Captain America: The Winter Soldier Releases First Official Trailer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Captain America: The Winter Soldier Releases First Official Trailer

Captain America: The Winter Soldier brings the Star-Spangled Avenger out of retirement to clean house at SHIELD.

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark," or in this case SHIELD as far as I can tell, and it's up to Captain America to stop it! Aided by the Black Widow, who ironically began her career as a Russian spy and assassin, and a new ally, the Falcon, the Cap cleans house - but things get tricky when he runs into the Winter Soldier!

The first official trailer for the coming Captain America flick raises some very interesting questions. How much does a helicarrier cost, and who underwrites them? How much did they pay Robert Redford to appear in this thing? Is it just my imagination or is this some kind of pyrotechnic CGI-driven allegory for the creeping influence of the NSA and other government agencies that are insidiously intruding on our personal privacy and freedom? And perhaps most important of all, who is Cap supposed to be fighting in this thing?

Great hero movies, generally speaking, need a great villain. Batman had not just one but two brilliant Jokers; Spider-Man had Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus; Jeff Bridges brought wonderful menace to Iron Man; and Tom Hiddleston's Loki gave life to both The Avengers and Thor. The Winter Soldier has... the Winter Soldier? I think I'd rather spend 90 minutes watching him fight Batroc.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier hits screens on March 26, 2014.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Looks good. I'm hoping they don't drop the ball on Winter Soldier the way it was, in my opinion, dropped with Bane in Rises. I liked him up until the 3rd act reveal.

Falcon looks cool. Glad to see more African heroes being utilized, being of African decent myself. Decent halloween costumes have been difficult to come by.

Edit: First thoughts about Winter Soldier as a villain (not being terribly familiar with Cap's rogues gallery):

What if Winter Soldier wasn't Cap's long lost friend, now brainwashed but instead Cap's long lost friend that has replaced his ideals with a cold, cynical, "realism?" He "sees the world the way it really is," and is doing what must be done "for the greater good."
Not unlike Magneto's relationship to Xavier. Both believe that their way is the right way. Captain America is "freedom. choice. liberty." Winter Soldier is "rule with an iron fist."

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Did they change the actor for Black Widow?

Sorry haven't been keeping up with the news.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Man, the "car salto" is so overplayed.

This movie honestly doesn't look like anything other than an excuse to keep Captain America in the picture for the next Avengers flick.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Alright, Bucky and Falcon. They're bringing in more characters. I like the new Cap suit too. It looks a lot more subtle than the last one.

Edit: I'm actually excited for this one. I didn't bother seeing the first Captain America until well after release.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Marik2 said:
Did they change the actor for Black Widow?

Sorry haven't been keeping up with the news.
Nope that's still Scarlet Johansson only reason she might look different is they didn't bother giving her curls this time.

As for the movie. Looks cool. I like that they finally touched up his outfit so that it doesn't look completely stupid. Overall looks like might be a good movie instead of just being a good Captain America movie.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Can't believe they straightened her curls...

Looks to be good overall, though. I feel they're slowly pushing towards the Civil War arc..

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Makabriel said:

Looks to be good overall, though. I feel they're slowly pushing towards the Civil War arc..
Man! As epic as that would be, they'd need to get a lot more characters well established for the "choosing sides" to have the impact it needs. Plus, where on earth would that fit into the Universe that's going cosmic with Guardians of the Galaxy? Can't see them going "Thanos," and then bringing it back down to civil war.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
The trailer is pretty great and I really dig the Winter Soldier costume. Looks like a badass ninja.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
"If you want to make some enemies, try to change something." -Woodrow Wilson, quoted by Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution
I am stoked for this movie! I don't care what the haters say, this is gonna kick ass. As for The Winter Soldier, I think, like the comics, he's having his strings pulled by an even bigger and more secretive threat.
As for the philosophical side of things, maybe this movie will have a more mature and even-sided discussion of how much the government can do to protect the people than what I've been hearing, well, everywhere else. And then I will laugh my ass off if that comes to pass.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I hope that they still keep a lot of the practical effects like they did in The First Avenger. Is Joe Johnston still directing or has he been replaced?

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Aww, I liked Cap's old uniform, this one just looks like the standard 'black leather with a logo on the front'.

Other than that, though, it'll be interesting to see where this goes. A twentieth-century man fighting for a twenty-first-century organization has a lot of potential. Sure, they're probably going to waste it on fight scenes and action movie cliches, but those will probably be enjoyable too.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
I hope that they still keep a lot of the practical effects like they did in The First Avenger. Is Joe Johnston still directing or has he been replaced?
No this time is the Russo brothers. Also if I recall correctly from an interview, they said they wanted to keep a lot of practical effects.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Makabriel said:

Well, if they're opting for that, they'll probably have to wait until Avengers 4 at the earliest (2 is Ultron, 3 is Thanos), which gives them plenty of time to expand the Marvel Movie universe (and get the rights back for Spiderman, X-Men, and any others that are outside the studio[footnote]Where is Frank Castle being imprisoned, anyways?[/footnote]).

OT: You'd think after their track record for helicarrier incidents they'd stick to leaving them in the water.

Chris Umstadter

Jun 21, 2011
Oh Andy, do some research on who The Winter Soldier is before you say it's boring. Also, Batroc is in the movie, so yeah, you do get to see that fight. Disregard if your post was sarcastic.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Makabriel said:

I hope not. Civil War was awful and it doesn't really work without the X-Men or Spider-Man.

I'm excited for this one though. Cap was my favourite of the original 5 movies and finally gave him the movie he deserved after 3 awful ones. I guess there's the 40s version but nobody even knows about that.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
The Gentleman said:
Where is Frank Castle being imprisoned, anyways?
As far as I know they actually have the rights to The Punisher back, but I think that awful war zone film that was released was by them (under the Marvel Knights banner). I'd love to see them have a proper attempt though!

O/T this is looking pretty awesome, but to be fair I've loved all of The Avengers films so far.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm excited. Very much along the way that Cap sees things in the books. Always questioning, always looking for a spot of tyranny in his vaunted and much loved America (as he remembers it, not necessarily as it is now).