Cartoons that you think are overrated

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
SanAndreasSmoke said:
Adventure Time. Obviously to each their own, and the show doesnt bother me or anything, but I cannot see why people love it as much as they do. Aside from the nostalgic animation style, I don't see it.
The humor just seems random and spazzy - no real depth. The plots are just as sporadic, usually. A fine show, I suppose. But not great.
I understand your opinion completely, but I think people don't realize how deep Adventure Time is. Why it appeals to me so much is the fact that it's so cheery, with characters that have ridiculous personalities and the weirdest euphemisms ever, yet they're in a high fantasy like setting. It kind of reminds me of how I would react to things if I were in like Lord of the Rings or something. Another reason would probably be the fact that the world they live in is actually really well thought out, with hints that point out that they're actually living on earth after a nuclear apocalypse since the beginning, yet despite that the show's still colorful and cheery. I don't know, maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but that's why it appeals to me. It's not flawless though, the 11 minute runtime works for some episodes, but other times they really need to make it a two parter or maybe even longer for the plot at hand.

Professor Lupin Madblood said:
Also, the intro theme is garbage. A pre-teen with a stuffed up nose and a shitty guitar is not not cute or clever or witty or ironic or anything. It's garbage.
You do realize that Pendleton Ward sings the theme song right? And he's 30.

OT: I'll agree with others when they say Family Guy. I mean it has it's funny moments, but the show just continues to into a platform for the writer's religious and political views rather than focusing on actually trying to be funny. Not to mention that the only jokes Family Guy has lately is shock value, random references, overly long musical acts, overly long gags, etc. And not to mention the way they the Griffin's treat poor Meg...

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Signa said:
SanAndreasSmoke said:
Adventure Time. Obviously to each their own, and the show doesnt bother me or anything, but I cannot see why people love it as much as they do. Aside from the nostalgic animation style, I don't see it.
The humor just seems random and spazzy - no real depth. The plots are just as sporadic, usually. A fine show, I suppose. But not great.

Don't know if I like the term "overrated" though. It's just a minority opinion.
You might want to watch more of it then. On the surface, the show is exactly as you describe. However, if you pay attention to the details, the show really caters to adults and nerds. Some straight-up D&D and M:TG references are thrown in, and the character depth is pretty much unseen in similar kids shows. They only let you catch glimpses of it at a time, but up to the 4th season, they only hinted with background images or single lines of dialogue (brief mentioning of The Great Mushroom Wars) at the extent of how bad Earth had been destroyed between modern society and when the show takes place. It's great for the kids because they see a show about a kid and his adventures with his magical dog. For us older folk, it's a show about survival after the apocalypse, and the life of the last human on Earth, and possibly the last purely good person that isn't brain-dead.
It was this that made me enjoy Adventure Time. At first it was just a regular modern cartoon that would be canceled before season two and I just couldn't care less. But it was the Litch King Episode where you see the ruined Subway and the skeletons that made me look a little closer. And then realising what the Great Mushroom War is? Ffffffffucks with your mind a little bit. It's a surprisingly deep cartoon! Also, how about that thing with the Ice King and Marceline? That was freaking bitter sweet.

Also, it really is funny.

ShadowDude112

Mar 9, 2009
ninjaRiv said:
Invader Zim pushed the boundaries of what's allowed in cartoons. Also, it turned a lot of people on to indipendant comics. So that's why I like that show... Also, it's funny. Why are you watching a cartoon about an alien undercover with a robot sidekick if you're not looking for "zany thingzzzzzz"?

Teen Titans was interesting and well written with character development you rarely see in cartoons at all.

I totally respect your opinions and I don't fault you for not liking these cartoons but I think your reasons are terrible.

The only cartoon I think is overrated (that I can think of) is Tom And Jerry. I just don't think it has earned the cult status it has right now.
I love zany things in cartoons. Which is why I love Adventure Time and Regular Show. But when people shove down my throat that Invader Zim is "SO DARK, DUDE! IT'S ALSO REALLY FUNNY!" or, just when I see those reasons and I watch a few episodes and nothing is dark or funny, it makes me feel like they're wrong. Really, I don't see what's so good about that show.

Teen Titans falls flat if you compare it to other super hero shows, or just shows in general. Spectacular Spider-Man had great plot, character development, and was very well written, same with Young Justice, same with Avengers: EMH, same with Batman: The Animated Series, same with the 2003 and 2012 cartoons of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and same with Legend of Korra. In fact, all those shows I just listed are better than Teen Titans in way of plot, character development, and also, having all their episodes be good instead of some being good, which by some I mean only the episodes that have parts, like Terra, or Trigon. Most of Teen Titans was not good. So, if you want to say that Teen Titans had better character development that you never see in cartoons anymore, you're proving you don't like to watch cartoons, or give them a chance at all.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
ShadowDude112 said:
ninjaRiv said:
Invader Zim pushed the boundaries of what's allowed in cartoons. Also, it turned a lot of people on to indipendant comics. So that's why I like that show... Also, it's funny. Why are you watching a cartoon about an alien undercover with a robot sidekick if you're not looking for "zany thingzzzzzz"?

