Carless

Oct 2, 2012
I have a license but no car. I've been getting shit from one member in my family about not getting a car and not getting a license until I was 18 because its "What people do."
Doesn't help that I live in a Suburb where even the nearest grocery store is a 10 minute drive away at best. My college is a 30 minute drive away. And the public transportation here is terrible. I'm pretty sure there is only one bus.

I got by thanks to having my gf drive me to college since we had classes at the same times but she isn't going anymore after this semester and I'm kinda fucked. I really just don't want to spend 90% of my pay on gas and insurance and then dip into my savings if anything ever goes wrong.

I'm also a terrible driver and have panic attacks whenever I'm behind the wheel. Yay.

I fucking hate cars. Wish I lived in a damn city still. I could walk or bike everywhere.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
EeveeElectro said:
To give a better idea, my friend was excited because he managed to get his car insurance down to £5k a year. I don't know much about car insurance but I assume that's a lot for his car which isn't a brilliant one.

It's thanks to prats who can't drive bumping up insurance in my area, it's the most expensive in the country.
That and I do NOT want to go driving in my city. I'd be dead within the week.
I have a friend who lives in England (until next week) and from what I've heard from you, him and TopGear, insurance in the UK is the biggest fucking scam in the world. Insuring your car for an annual premium higher than your vehicle's value? Fuck every last thing about that. But from what I hear, it's a symptom of insurance being a legal requirement... combined with, yeah, atrocious motorists.

I'm in NZ. I have a car worth $2,200 and it's insured for $300 a year, and my van worth $10,400 is $500 a year.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Sansha said:
it's a symptom of insurance being a legal requirement
you pretty much summed it up. My car is a 200Hp sports car and i pay about £600 ($1200 NZ)a year with 2-3 years driving experience.

Eevee lives in a part of our country with notoriously high insurance rates. For the rest of us its expensive but not that bad

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Sidenote: How in the hell do you bike in the snow? I assume if you're 8 degrees out, you must be northern US with us Minnesotans.
As a Canadian who waved to my Dad as he biked off in -30 degrees plus wind chill and two feet of snow: YOU FIND WAYS.

You punch winter in the jaw if need be.

OT: Getting a car really was helpful. It's possible to go carless in my city, but you NEED to live near a train line or you have to deal with (DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN) our buses.

Or bike in two feet of snow in -30 degree weather. :D

Sansha

Nov 16, 2008
shootthebandit said:
Sansha said:
you pretty much summed it up. My car is a 200Hp sports car and i pay about £600 ($1200 NZ)a year with 2-3 years driving experience.

Eevee lives in a part of our country with notoriously high insurance rates. For the rest of us its expensive but not that bad
How are there not riots about this? It's nothing more than a scam perpetrated by the insurances companies under the laws of the government.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
I have a "friend" like that. He thinks that you have to drive in order to have a social life.

Also is interesting how once he got his license and own car, he suddenly didn't want to hang out as often; I used to drive him a lot. Anyway, we're not nearly as close as we used to be. He was extremely selfish, and lacked empathy. I refuse to be close friends with people like that.

Society is so superficial. Unfortunately, I think that a lot of people are like that.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Sansha said:
shootthebandit said:
Sansha said:

How are there not riots about this? It's nothing more than a scam perpetrated by the insurances companies under the laws of the government.
I dont know why not. To be honest its not the only way us brits get fucked on a daily basis. The fact that more than 50% of our fuel prices are tax (see image), The prices of a university education have gone up to £9000 a year, home energy bills have just increased because the energy companies have a monopoly and have been involved in price fixing. Everything in the UK just seems to benefit the corporations and fuck over the working/middle classes

to be honest its only a matter of time before there is a revolution in the UK

EDIT: insurance fraud is a lot like piracy. I can see why people do it, because its ridiculously expensive however it ends up making it more expensive for those who actually legitimately pay for their insurance

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
The one thing that bothers me about being currently carless isn't convenience or laziness or anything, it's simply the fact that I like to drive.

Other than that, bike and walking are awesome, and they're good exercise without having to go to the gym a few times every week. And much less costly.

But yeah, I like driving.

Sansha

Nov 16, 2008
shootthebandit said:
Everything in the UK just seems to benefit the corporations and fuck over the working/middle classes

to be honest its only a matter of time before there is a revolution in the UK
I guess old habits like the UK's class system die hard.

Vegosiux said:
The one thing that bothers me about being currently carless isn't convenience or laziness or anything, it's simply the fact that I like to drive.

Other than that, bike and walking are awesome, and they're good exercise without having to go to the gym a few times every week. And much less costly.

But yeah, I like driving.
Do you drive stick?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Sansha said:
Do you drive stick?
Of course. Driving automatic takes so much interaction with your car away. And I fear if I say more I'm going to start to sound gushingly romantic, and that's going to both be bad for my cynic rep and put me in danger of breaking some anti-automobile-molestation laws.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Vegosiux said:
Sansha said:
Do you drive stick?
Of course. Driving automatic takes so much interaction with your car away. And I fear if I say more I'm going to start to sound gushingly romantic, and that's going to both be bad for my cynic rep and put me in danger of breaking some anti-automobile-molestation laws.
I find it amusing that outside of the UK you actually have to ask if people drive a manual and people are like "uh, you drive a stick?" where as in the UK we have to ask people if they drive an auto. Id hazard a guess that the percentage of brits that drive an auto is the same as the amount of americans that drive a stick

driving an auto just isnt proper driving and you dont want to be spending a fortune on gearboxes

Sansha

Nov 16, 2008
Vegosiux said:
Sansha said:
Do you drive stick?
Do go on. I'm interested in your perspective on it.

