Catherine Review

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
My game is about to arrive! :D
Good review. It seems to repeat some common themes I've heard from reviews. Hair pulling difficulty, branching cutscenes and endings, and a morality meter that really wasn't necessary. Seems to be a theme in games. *cough*Mass Effect*cough*

Edit: Also, Catherine being high pitched, but not totally annoying? Sounds familiar. The voice actor for Rise from P4 voices her.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I can't wait to go pick this game up today. I've been anticipating it for a while. Obviously not as much as RedEyes up there. ^

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
What I don't get about this game is the apparent lack of relation between story and gameplay. On the one hand we have a guy with commitment issues... okay, cool, got my attention. But then on the other hand we have the same guy climbing a block tower... uhh, what?

It would be like, I dunno... having your Grey Warden defeat the blight by playing Breakout, except the blocks all look like various kinds of darkspawn.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Also, Catherine being high pitched, but not totally annoying? Sounds familiar. The voice actor for Rise from P4 voices her.
Not only that but Troy Baker who voices Vincent also voiced Kanji in P4 so there's top notch voice acting all around

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Zhukov said:
What I don't get about this game is the apparent lack of relation between story and gameplay. On the one hand we have a guy with commitment issues... okay, cool, got my attention. But then on the other hand we have the same guy climbing a block tower... uhh, what?

It would be like, I dunno... having your Grey Warden defeat the blight by playing Breakout, except the blocks all look like various kinds of darkspawn.
It is a little bizarre, granted. But you get past that pretty quickly.

KaosuHamoni said:
Genre: Family/Puzzle
What? Since when is a game that's main theme is sex and adultery, a family one?

xD
We got a chuckle out of that here, too. Our genres are pre-determined based on criteria that I won't bore you with, and for some weird reason, family and puzzle games got lumped together. I supposed because they're both harmless.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
stupid game being only on consoles that are broken for me

Sperium 3000

Mar 16, 2009
A friend of mine is getting this game and as soon as he finishes it, I'm borrowing it from him. The funny part was that he was afraid that it would be too easy. And I told him, "Easy game? From ATLUS? Sure, and I like Metal Gear Solid for the gameplay and not the story."

Catolf

Jul 2, 2011
Oh wow, great score and great review to boot? *o*

Catherine is definitely not a game for everyone, and your making me re-think playing easy mode and going for normal, which is both intimidating and crazy to me, but dammit.. I think.. i can do this.. lol

Drunkbot

Nov 9, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
KaosuHamoni said:
Genre: Family/Puzzle
What? Since when is a game that's main theme is sex and adultery, a family one?

xD
We got a chuckle out of that here, too. Our genres are pre-determined based on criteria that I won't bore you with, and for some weird reason, family and puzzle games got lumped together. I supposed because they're both harmless.
I am not sure I want to see the family that would sit down together to play this, yet I cannot stop trying to imagine them.

Catherine is giving me horror vibes before I have even played it! Impressive.