Cartoons

Griffstar

Mar 3, 2011
Whats with all the boring, unoriginal cartoons nowadays? All I see now are boring and to say the least, bland shows! So please, what happened to Sponge Bob? Jimmy Neutron? Hey Arnold? And of course, PowerPuff girls.

Apr 28, 2008
You obviously haven't been watching Adventure Time or Regular Show.

Granted Regular Show probably isn't for everyone. But I love it because the characters do the exact same stupid crap me and my one friend used to do.

Adventure Time is just sweet.

Phinius and Pherb is also a pretty decent cartoon.

Also Symbionic Titan, which is made by the dude who made Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Tastes change with Generations. And Nostalgia also makes new things suck. I, personally, am a Cartoonist, and while I agree many cartoons aren't to my taste, there is still a lot of good cartoons:

Flapjack (Canceled Unfortunately), Adventure Time, and Regular Show are prime examples, with Symbiotic Titans and T.U.F.F. Puppy having potential (I am not into the whole "Robot Fights" thing, and T.U.F.F. Puppy needs better writing, but still has decent plots)

Oh, And Update: I am still trying to watch an episode of My Little Pony, but the intro keeps scaring me off. It's 20% "OMG TOO CUTE!!" and 80% "Gosh darn it, a predictable Back Story that's been done to death"... Maybe I won't be able to get into it...

unicornninja

Aug 4, 2010
OMFG!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO LOVES PPGS!!! sorry about that....ah I agree but i've found that anime helped soothed that feeling. But I do agree alot of cartoons now are just awful. I miss the good-ol-days.

EDIT: Although I do hear good things about Young Justice and I do want to watch it but i don't know when it comes on (if someone would tell me that would be great). Also if someone could tell me about Symbiotic Titian that would be great too.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
What happened? You grew up and now the same stuff doesn't seem as original. You still like Spongebob, and Hey Arnold, and (for some inexplicable reason) Powerpuff Girls, because you liked them when you were a kid, and so now they have a massive nostalgia factor. But if you were to go back and watch them for the first time today, it's unlikely that you'd find them even mildly enjoyable.

It's the same thing with the new cartoons, you didn't grow up watching them, you're too old to be a part of the audience that's jumping into them, and they have no nostalgia factor like your favorite cartoons.

Why does no one ever consider that it's not the world that has changed, but instead that it is they who have changed?

Griffstar

Mar 3, 2011
Irridium said:
You obviously haven't been watching Adventure Time or Regular Show.

Granted Regular Show probably isn't for everyone. But I love it because the characters do the exact same stupid crap me and my one friend used to do.

Adventure Time is just sweet.

Phinius and Pherb is also a pretty decent cartoon.

Also Symbionic Titan, which is made by the dude who made Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory.
Yeah, admititly Phinius and Pherb is a pretty good cartoon. But Bobs hidden jokes will always get me.

ThatDaveDude1

Feb 7, 2011
In no particular order:

Sym-Bionic Titan
Adventuretime
Regular Show
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Young Justice
Phineas and Ferb
Flapjack (Cancelled, but recent)
Chowder (Cancelled, but recent)

All recent cartoons which are amazing.

Oh, and let's not forget, the outstanding Planet Sheen.

unicornninja

Aug 4, 2010
Kpt._Rob said:
What happened? You grew up and now the same stuff doesn't seem as original. You still like Spongebob, and Hey Arnold, and (for some inexplicable reason) Powerpuff Girls, because you liked them when you were a kid, and so now they have a massive nostalgia factor. But if you were to go back and watch them for the first time today, it's unlikely that you'd find them even mildly enjoyable.

It's the same thing with the new cartoons, you didn't grow up watching them, you're too old to be a part of the audience that's jumping into them, and they have no nostalgia factor like your favorite cartoons.

Why does no one ever consider that it's not the world that has changed, but instead that it is they who have changed?
I have all the seasons to Power Puff Girls and they still hold up as great spoofs on the superhero genre and are actually more clever than I remember.

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
Dude, I'm still mourning Swat Kats. Great fucking show.
Also, Sym-Biotic Titan is everything I've com to expect from that mad Russian that created Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack.

wisemithrandir

Nov 21, 2010
what about rockos modern life, doug, rugrats, beast wars, batman, superman.. I could go on but I feel old now XD

Griffstar

Mar 3, 2011
Kpt._Rob said:

I actually still love these shows today and maybe even more then before now that I can actually understand what is happening and why. Sorry but I just don't think that most of what todays Cartoons are not original.

And sure I didn't grow up with them and that may be a reason why but that doesn't change why I don't like them, it justs changes my perspective on them. I'm not saying all cartoons are trash.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
wisemithrandir said:
what about rockos modern life, doug, rugrats, beast wars, batman, superman.. I could go on but I feel old now XD
YOU feel old? People are being nostalgic over Spongebob, a show that didn't even start until I was almost out of high school...

wisemithrandir

Nov 21, 2010
Aris Khandr said:
wisemithrandir said:
YOU feel old? People are being nostalgic over Spongebob, a show that didn't even start until I was almost out of high school...
Touche sir.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
wisemithrandir said:
Aris Khandr said:
wisemithrandir said:
Touche sir.
Ma'am.

wisemithrandir

Nov 21, 2010
Aris Khandr said:
wisemithrandir said:
Aris Khandr said:
wisemithrandir said:
Touche sir.
Ma'am.
And thus, my fail is complete >.> My apologies.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
You people are making me feel old... Spongebob didn't appear until I was 9.

Best recent cartoon though? Phineas and Ferb. My little sister was watching it as I walked past. About half an hour later I realised I hadn't actually moved.