Captain America: The Winter Soldier Releases First Official Trailer

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
I remembered hearing that they were going for a more spy thriller direction with Cap 2 at Comic-Con. Nice to see that tone they were going for get executed nicely by the trailer. I'm also digging the new suit, the old one was a bit to flashy and cartoony, the navy blue looks much more a kin to his bad.ass. suit in the first movie.

I'm pretty hyped, can't wait!

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Really really happy to see another movie with the Cap. The First Avenger really was a pleasant surprise, so I'm keeping cautiously optimistic about this one. The trailer was slick as hell, had goosebumps when I saw Fury. Seriously, long live Sam Jackson, that man is gold.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
looks pretty action heavy but if the movie would be over 2 hours, and still can squeeze in some story, i think we can relax a bit.
looks otherwise good. might watch it once its out.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Alright, you got me. Here's my money.

I got the tickle that in the back of my brain watching the movie. I have questions, and only the movie will give me the answers I seek. Unlike the Thor movie I'm looking forward to this one.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Count me the fuck in! Captain America - The First Avenger was an awesome flick, and this looks like an excellent follow up.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
The real shame with the marvel movie universe is we're never going to see the Fury/Black Widow/Falcon/Cap/Hawkeye personalities play out.

They just dont mesh with their current goals for the movies. But I gotta say those 5 and their interactions are some of the better work in the comics. Especially since most of the list are just highly trained professionals, not supers.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I like the line about freedom, seems to understand what the character is all about, plus I like that they're going to show Cap completely floor groups of guys. While I like the first film and the Avengers, Cap really needs to come off more as a badass.

The darker suit though? The Avengers-universe had more colour than most other comic films up to this point.

I hope Coulson makes some form of an appearance, he's his biggest fan.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Oh me oh my...

This looks great!

Andy Chalk said:
Great hero movies, generally speaking, need a great villain. Batman had not just one but two brilliant Jokers; Spider-Man had Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus; Jeff Bridges brought wonderful menace to Iron Man; and Tom Hiddleston's Loki gave life to both The Avengers and Thor. The Winter Soldier has... the Winter Soldier? I think I'd rather spend 90 minutes watching him fight Batroc.
You didn't read the comic, did you? You don't know who Winter Soldier is? It was one of the most significant arcs in Captain America's history, it did the unthinkable. OK, Winter Soldier as an antagonist was never an iconic villain like the ones you mentioned (he didn't stick around in that role once the arc was over), but this is going to be anything but dull!

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Stabby Joe said:
The darker suit though? The Avengers-universe had more colour than most other comic films up to this point.

The darker suit is about function over form. He's no longer the solider/propaganda tool that he was during world war 2. He's a tactical soldier that requires stealth. It's more uniform than "blazing symbol of patriotism to inspire pride." The world has changed, and that's likely one of the themes on which the movie will touch. The in your face, "American and proud," our government is bigger than yours, attitude is no longer chic. It's about espionage now.

Would you tell soldiers going into battle that they need to lose their camouflage uniforms and switch to uniforms that prominently feature the colors of their nation's flags because "patriotism?" The purpose of the uniform in Avengers (designed in part by Coulson) was because Captain America needed to be a overt symbol in the eyes of the people while taking on Loki (and company). That's not longer the case. Cap's no longer a flag to be paraded around. He's a scalpel used surgically.

Also, I'm betting that the uniform will be a part of his arc: he adopts SHIELDs uniform and their cause, giving them the benefit of the doubt. He'll probably return to his original uniform when he accepts that SHIELD is about ruling with fear as opposed to governing with freedom. Adopting his original uniform would be symbolic of him casting off SHIELD's belief and displaying his own proudly. I wouldn't be surprised if Falcon's costume starts out the same way - SHIELD issued black/blue. Then he becomes a soaring (figuratively and literally), "flamboyant" symbol freedom and "rising above," wearing his more traditional red costume by the end.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
tdylan said:
Stabby Joe said:

The darker suit is about function over form. He's no longer the solider/propaganda tool that he was during world war 2. He's a tactical soldier that requires stealth. It's more uniform than "blazing symbol of patriotism to inspire pride." The world has changed, and that's likely one of the themes on which the movie will touch. The in your face, "American and proud," our government is bigger than yours, attitude is no longer chic. It's about espionage now.

