mikev7.0 said:
Susan Arendt said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Susan Arendt said:
Catolf said:
Susan Arendt said:
Catolf said:
Oh wow, great score and great review to boot? *o*

Catherine is definitely not a game for everyone, and your making me re-think playing easy mode and going for normal, which is both intimidating and crazy to me, but dammit.. I think.. i can do this.. lol
Stick with it! I promise you, you'll get better as you go. I struggled for aaaaages on the second boss, and then went back and did it in one try when capturing footage for this review. I was like "Huh...I can't remember what I found so hard about this."
Okay, I'll play it on normal.. i hope I don't pull my hair out. lol
Oh, well...you will. :) Just grab as many pillows as you can! (They're extra lives.)
Random question: Why didn't John review it? He seemed to always be the one posting Catherine articles and loves the Persona team. Not cracking on you, I'm just wondering why John didn't jump at the chance to review it.
Seniority has its privileges, and I've been looking forward to this game for ages. Also, John is no longer with The Escapist. He's off to China to teach English.
Well at least the admitted bias explains how this game got such a glowing review and a great score, seriously, I appreciate that because before I read that post I was wondering if I had demoed the same game.

I love puzzle games really. I'm still trying to get a copy of Steal Princess and Atlus makes some of my favorite games but I have to respectfully and totally disagree with you about Katherine. Faithful or no, the amount you actually get to play versus the inane soap opera you're forced to sit through makes it difficult not because of the puzzles (those were easy so I really disagree there, too.) but because of the story and the characters that I could care less about if I tried really hard.

I think what turned me off most (other than the easy puzzles.) was that you don't actually get a choice about cheating on Katherine the one character that seemed to have their life sorta' together (except the bit about not having already left a wishy washy non-productive relationship.)

Isn't the Escaptist a place that believes player choice (especially critical choices) is one of the most important things in a game? Then again you already explained the high score so there's that. So maybe that's just Extra Credits.

Yes I've been really hard on Catherine, that's because I know Atlus and they can do a lot better than this. I'm not quite as eagerly awaiting their next attempt. Not while teams are producing games like Child of Eden that cost a lot less money.

It's okay Atlus I still really really like you as a friend.
You honestly believe I gave the game the score I did because I was looking forward to the game? You can't be serious.

I certainly understand your complaint that the story doesn't let you decide to cheat or not - it's necessary for the plot for Vincent to keep banging away at Catherine, and that's what he does, whether you want him to or not. Player choice is not the singlemost important determination in a game's quality, and the lack of it with regard to Vincent's adultery does not doom this game.

There are many reasons why someone might not enjoy this game - the difficulty level, the design of the puzzles, the overall weirdness, and the aspect you brought up. That doesn't change the fact that the story is extremely well presented and the puzzles are quite ingenious.

Catolf

Jul 2, 2011
mikev7.0 said:
Susan Arendt said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Susan Arendt said:
Catolf said:
Susan Arendt said:
Catolf said:
Oh wow, great score and great review to boot? *o*

Catherine is definitely not a game for everyone, and your making me re-think playing easy mode and going for normal, which is both intimidating and crazy to me, but dammit.. I think.. i can do this.. lol
Stick with it! I promise you, you'll get better as you go. I struggled for aaaaages on the second boss, and then went back and did it in one try when capturing footage for this review. I was like "Huh...I can't remember what I found so hard about this."
Okay, I'll play it on normal.. i hope I don't pull my hair out. lol
Oh, well...you will. :) Just grab as many pillows as you can! (They're extra lives.)
Random question: Why didn't John review it? He seemed to always be the one posting Catherine articles and loves the Persona team. Not cracking on you, I'm just wondering why John didn't jump at the chance to review it.
Seniority has its privileges, and I've been looking forward to this game for ages. Also, John is no longer with The Escapist. He's off to China to teach English.
Well at least the admitted bias explains how this game got such a glowing review and a great score, seriously, I appreciate that because before I read that post I was wondering if I had demoed the same game.

I love puzzle games really. I'm still trying to get a copy of Steal Princess and Atlus makes some of my favorite games but I have to respectfully and totally disagree with you about Katherine. Faithful or no, the amount you actually get to play versus the inane soap opera you're forced to sit through makes it difficult not because of the puzzles (those were easy so I really disagree there, too.) but because of the story and the characters that I could care less about if I tried really hard.