Teen Titans was interesting and well written with character development you rarely see in cartoons at all.

I totally respect your opinions and I don't fault you for not liking these cartoons but I think your reasons are terrible.

The only cartoon I think is overrated (that I can think of) is Tom And Jerry. I just don't think it has earned the cult status it has right now.
I love zany things in cartoons. Which is why I love Adventure Time and Regular Show. But when people shove down my throat that Invader Zim is "SO DARK, DUDE! IT'S ALSO REALLY FUNNY!" or, just when I see those reasons and I watch a few episodes and nothing is dark or funny, it makes me feel like they're wrong. Really, I don't see what's so good about that show.

Teen Titans falls flat if you compare it to other super hero shows, or just shows in general. Spectacular Spider-Man had great plot, character development, and was very well written, same with Young Justice, same with Avengers: EMH, same with Batman: The Animated Series, same with the 2003 and 2012 cartoons of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and same with Legend of Korra. In fact, all those shows I just listed are better than Teen Titans in way of plot, character development, and also, having all their episodes be good instead of some being good, which by some I mean only the episodes that have parts, like Terra, or Trigon. Most of Teen Titans was not good. So, if you want to say that Teen Titans had better character development that you never see in cartoons anymore, you're proving you don't like to watch cartoons, or give them a chance at all.
Actually, I see what you mean about fans of Zim ramming it down your throat. I think that might be the fans souring your opinion there.

I said RARELY. You see plenty of character development in shows like Young Justice. But Teen Titans kind of made that possible. And I actually mean that you see it less in past cartoons. Modern cartoons have more depth than they're given credit for. I'm actually totally against the idea that cartoons were shit after the 90s (you'll find people saying that everywhere Animaniacs or Feakazoid is mentioned). I think a lot of cartoons are great; before and after the 90s.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
I was recently at a party where the old cartoon "Home Movies" came up, and a few of my friends was treating it like comedy gold. I never thought it was all that great back then, and seeing it again just reconfirmed those feelings.

LAN MAC

Dec 22, 2010
malestrithe said:
Young Justice. I hate season long story lines and this is the worse.
I like Young Justice, but I always thought the way the TV show was planned out was shitty. It's better when you watch all the way through.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
Seth McFarlane. I know thats multiple shows but pretty much everything he does is overrated. Not to say Family Guy and American Dad aren't good but they are nowhere near as good as they are portrayed. Also Spongebob, because that show hasn't been good for going on 7 years now.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Neon Genesis Evangelion. First of, except for maybe the first few episodes, it's not a deconstruction of the mecha genre in the slightest, and anyone who thinks that it is is confusing deconstruction with dark and gritty.
More importantly, the entire show just seems inconsistent. I can maybe, after someone gives me a thorough explanation of what was going on when the show got dark, understand how the last part was deep and meaningful, but it just has a completely different tone from the second part of the series, where it was just your standard mecha series.
Plus, Shinji was just a whiny, unrelatable prick. If I can't relate with your protagonist, I can't feel invested in your story. It's that simple.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I will totally read a well written piece explaining why Evangelion is great. Who knows, it might even change my mind about the show.

ShadowDude112

Mar 9, 2009
ninjaRiv said:
Actually, I see what you mean about fans of Zim ramming it down your throat. I think that might be the fans souring your opinion there.

I said RARELY. You see plenty of character development in shows like Young Justice. But Teen Titans kind of made that possible. And I actually mean that you see it less in past cartoons. Modern cartoons have more depth than they're given credit for. I'm actually totally against the idea that cartoons were shit after the 90s (you'll find people saying that everywhere Animaniacs or Feakazoid is mentioned). I think a lot of cartoons are great; before and after the 90s.
I mean, I did watch a bit of Invader Zim before my days of really surfing the web. Even then I was a bit confused as to why I saw some people rave about how this is one of the best cartoons ever. Then I really saw people rave about it and it was just going over my head why they thought it was so great. So, I guess it is a mix of the fans souring my opinion, but also my previous exposure to it making me still not get it. If it actually had a non expensive DVD release, I might think about picking it up, give it a second chance, but, I can't and I don't like pirating things or looking up episodes in crap YouTube quality.

If Teen Titans really did start this whole "modern cartoon character development" thing, I'm confused as to how not every cartoon has a character learn something, but never show that they learned it next episode. Because that's how I remember a lot of Teen Titans. The characters would learn something, but then just forget it later. It was stupid. Pretty sure Teen Titans didn't start the trend.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
ShadowDude112 said:
ninjaRiv said:

I mean, I did watch a bit of Invader Zim before my days of really surfing the web. Even then I was a bit confused as to why I saw some people rave about how this is one of the best cartoons ever. Then I really saw people rave about it and it was just going over my head why they thought it was so great. So, I guess it is a mix of the fans souring my opinion, but also my previous exposure to it making me still not get it. If it actually had a non expensive DVD release, I might think about picking it up, give it a second chance, but, I can't and I don't like pirating things or looking up episodes in crap YouTube quality.