Would you tell soldiers going into battle that they need to lose their camouflage uniforms and switch to uniforms that prominently feature the colors of their nation's flags because "patriotism?" The purpose of the uniform in Avengers (designed in part by Coulson) was because Captain America needed to be a overt symbol in the eyes of the people while taking on Loki (and company). That's not longer the case. Cap's no longer a flag to be paraded around. He's a scalpel used surgically.

Also, I'm betting that the uniform will be a part of his arc: he adopts SHIELDs uniform and their cause, giving them the benefit of the doubt. He'll probably return to his original uniform when he accepts that SHIELD is about ruling with fear as opposed to governing with freedom. Adopting his original uniform would be symbolic of him casting off SHIELD's belief and displaying his own proudly. I wouldn't be surprised if Falcon's costume starts out the same way - SHIELD issued black/blue. Then he becomes a soaring (figuratively and literally), "flamboyant" symbol freedom and "rising above," wearing his more traditional red costume by the end.
I didn't say it had to be bright red, white and blue and I understand the function over form of it/SHIELD imagery. After the Avengers next to Man of Steel/Dark Knight though, I've come to have a personal preference of colour variety over dark shades (something beyond just comic book films). It's like the first X-Men next to First Class. Just a minor preference, not a major deciding factor though. Who knows, I might have a change of mind once I see it.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Oh look, a serious tone in a post avengers movie. See marvel, that doesn't hurt, does it?
The movie looks better than I expected, i hope it won't be the same let down that Iron Man 3 was.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Looks pretty good. I was impressed with the first movie too (went in thinking it'd be crap). So now I have hope. Stupid naive hope...

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Looks good for the most part.

I liked the "Two fisted tales" pulp action feel of the first movie quite a bit and I fear they may have dropped that in favor of a standard action adventure punch up.

Purest speculation here is that as the second cycle of Marvel movies come out we're going to see a bit more of the ideological schism between The Avengers and SHIELD that was hinted at in this trailer. Largely as a way to get SHIELD out of the picture as the central plot device, but also to give room for Tony Stark to flex his technological muscle in outfitting the Avengers and ultimately developing Ultron.

My hope is that as the MCU expands into other films not necessarily related to The Avengers that this will ultimately play out in a larger cross over film adaptation of Civil War

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Well, I hope they are gearing up for a Civil War movie after the next Avengers. That's the only reason why I am interested.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
bringer of illumination said:
Cap spends a bit too much time in casual douche-wear and a bit too little in his uniform.

But otherwise the movie looks good.

I'm hype.
Let's just hope that's not reflected in the movie.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I'm on the same boat as Moviebob with not being on board in regards to the new costume, but, overall, the trailer is highly promising. Seeing Captain America, after the invasion of New York, settle into the modern world but struggle against the darker aspects of SHIELD and the US Government is an interesting premise. Can a man brought up during the idealistic times of WWII have a place in the more cynical and corrupt 21st century? I wish they'd offer more on the Winter Soldier and make the viewers question who he is and who is pulling his strings. Guess they're saving that for the next trailer or we might get some info in the end credit reveals for Thor: The Dark World.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Is the Winter Soldier his friend who falls off the train in the first one? I'm not up on comic book stuff.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Cautiously optimistic about this one. I didn't really like The First Avenger on first viewing, however second time around I really enjoyed it.

The trailer looks good - but then so did Iron Man 3's trailer. Please don't be another Iron Man 3 (I'm already afraid Thor is going that way).