Captain America 3 Is About What?!

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
I have been dreading this ever since the Hydra reveal in Cap 2. The biggest strength of the Marvel movies is even with each standing as part of something bigger, each film so far has stood on it's own too (even if Iron Man 2 wobbled a little). If we end up with something like Civil War overshadowing an entire phase of the movies, it's going to be very difficult to keep that up. Each film will either have to just assume people have watched everything else to date, or will have to devote huge time to explaining why everyone hates each other now.

Plus am I the only one thinking that they don't have enough Robert Downey Jr to make this work? As I understood he was signed for 6 films, 4 of which are in the bag, and everyone had assumed that these would be Avengers 2 & 3. Now we know that he is in Avengers 2, and has all but said he won't sign up to any more movies to play Stark, so if they use him in Cap 3 that's him done. No Avengers 3, no Mega crossover, or is my maths wrong somewhere?

Now as an alternative, at the end of Iron Man 3 we still had Iron Patriot kicking around, I could get on board with the idea of James Rhodes as a serviceman and as Iron Patriot fronting a pro-registration movement, and they wouldn't have to use one of their Robert Downey Jr credits (not to mention save his salary) to make it happen.

LostPause

Sep 20, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Captain America doesn't do that sort of thing, though. This is the guy who took off the costume because he objected to the government in the 80s.

Tony Stark, however, has done some similar, sweeping things in the past. Maybe not as far as the registration act, but enough to say it's in his character and ideology.
Yeah, I understand that Steve Rogers' comicbook portrayal is almost infuriatingly saintly in that he rarely have to deal with the consequences of being on the wrong side of an issue. As far as I can recall the most guilt he's ever shown is over Bucky [which wasn't all that necessary anyway]. Given that one of the defining themes of his stories is that he's a bit of a 'fish out of water' and anachronistically traditional, his instinctively good grasp of situations kinda stymies his capacity for learning from mistakes and developing as a character. It also means that anyone who opposes him generally comes off looking worse for it.

I was looking ahead [perhaps a little too far] when I spoke about Iron Man and Cap-I had the MCU in mind, considering how they might want to deal with a 'Civil War' style story. RDJ's Tony Stark seems like an even unlikier supporter of Registration given how he's generally been the least eager to join in with S.H.I.E.L.D. [who operate only one or two steps away from Registration-syle activities] and has been very clear that he would not be happy turning over his technology for government use.

I guess that the emergence of some new superpowers or, indeed, an incident where one of his unmanned Iron Man suits led to collateral damage could conceivably be used to instigate his change of heart but as things stand the people in the MCU who logically would support registration aren't the Avengers but S.H.I.E.L.D.

Funnily enough, I think that the one major marvel character who might work well as a kick-off for Civil War style arguments among the Avengers would be Punisher. Sure it'd be more about vigilantism and making heroes accountable for their actions than superpowers and secret identities but I feel it could be done satisfactorily.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Others in this thread have mention it as well, but I've gotta chime in. They don't have enough super heroes. No X-men, no spidey, no deadpool, no thunderbolts. Assuming it starts with Tony Stark launching The Hulk into outer space, they will have no Hulk either. Hawkeye, Falcon and Black Widow are already government agents with no super powers, Thor is not a citizen of earth so....... who besides Captain America and Tony Stark would be affected by it?

"We, the US government have decreed that all super-heroes on earth, namely these two guys, must reveal their identities and register under the avengers initiative (or 50 state initiative). Whats that? We already know who they both are? And they both already work for us? Well that was fucking easy."

Having said all that, I really loved to hate Reed Richards and Tony Stark back during the civil war and am looking forward to seeing how they do this.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Bob pointed out a big problem with comic book "events": there's too damn many that revolve around heroes fighting other heroes. Why have villains at all then? The last big ones that had it were Avengers vs. X-Men and, I think, Trinity War or Forever Evil. What I'd like to see is villains fighting each other, and whether or not it has any real-world allegory potential, it could at least be really funny. Somebody has to sit some of these comic writers and editors down and have a little chit-chat about that. And the mass slaughter of civilians with body counts in the thousands, because that has a ton of disturbing implications. Makes that Squirrel Girl quote from earlier all the more poignant.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Winnosh said:
Argh not that crappy Civil War. I was so happy I could ignore most of it and read the far superior Annihilation story that was going on at the same time.