I think what turned me off most (other than the easy puzzles.) was that you don't actually get a choice about cheating on Katherine the one character that seemed to have their life sorta' together (except the bit about not having already left a wishy washy non-productive relationship.)

Isn't the Escaptist a place that believes player choice (especially critical choices) is one of the most important things in a game? Then again you already explained the high score so there's that. So maybe that's just Extra Credits.

Yes I've been really hard on Catherine, that's because I know Atlus and they can do a lot better than this. I'm not quite as eagerly awaiting their next attempt. Not while teams are producing games like Child of Eden that cost a lot less money.

It's okay Atlus I still really really like you as a friend.
Because Vincent's cheating is the start and cause of the gameplay elements, it's like you wanting to have a say if the beginning of a games story can be changed because you don't like the way it began. You want a do over.

If Vincent never has doubts/ cheats then there is no game. Then he's just some hunky dory protag who is like "No I'm a robot, i have no doubts about everything." and the end.. game over. Vincent has doubts and while he did have a fling in the very beginning that can't be controlled you take over from there.

Do you feel guilty over what happen and decent to remain faithful and avoid the new girl, fix things with your girlfriend of 5 years. Do you not care and enjoy the new fling? That is up to you, that is player choice.

I think this might be more along the lines of you not agreeing with the cheating aspect. "How can you cheat, i don't want to be this cheating SOB" thats fine, they give you a choice to end it and stay with your girlfriend, you climb hurtles over your fears of commitment to make the choice you as the player feel is acceptable.

Also i'll address the bias you stated she has. No reviewer will not be biased about a game, to think that is silly. She was looking forward to the game, and gave a good review, but there are other reviews out that who were looking forward to the game as well and found that it wasn't enough and gave scores that show it.

I'm sorry you don't agree with her points/review but come on..

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
dudeman0001 said:
Looks decent, if only a tad dull. But you wouldn't BELIEVE how terrible of an experience I had with the demo my first time around. Eveything was going fine, up until the part that was mostly immovable blocks. For whatever reason I just had one block floating on top of the edges of 2 immovable unreachable blocks, making the level incompletable. I didn't know I was stuck, I thought the game was just being difficult. I spent ages trying to figure out what do and it was frustrating as hell, because everytime I went back down to the movable blocks to see if I could fix it, the floor would collapsse under me and I'd have to redo the level, only to end up in the same imossible scenario. I was buttmad to the point where I ragequitted and deleted the demo. But leaving the demo unfinished was tearing me apart, I didn't wanna let that game beat me, so I redownloaded it, only to find out that this time the block was in a spot I could use to make stairs, and my last session I was just somehow stuck the whoole time.....wow.

despite the fact that block jumping is kind of a stale concept even with the fucked up things that are trying to kill ya, imo, the story seems interesting but I think I'll skip this one, I buy games for gameplay and even though the challenge is there, the overall gameplay's just kind of lacking, I mean it's BLOCK CLIMBING. Even with the craziness and hectic boss stages (not boss FIGHTS, stages. as far as I know you cant defend yourself, only run) it's just a dull concept, even for a puzzle game. Plus, the demo just left a really bad taste in my mouth, I suppose. X|
You are not alone. I think the most important part of the review that was missing was the simple sentance "For the love of all that which doth not suck play the Demo first!!"
Then again that probably wouldn't help sell games and when a site does a special video for the unboxing of the deluxe edition? Come on people....

Then again, "oooooooooooooo lookit da purtry undies!!" is about the intellectual depth that I would expect from this game after playing the cringe worthy demo. The animation was beautiful?? From what cell shaded maplethorpe hell are you reporting anyway?? It was as boring, uninteresting and repetitive as the "dialogue" which I swear was taken from soap opera commercials.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
I've actually been waiting for a game with a narrative like this. It's about time a piece like this came out where it explores a piece of the human psyche and dealing with relationships as well as situations such as cheating etc.

I'd have a hard time with this one, though cuz I suck as puzzles...