Me, I started driving auto, and both my vehicles now are automatics. But when I try to drive stick, it just ends up a frustrating experience with an additional thing to worry about.

I can do it, I just don't enjoy it. Cornering and raw speed are what get my rocks off. I'm considering trading in my van for something a little racier early next year.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I'm a student living in a students' town. You can get anywhere almost twice as fast using a bicycle than with a car. Never mind parking; there are so many more shortcuts you can take. Suffice to say I've never really felt the need to learn how to drive, even though I took the theoretical exam when I was 18.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Sansha said:
Vegosiux said:
Sansha said:
Do you drive stick?
Alright, keeping it in simple terms then, I'll try to explain. When I'm out there on the road, you know, it's just the car and me, and the music I put on. It's like some kind of harmony, and being involved in it just feels nice; to be a participant in the experience as active as I can be. I don't really think about shifting, I just do it, it's almost a form of communication. Heh, I've always been better with things than I have been with people. (Hah! Managed to sneak in a cynical line!)

Like, was quite happy when one day my boss sent me to drive over to Germany and pick up some equipment; spent 10 hours on the road and was one of the best workdays I had ^^

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
lacktheknack said:
tippy2k2 said:
Sidenote: How in the hell do you bike in the snow? I assume if you're 8 degrees out, you must be northern US with us Minnesotans.
As a Canadian who waved to my Dad as he biked off in -30 degrees plus wind chill and two feet of snow: YOU FIND WAYS.

You punch winter in the jaw if need be.
This.

With care and patience.

And yes, I do wear my helmet at all times.

Sansha

Nov 16, 2008
Vegosiux said:
Sansha said:
Vegosiux said:
Sansha said:
Do you drive stick?
Alright, keeping it in simple terms then, I'll try to explain. When I'm out there on the road, you know, it's just the car and me, and the music I put on. It's like some kind of harmony, and being involved in it just feels nice; to be a participant in the experience as active as I can be. I don't really think about shifting, I just do it, it's almost a form of communication. Heh, I've always been better with things than I have been with people. (Hah! Managed to sneak in a cynical line!)

Like, was quite happy when one day my boss sent me to drive over to Germany and pick up some equipment; spent 10 hours on the road and was one of the best workdays I had ^^
I know the feeling of long road trips. I've done it in New Zealand, Australia and New Zealand. It's the shit. But add a stick-shift to the mix, and I don't know - I can't get it to be the subconscious reaction you experience. I can see the appeal, but it doesn't work for me.

I love my car. Entirely too much. I really want to get something with a little muscle that I can take the top down off and scream my way down the Desert Road.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Can't afford the bloody thing. THEY COST SO MUCH MONEY!

And there's so much maintenance $$$ that just continually drains your pocket.

Not worth it!

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Sansha said:
Me, I started driving auto, and both my vehicles now are automatics. But when I try to drive stick, it just ends up a frustrating experience with an additional thing to worry about.

I can do it, I just don't enjoy it. Cornering and raw speed are what get my rocks off. I'm considering trading in my van for something a little racier early next year.
driving a manual really isnt that frustrating, ive never driven an auto but i imagine id get really infuriated at the car changing gear for me. I know my car, I know when to change gear for the best economy and when to change gear for performance (when the needle hits the red line) and I can change gear at any point between the 2.

i fancied something a bit racier so i bought one of these

specs:

197bhp (from a 2 litre engine)
0-62 in about 6.5 seconds
6-speed manual box
weighs roughly 1.2 tons
handles like a dream, seriously it just grips round every corner

Its not the fastest car but a lot of my passengers have said its pushed them back into their seat. Its a simple formula big engine + small car = fun. These types of cars (hot hatchbacks) are really popular in the UK

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Get motorbike and decent gear.
When you will have family, only then there is a point in investing into 4 wheel vehicle.
Also, parking is much easier.
And consumes less fuel.
And gets you around much faster.
And some girls dig bikes.
Problem solved.
Your welcome.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
blackrave said:
Get motorbike and decent gear.
When you will have family, only then there is a point in investing into 4 wheel vehicle.
Also, parking is much easier.
And consumes less fuel.
And gets you around much faster.
And some girls dig bikes.
Problem solved.
Your welcome.
you cant take anything with you
its uncomfortable on long journeys
its uncomfortable in cold and wet weather
you cant really ride it in the winter
you have to do another license

I have lots of friends who only have a bike license and they would love to have a car too (but doing a car test is expensive, probably the same reason I wouldnt get a bike license). Im always giving them a lift, the other other day my flatmate went for a ride and one of his fairings came off, i had to drive him around to pick up the fairing. Im not anti-bike, it doesnt interest me but i can see why people like it. Theres no arguing that there is more of a connection between a bike and a rider and they are a lot faster than cars but ideally you would want a car and a bike. A bike is more of a hobby/toy (not that theres anything wrong with that) rather than a form of transport