If Teen Titans really did start this whole "modern cartoon character development" thing, I'm confused as to how not every cartoon has a character learn something, but never show that they learned it next episode. Because that's how I remember a lot of Teen Titans. The characters would learn something, but then just forget it later. It was stupid. Pretty sure Teen Titans didn't start the trend.
It's probably on Nickelodean (I dunno how to spell that...) at least once a year but if you didn't like the episodes you saw, you probably wouldn't like any of them. To be honest, I think it falls under a "love it or hate it" thing.

I've been drinking (it IS friday night where I am) and I also have my nostalgia goggles on so I will still defend teen Titans until my finger are broken from typing too much but I guess I can't really comment on that since I haven't seen it in a while. For all I know, you might be right.

Sep 14, 2009
invader zim and MLP are ones that are "overrated" in my eyes, they just seem to get such a deep cult following it's a bit creepy.

beyond that though, anyone can like wahtever, i don't think alot of cartoons/anime are overrated, i think a better thread would be "underrated" cartoons

Zeke63

Jul 10, 2012
My Little Pony, though it's fun to be all ironic and brony about it, the show itself really isn't all that compelling or complex. And despite some more adult focused humor, like that lord of chaos character being basiccally Q from star trek, for the most part humor is incredibly childish and bland, and that goes for plots as well.

ShadowDude112

Mar 9, 2009
ninjaRiv said:
It's probably on Nickelodean (I dunno how to spell that...) at least once a year but if you didn't like the episodes you saw, you probably wouldn't like any of them. To be honest, I think it falls under a "love it or hate it" thing.

I've been drinking (it IS friday night where I am) and I also have my nostalgia goggles on so I will still defend teen Titans until my finger are broken from typing too much but I guess I can't really comment on that since I haven't seen it in a while. For all I know, you might be right.
Teen Titans is all on Youtube. I think one channel posted all the episodes and earlier this year I rewatched some episodes and they were just bad. Hence why I know it's so bad now. Helps to watch something without nostalgia goggles and realize how bad it is. Like how I realized Sonic Adventure 2 is not good at all after playing it without nostalgia goggles.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Signa said:
LobsterFeng said:
I'll admit I've only watched a few Adventure Time episodes, so my opinion on the show is pretty first-impression. I had no idea AT parallels a post-apocalyptic earth, which is pretty interesting. Could be I just missed some of the deeper elements at a first glance.

Perhaps I'll give the show another shot sometime soon.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
I'm going to throw in something from the Mid 90's

The Maxx

I've had people tell me it stands as a perfect example of the nihilistic perceptions of young people back then..... I just found it weird as all fuck.

Embedding is disabled, Watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5rIANI20N0

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I know this is kind of a pick your side, love or hate it type deal, but I dont really find adventure time all that great. and I dont really have a reason, except a friend whose opinion I like ot hink i respect told me it was great because it these adult undertone/funny math joke type deals for the intelligent, but the first advertisment for an episode I saw for it was baby flynn/fynn (I dont know his name but im confident its one of those two) and it making a fart/crapping yourself joke. which turned me off entirely.

also i think spongebob, but in the sense that if youre older than 13. Its a great show for a person with the young mindset, but after that I just dont think there's a need for a college age/older highschooler individual to watch it and tell me its still honestly funny. and its nothing against that, because I still watch ed edd n eddy despite being 20 and find it hysterical or at least smile. I just dont get that with spongebob

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Gonna have to go with Regular Show. It's not that it's a bad show but I wouldn't put it up in the same tier as the other big hitters currently airing.

Say what you will about Adventure Time but at least it tries to have a deeper metaplot in between the sillyness. No matter how many times I watch Regular Show I can't help but feel pandered to. As though I'm meant to be impressed by it's ability to make references to the things I grew up with.

Like I said it's not a bad cartoon it's just not my cup of tea.

Still, I'll take it's worst episode over 90% of the crap that Williams Street is producing these days.

KingCrInuYasha

Jan 17, 2011
The Pokémon anime. Holy crap. There's some moments that I still like, but for every one of those, there's at least five that make me want to bang my head against a wall. So many broken aesops, so many lessons learned that were quickly forgotten. It could have developed into something good if they had hired some competent writers, but the show's potential died long ago.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
ShadowDude112 said:
ninjaRiv said:

Teen Titans is all on Youtube. I think one channel posted all the episodes and earlier this year I rewatched some episodes and they were just bad. Hence why I know it's so bad now. Helps to watch something without nostalgia goggles and realize how bad it is. Like how I realized Sonic Adventure 2 is not good at all after playing it without nostalgia goggles.
I'll have to check them out. The animation was good though, wasn't it?

I'm actually very against nostalgia goggles (despite suffering from them like everyone else!) so if it sucks, I will be right here agreeing with you.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
So far I havent seen anything mentioned here thats actually overrated.

Neverhoodian said:
It doesn't help that the animation isn't all that good either.
Yeah right.

Im guessing you just dont like the style itself, because the animation itself is quite good in all 3 of Seths shows, specially when they get bigger budgets for episodes, like this.