Cardboard Tube Samurai To Appear In Tekken 6

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
I read about this last night. I don't particularly like Tekken, but you can be sure as hell that I'm going to pick up a copy of T6.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
scotth266 said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Just a shame that Tekken is such a garbage frat-boy fighting game. I'd be more interested to see him in an actual fighting game.
I fail to see why people diss Tekken for being a "frat-boy" fighter. I like it. Better than SoulCalibur: that stuff is WAAAAAAY too complicated.

I look forward to beating people down with my tubes.
Tekken is the epitome of button mashers. There are some combos involved, but little strategy. It's basically something you play while getting drunk with the bros without having to worry about that one guy who's too good at the game. Granted that all fighting games have some degree of button-mashing success, but Tekken is the worst at it. The better a fighting game, the less successful you can be by just mashing buttons. Street Fighter 4, for example, you will lose every match if you just button-mash (unless your opponent is doing the same).

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Broken Wings said:
Thank god Tekken 6 decided to hop on over to the 360. I'm serious I'm only ever going to use him (and if you have to unlock him I'll only play as him after he's unlocked). THE TUBE IS CIVILIZATION!
You said it, THE TUBE IS CIVILIZATION!

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
not the first time it's appeared in a game, i believe one of the hitman games had a cheat code to get you a cardboard tube as a weapon

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Tekken is the epitome of button mashers. There are some combos involved, but little strategy. It's basically something you play while getting drunk with the bros without having to worry about that one guy who's too good at the game.
Nice try. I used to be a button-masher who played against skilled opponents, and I lost every game. I also beat the same opponents in SF4 by button-mashing. Whether or not you can win at a fighter with button-mashing is entirely circumstantial.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
If I had a console to run Tekken 6, I'd be more excited. It was fun when I played it in the arcade, though, and the Tube is Civilization, so that's still pretty cool.

scotth266 said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Just a shame that Tekken is such a garbage frat-boy fighting game. I'd be more interested to see him in an actual fighting game.
I fail to see why people diss Tekken for being a "frat-boy" fighter. I like it. Better than SoulCalibur: that stuff is WAAAAAAY too complicated.
Really? I always found it to be exactly the opposite. Soul Calibur's movelists tend to be three buttons (A,B,K, with three other combinations) with seven different directions (plus five running directions), a universal parry, and standing/crouching/jumping attacks if you wanted to get really complicated. Tekken's tend to be four buttons, with little guarantee of what the buttons will do (1,2,3,4, with numerous other combinations), moves that change only with certain directions, two different "running" direction presses (f,f and f,F, given enough distance), etc. And ten-hit combos.

And juggling. Soul Calibur's juggle physics are nothing on Tekken's.

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
Oh God, webcomics are an actual part of gaming culture now? NUKE 'EM FROM ORBIT!! IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE!!!

Just kidding, this looks sweet. I'm now definitely looking forward to Tekken 6.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
Really? I always found it to be exactly the opposite. Soul Calibur's movelists tend to be three buttons (A,B,K, with three other combinations) with seven different directions (plus five running directions), a universal parry, and standing/crouching/jumping attacks if you wanted to get really complicated. Tekken's tend to be four buttons, with little guarantee of what the buttons will do (1,2,3,4, with numerous other combinations), moves that change only with certain directions, two different "running" direction presses (f,f and f,F, given enough distance), etc. And ten-hit combos.

That's just the thing: I never felt that learning all the combos and stances was necessary for victory in Tekken. You can pick a certain character, and play it according to your own tastes, and still stand a chance. In the case of Soul Calibur, you need to know EVERYTHING in order to attain victory. It's just too much thought involved for my tastes. Not to mention the combos in SC aren't easy. Remember Ivy's delightful stick-breaker?

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
scotth266 said:
Nice try. I used to be a button-masher who played against skilled opponents, and I lost every game. I also beat the same opponents in SF4 by button-mashing. Whether or not you can win at a fighter with button-mashing is entirely circumstantial.
Skills in Tekken don't really guarantee skills in Street Fighter, though. Both are fighting games but I'd argue they require different sets of skills.

NeutralDrow said:
Really? I always found it to be exactly the opposite.
Not to mention "basic" movement includes backdash canceling, character specific movement tricks (wavedashing, foxstepping, e-stepping...) and all that sort of nice stuff. Namco has just basically kept piling on different mechanics and haven't really checked whether something should be thrown out. Admittedly Sega has been doing a bit of the same thing with Virtua Fighter but they've been much more conservative about it.

Both in Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter a crouching jab is still down+punch on every character for instance. In Tekken, that isn't quite guaranteed.

But yeah, those juggles that take a guaranteed 3/4 of your life are the thing that turns me off from Tekken the most. Almost every other game seems to have a counter to that sort of crap (circuit sparking, bursting, mega crashing) but I guess it's Tekken's defining feature by now. Since Tekken 2 at least.

scotth266 said:
That's just the thing: I never felt that learning all the combos and stances was necessary for victory in Tekken.
Errrr... weren't you just posting how you lost every Tekken match to players more skilled than you?

