Carless

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
shootthebandit said:
driving a manual really isnt that frustrating, ive never driven an auto but i imagine id get really infuriated at the car changing gear for me. I know my car, I know when to change gear for the best economy and when to change gear for performance (when the needle hits the red line) and I can change gear at any point between the 2.
I've figured out how to 'tease' my auto into changing gear when I want it to. What I especially don't like about it is what I found to be the massively complicated and stressful hill starts and stalling. Tiptronic or flap-panel gearboxes seem to solve these problems but I've never driven one.
The last time I was learning manual, I found myself sitting at a roundabout constantly stalling then losing my opening, then the car rolled into the one behind me, and I was done. Went back to my auto, spent some time learning how to tease it and I've never looked back.

Most of the only manuals here are either really old cars, or ones that are popular with - thus frequently stolen by - street racers.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Sansha said:
I've figured out how to 'tease' my auto into changing gear when I want it to. What I especially don't like about it is what I found to be the massively complicated and stressful hill starts and stalling. Tiptronic or flap-panel gearboxes seem to solve these problems but I've never driven one.
The last time I was learning manual, I found myself sitting at a roundabout constantly stalling then losing my opening, then the car rolled into the one behind me, and I was done. Went back to my auto, spent some time learning how to tease it and I've never looked back.
Hill starts are really easy. All you do is put your handbrake on, mash the accelerator, lift the clutch so it starts to bite then release the handbrake as you lift the clutch. If you keep stalling you are either not giving it enough revs or you are lifting the clutch too quickly

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
shootthebandit said:
Sansha said:
Hill starts are really easy. All you do is put your handbrake on, mash the accelerator, lift the clutch so it starts to bite then release the handbrake as you lift the clutch. If you keep stalling you are either not giving it enough revs or you are lifting the clutch too quickly
Not to insult you or your preference, but the way my logic works is with an automatic, a hill start is just pressing the gas... and that's the primary reason why I drive auto.

If I had access to a manual to practice in, I probably would, but everyone I know drives automatics.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I have a license, but no car. And I'm cool with that. Buenos Aires traffic does not look very fetching.