Carrie Fisher Says Discontinuing "Slave Leia" Merchandise is "Stupid"

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
The guy saying he wouldn't know how to explain it to his daughter is just an idiot.
Maybe you should explain to her that the purpose of fiction isn't to give you constant positive reinforcement? If it happens to do that, fine, but that's not it's purpose.

JimB said:
Karadalis said:
These games hurt no one, yet they are treated as if it was Satan defecating hatred into everyone's face so they go out and shoot women in the street.
Who is treating the game this way, Karadalis? Who specifically said one condemnatory word about Dead or Alive Titty Volleyball 3 prior to this Facebook announcement?

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Tilly said:
[snipped image]
I asked who said a word about that one specific game prior to the Facebook post. Only two of the stories represented in that image are about Volleyball 3, and neither story occurred prior to the Facebook post pretending SJWs shut them down. The image is a non sequitur.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
As a fan of Maggie Smith's amazing delivery of most dialog, It's her comment about Age I liked the most.

I could honestly care less what minute effect this has on the whole SJ war compared to that.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
JimB said:
Tilly said:
[snipped image]
I asked who said a word about that one specific game prior to the Facebook post. Only two of the stories represented in that image are about Volleyball 3, and neither story occurred prior to the Facebook post pretending SJWs shut them down. The image is a non sequitur.
Fair enough but I'm not sure distinguishing specifically between the games means much. As the more recent comments on this seem to suggest, it's about the general climate in the west right now:
http://nichegamer.com/2015/12/dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-not-coming-west-due-to-cultural-differences-says-sony-boss/

In other words, journalists creating a climate that a lot of the audience don't agree with yet are being affected by. Not a good situation.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Tilly said:
Fair enough, but I'm not sure distinguishing specifically between the games means much.
First, thank you very much for acknowledging my terms. I am not used to seeing that level of grace in an internet debate, and for what it's worth, I think your act deserves recognition. I'll do my best to reciprocate your respect.

Second, I think it's an important distinction to draw because criticizing past games only matters if the developer intends to create the game in a way that will provoke the same response. If they chose to make a game they knew would draw the same complaints, then doesn't that mean their goal was not to create a game that would be popular in the west? How (in any situation, but in this situation especially) are the pundits more responsible for the choice Koei Tecmo made than they themselves are?

Tilly said:
In other words, journalists creating a climate that a lot of the audience don't agree with yet are being affected by.
The duty of the games criticism and games journalism fields is not to echo popular opinion. That's what the internet is for. Thanks to Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and whatever the fuck else, ever fan of the Volleyball subseries has a global voice to announce their support. The duty of games criticism is to criticize, which by its nature is a series of personal opinions filtered through the critic's values; and the duty of journalism is to report (I draw a distinction between journalists and pundits, but since I think you include pundits in the list of journalists, I will add that a pundit's duty is to provide opinion). And quite frankly, it seems to me this complaint is often very selectively applied: for instance, pretend your previous sentence is talking about films. Journalists hatefuck Adam Sandler with every movie he releases, which apparently a lot of the audience disagrees with, based on ticket sales; yet the audience is still being affected by that criticism because Sandler has given up on theatrical releases and is doing straight to Netflix now; yet no one advocates that critics need to shut up about Sandler.