Cartoon Network Draws On Comic Fans With DC Nation

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
Live action will always play second fiddle to animation when it comes to super heroes in my book, at least in their current incarnation. Sure, grittier and realistic type heroes can work on the big screen, but most fit better as a TV series.

See: Green lantern, X-men, Superman, Justice League, etc.

Stuff that has a lot of characters and backstory? That just deserves to be told over a longer period of time.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
paint it up as good as you want CN, green latern looks like shit, and your our of ideas.

psychic psycho

Dec 17, 2009
So, who saw the one hour Green Lantern: The Animated Series premier? (It aired in the US not sure about the UK) I'll admit the CGI put me off. Now that I've seen it though, I thought it was fantastic and definitely lived up to the "Animated Series" name. The characterizations and voice-acting are spot on. The episode had was great as a standalone and had just enough set up for things to come.

The show looks pretty good as well; Bruce Timm's designs plus cgi gives a bit of an "Incredibles" vibe.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
With this, I forgive Cartoon Network for falling to the dark side. (That whole two years of running nothing but shows that relied heavily on 'stoner humor'.)

'Course, Generator Rex helped. Van Kleiss is the best villain to come out in the last few years or so. Has rockin' theme music, too.

Really picks up at 0:45.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Cartoon Network are showing Cartoons again?

And GOOD ones?

It's not April 1st, is it?
First thing I thought.

Terminate421 said:
Re-run the old Teen Titans from 2003. Chibi shorts don't count.
Only other thing that came to mind.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I miss Teen Titans, but whoa. This is actually looking pretty good.
Dare I say it? Is CN getting good again?

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I'm really looking forward to this.
I liked the pilot episode of Green Lantern (in spite of it being CGI) and I can't wait to see more of it and the upcoming Beware the Batman.

I glad that Teen Titans is getting a revival even if it is just shorts, and I really liked the animated Gotham City Imposters trailer and it looks like those will be shorts too.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
And another display of tremendous lack of originality from US animators. Remaking or redoing same old superheroes. Arent you tired yet? Cant come up with anything new! Green Lantern, Batman, Superman, Justice League etc and all their variations. It was good at start, but after decades of "mutations" of characters and stories, all these heroes did not only lose their relevance or cool factor (among many other things), but they are beat-down into the ground so much, that they are laughable!

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
another reason to switch from hot to yes... (in israel only "yes" company streams cartoon network and a lot of other stuff unlike their rivals "hot")

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
oh they are bringing back teen titans nice! i wonder how will they deal with people expecting this:

(thats the real thing btw terible... i know...)
also if your at it why dont bring back JLU as well? id watch the heck out of that even if its just reruns!

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
Huh. So DC is going to actually advertise their shit now? And not just endless tie-ins to Batman? Maybe they'll be able to keep those increased comic sales up.

Like Movie Bob says, "Comics sell better when you advertise them! *Insert Shamwow Picture*"

Watch, this block isn't going to advertise the comics at all, just keep showing commercials for their animated stuff. Then again, given how dark the comics have gotten since the reboot, perhaps not the best to advertise that.

"Watch Batman's Detective Comics! Where the Joker gets his face sliced off!" Not so kid friendly... >_>

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
EDIT: Oh bugger, it threw me an error message and then double posted this...

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
GZGoten said:
awesome now all they have to do is bring back all the old DC cartoons and make a Power Girl cartoon and a new Teen Titans and I'll start watching CN again
Wouldn't you rather have a PG anime series, like the Witchblade anime? XD

AJey said:
And another display of tremendous lack of originality from US animators. Remaking or redoing same old superheroes. Arent you tired yet? Cant come up with anything new! Green Lantern, Batman, Superman, Justice League etc and all their variations. It was good at start, but after decades of "mutations" of characters and stories, all these heroes did not only lose their relevance or cool factor (among many other things), but they are beat-down into the ground so much, that they are laughable!
At least for this specific case I think the blame is rather on the comic reading populace rather than with animators or comic book creators. You see, it has been tried time and time again to create new characters from the ground up. Say, Azrael, Darkhawk, the Runaways... to name a few. And time and time again they don't sell as well as the older counterparts so they tend to die in obscurity therefore never reaching animation-worthy status.

On the topic itself... While GL is pretty blah to me, I'm looking forward to the new shorts. It's the best of both worlds actually, they get to show around their preferred franchise and we get something fresh and different.

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
ANImaniac89 said:
I glad that Teen Titans is getting a revival even if it is just shorts, and I really liked the animated Gotham City Imposters trailer and it looks like those will be shorts too.
Hopefully if the shorts do weel enough they'll bring back the actual Teen Titan's show...

Also, i'm indifferent to Gotham City Imposters for some reason. Maybe i just wasn't paying full attention to it, i don't know.