:
Argh not that crappy Civil War. I was so happy I could ignore most of it and read the far superior Annihilation story that was going on at the same time.

In response to Civil War I give you this.
Argh, I was just about to do the same.

But, yes, Annihilation was amazing, and this scene is but one of many reasons why Richard Rider is my favorite Marvel hero.

... Miss you, Rich.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
THM said:
It could be interesting. The issues raised in the story (from what I remember) are still relevant, and I'm sure they could come up with writers that would do a great job with it...but I dunno. It certainly is a good idea to bring the issues to a wider audience (comprising people that might not be following it, or following it that closely), and get more people into the debate about civil liberties in the modern age, but the more I think about it, the more this quote keeps coming back to me (oddly enough, from another Marvel character, Squirrel Girl):

"Maybe it's just me, but I'm not crazy about super hero stories where everything's all dark and moody. Personally, I like the ones where good guys fight giant apes on the moon and stuff. Remember those? I do. That was back when comic book worlds were places you wanted to escape to... not from."
I'm not saying that the Movieverse should shy away from subjects like this, but it's not as if there isn't enough of it on the news on a regular basis. Time will tell, I guess.

- THM
Honestly, I'd like to see them do something darker for once. It seems like almost all of their movies are tonally identical: Happy go lucky. Winter Soldier was the first to go in a darker direction, and while I had a lot of issues with the movie, the different tone was something I enjoyed.

People complained about DC movies always being so dark, but when you think about it, it's only been 4 movies which have been spread out over a long period of time. I'd like Marvel to try this out (just don't do a Man of Steel), we've had around 8 movies with the happy go lucky tone, try something else so we aren't watching the same thing.

If they can execute it correctly, I think this story-line will be a breath of fresh air for the series.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Somehow I can't see Iron Man getting all buddy-buddy with a government registration program after that courtroom bit in Iron Man 2...
Although, as a regular squishy person I'd be all for the government knowing about who can shoot lasers out of their ass. Did you SEE all the colateral damage in the Avengers? So... Team Stark, I guess :p

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Floppertje said:
Somehow I can't see Iron Man getting all buddy-buddy with a government registration program after that courtroom bit in Iron Man 2...
Although, as a regular squishy person I'd be all for the government knowing about who can shoot lasers out of their ass. Did you SEE all the colateral damage in the Avengers? So... Team Stark, I guess :p
Yes but would you be up for the government forcing every one with some sort of special ability into a military police force against their will and using them against American Citizens.

They weren't just taking people with powers, they were taking anyone of exceptional ability, Even if that person had never put on a costume or fought a bank robber.