Unless you mean someone your own level but in that case isn't it completely irrelevant what fighting game you're playing? I mean, if you're button mashing and all.

Also, Ivy is created to be hard, stupid as that idea is. It'd be the same if I posted complaining about doing EWGF's with Mishima's. Those are at least as hard to pull off consistently.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Woe Is You said:
Skills in Tekken don't really guarantee skills in Street Fighter, though. Both are fighting games but I'd argue they require different sets of skills.

Errrr... weren't you just posting how you lost every Tekken match to players more skilled than you?

Unless you mean someone your own level but in that case isn't it completely irrelevant what fighting game you're playing? I mean, if you're button mashing and all.
To the first part: like I said, it's entirely circumstantial whether or not you can win any fighting game via button-mashing.

To the second: I was emphasizing the "feel" that both games gave me. Tekken gives off the feeling that you can master the basics and still be competent (which I did, and then proceeded to button-mash them), but getting a grip on the advanced stuff is even better. Soul Calibur, on the other hand, tells me that if I haven't mastered every little aspect of it I'll get my butt handed to me on a silver platter.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Tekken is the epitome of button mashers. There are some combos involved, but little strategy. It's basically something you play while getting drunk with the bros without having to worry about that one guy who's too good at the game. Granted that all fighting games have some degree of button-mashing success, but Tekken is the worst at it. The better a fighting game, the less successful you can be by just mashing buttons. Street Fighter 4, for example, you will lose every match if you just button-mash (unless your opponent is doing the same).
Obviously, you haven't played Soul Calibur against a button-mashing Maxi player (particularly in the original).

I sometimes find button mashers more dangerous than skilled players in Tekken or Soul Calibur, just by the fact that they don't know what they're doing. You have no way of predicting what they would do, so you would have to jump in at every opportunity instead of turtling and attacking only when it's safest.

The only thing I don't really like about Tekken is that juggle combos are too powerful. Most combos are based around juggling (because of its aforementioned power), and once you're in the air, the only thing you can do is pray that the enemy messes his timing, ending the combo. Which is why I really like the Air Control system in Soul Calibur (when knocked into the air, you have limited control as to where you will fall, allowing you to escape your opponent's cleaver if he somehow predicted where you would land wrong).

EDIT:
scotth266 said:
Remember Ivy's delightful stick-breaker?
Dude, that sounded so good and so painful at the same time.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
scotth266 said:
To the first part: like I said, it's entirely circumstantial whether or not you can win any fighting game via button-mashing.
I wouldn't say it's completely circumstantial but it also has to do with who these skilled players are and how consistently you're able to beat them by just mashing buttons. If your friend is Justin Wong (the current US champion at SF4) for example and you beat him 5 times out of 10 by just hitting the buttons as hard as you can, then it's not all that circumstantial and the game is just stupid.

I'm decent at SF4 but to not be beaten by button mashers I have to play in this really boring turtling style using Chun (which I have... in tournaments). If the opponent knows his shit I have to go a bit more offensive with Blanka and/or Cammy. I'd rather just go full-on if it's a casual match and even better if it evens out the playing field.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
scotth266 said:
NeutralDrow said:

That's just the thing: I never felt that learning all the combos and stances was necessary for victory in Tekken. You can pick a certain character, and play it according to your own tastes, and still stand a chance. In the case of Soul Calibur, you need to know EVERYTHING in order to attain victory. It's just too much thought involved for my tastes. Not to mention the combos in SC aren't easy. Remember Ivy's delightful stick-breaker?
And again, my experience has been exactly the opposite. As long as you know how to poke and mix up highs and lows, you'd do fine against any non-advanced person in SC.

...okay, so it's been almost the opposite. I never felt learning everything was necessary in Tekken, either. My strategy as Armor King is basically "keep them away, run up for Shining Wizard, and if they get close, throw." If I know a lot more about Soul Calibur's system, it's only because I found it a lot easier to pick up.

And I'll see your Summon Suffering and raise you King's Rolling Death Cradle. It's probably up to individual preference, but I find 376231+A+B and 653+1+4->2,1,1+2+3->1+3,3+4,2+4,1+2,1+2+3 to be equally challenging...not to mention equally unnecessary to win. In fact, if I'm playing Ivy and my opponent's in throw range, I've screwed up somewhere.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I'm guessing that this is what one can do with the character customization mode on Yoshimitsu.

Also, Tekken is a button-masher in much the same way that all fighting games are button-mashers: sure, you might be able to get somewhere on Medium difficulty, but I'm pretty certain that a Tekken Lord on Ultra Hard will not let that shit fly, and players like myself definitely don't let that shit fly.