In response to Civil War I give you this.
I miss Richard Ryder. It was so great to actually see a character mature and grow from a forgotten 80s teen hero to one of the universes greatest champions. It's the sort of change that can't happen with the main marvel setting where status quo is god.

The new Nova is a fun comic, but basically just feels like ultimate spider-man in space.

2010 was actually a bad year to be a favourite hero of mine:
Nightcrawler
Cable
Starlord
Nova
Ares

All dead.

I mean three of them are back and rocking around. But it doesn't look like Nova or Ares are coming back.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LostPause said:
I was looking ahead [perhaps a little too far] when I spoke about Iron Man and Cap-I had the MCU in mind, considering how they might want to deal with a 'Civil War' style story. RDJ's Tony Stark seems like an even unlikier supporter of Registration given how he's generally been the least eager to join in with S.H.I.E.L.D. [who operate only one or two steps away from Registration-syle activities] and has been very clear that he would not be happy turning over his technology for government use.
Well, comic book Tony waffles between personal responsibility and grandiosity so often he could probably win the real world Republican nomination despite being a fictional character. Kind of a flaw with comics that people tend to learn the same lessons over and over again. Or a benefit. I really liked Extremis, even if the story retread a lot of Tony's person growth over the years.

But given the events of IM3, I could see MCU Tony being one or two big event from supporting registration. Depending, of course, on what registration is, since I'm hoping the movie would define it better than the comics.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
I love the potential for this because I've seen it done well in fandom and I like the conflict itself.

But, I'm not excited for this movie or the Ultron one because a) They already kind of threw away The Avengers before they really even did anything with them (Iron Man quit, Cap America became just another grunt for the heavily infiltrated and compromised SHIELD, Hawkeye just vanished and Coulson was brutally sidelined) and b) Unlike comics or books, every single actor we know and love now has a shelf date on them. We probably won't get a 'proper' Avengers story out of them (or maybe even a proper civil war one, if it stays a 'Cap America' flick instead of an 'everyone' flick) because their remaining contractual obligations will have to be used to introduce their cheaper, younger replacements - and who cares about them?

As Bob pointed out in passing, in the comics the civil war story line had a hell of a lot more punch to it *because* Tony and Steve were so close - their split, and the split of heroes behind them, was shocking. All we have so far is initial conflict + maybe grudging acceptance at the end of Avengers (not even any mention of each other in follow up movies) - no split on ideological lines between these two will have anywhere near the impact it should.

Also, I'm calling a Star Trek reboot move - Tony will be the one who gets shot.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I have faith in the studio, but the reason that I dislike Civil War is because it will give ammo (hah) to the second ammendment bores

Overhead

Apr 29, 2012
Civil War in the comics was an event with a lot of promise that was foiled by poor execution. There was no consistent tone to the pro-registration forces and from comic to comic and writer to writer they went from reasonable people looking for some safeguards to monstrous totalitarian monsters with an army of super-villains.

Not to mention some individual scenes, like the Sally Floyd Nascar speech or the Goliath burial, were just incredibly stupid.

That said, I trust Marvel. Their films so far have been great. We don't know how they're going to play this, but I trust them to do it well.

Aristatide

Jul 19, 2014
You know, this isn't actually confirmed yet. RDJ will appear in a non-cameo role in Captain America 3. That's it. That's the whole thing we actually know, which means this weekend of furious speculation and wank over said speculation has given me a hell of a headache.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
To be honest, I thought the governments were registering powered beings, it makes sense that they would, hydra is, shield is, even Prof X keeps a track of who has which power.

For the record, I'm #teamstark

Overhead

Apr 29, 2012
Evil Smurf said:
To be honest, I thought the governments were registering powered beings, it makes sense that they would, hydra is, shield is, even Prof X keeps a track of who has which power.

SHIELD was keeping track of them and Cap 2 showed why that kind of intrusion could be bad, because it almost got them all killed.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Overhead said:
Evil Smurf said:

SHIELD was keeping track of them and Cap 2 showed why that kind of intrusion could be bad, because it almost got them all killed.
I'd forgotten about that film :D