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Man I can't wait to get this from Gamefly. And apparently Funk left? Ah. Would have been nice to know he was going, we could have said goodbye as a community.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Sounds good. Any sign of an EU release yet? I've searched on the google-tubes, and it seems every other result gives a different answer.
Shame, I've been looking forward to this for quite a while. It seems really good!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
mikev7.0 said:
dudeman0001 said:
Looks decent, if only a tad dull. But you wouldn't BELIEVE how terrible of an experience I had with the demo my first time around. Eveything was going fine, up until the part that was mostly immovable blocks. For whatever reason I just had one block floating on top of the edges of 2 immovable unreachable blocks, making the level incompletable. I didn't know I was stuck, I thought the game was just being difficult. I spent ages trying to figure out what do and it was frustrating as hell, because everytime I went back down to the movable blocks to see if I could fix it, the floor would collapsse under me and I'd have to redo the level, only to end up in the same imossible scenario. I was buttmad to the point where I ragequitted and deleted the demo. But leaving the demo unfinished was tearing me apart, I didn't wanna let that game beat me, so I redownloaded it, only to find out that this time the block was in a spot I could use to make stairs, and my last session I was just somehow stuck the whoole time.....wow.

despite the fact that block jumping is kind of a stale concept even with the fucked up things that are trying to kill ya, imo, the story seems interesting but I think I'll skip this one, I buy games for gameplay and even though the challenge is there, the overall gameplay's just kind of lacking, I mean it's BLOCK CLIMBING. Even with the craziness and hectic boss stages (not boss FIGHTS, stages. as far as I know you cant defend yourself, only run) it's just a dull concept, even for a puzzle game. Plus, the demo just left a really bad taste in my mouth, I suppose. X|
You are not alone. I think the most important part of the review that was missing was the simple sentance "For the love of all that which doth not suck play the Demo first!!"
Then again that probably wouldn't help sell games and when a site does a special video for the unboxing of the deluxe edition? Come on people....
Huh? What does the unboxing video have to do with anything? We've run plenty of unboxing videos (or news posts) in the past.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
mikev7.0 said:

Do you see conspiracies everywhere, or is it just in videogame reviews?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
The pink Escapist splash screen was a nice touch at the beginning.

My copy is on the way, I'm looking forward to the challenge and the weirdness.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:
mikev7.0 said:

He's not wrong about urging people to play the demo, though. It's sound advice for any game, but most definitely for this one.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
mikev7.0 said:

So, you don't like soap opera style stories....and thus Susan is a fraud? What?

If you don't like the basic concept of the story (something you can glean from watching, even a single, trailer), then don't buy the game. Susan said (twice) that this isn't a game for everyone. That doesn't mean she has to give the game a no-star rating because "some people" won't like it at all.

Every game has....not, haters....more like "honest dislikers", even gems like Portal 2. What's the problem?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Logan Westbrook said:
mikev7.0 said:

He's not wrong about urging people to play the demo, though. It's sound advice for any game, but most definitely for this one.
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with that part, it's a very unusual game.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
I wanted to get this game for its pedigree alone,Atlus has yet to fail me, but after playing the demo i want it even moar

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Arontala said:
copperbird said:
I can't get interested in a game where I have to play a male character.
This... This boggles my mind. I don't even know how to respond to this. Can you elaborate?
I assumed that was copperbird's first-post attempt at irony.

mikev7.0 said:
Well, in Dragon Age: Origins I didn't get a choice about joining the Grey Wardens, and in Mass Effect 2 I had to work for Cerberus against my wishes, and in the Witcher 2 I couldn't stop the king from being assassinated...you get the idea.

ice1985

Jun 27, 2011
I was just trying to make a sex appeal/platforming joke. Sorry if this offended you...I guess, Cleril.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Deshara said:
KaosuHamoni said:
Genre: Family/Puzzle
What? Since when is a game that's main theme is sex and adultery, a family one?

xD
An honest one

xD

EDIT:
Falseprophet said:
mikev7.0 said:
Well, in Dragon Age: Origins I didn't get a choice about joining the Grey Wardens, and in Mass Effect 2 I had to work for Cerberus against my wishes, and in the Witcher 2 I couldn't stop the king from being assassinated...you get the idea.
I actually feel like this is less a "but thou must" scenario as it is an honest statement on adultery: Sometimes, shit just happens. Of course, from what I've seen of the same, it's a bit weirder than that, but as somebody who's been around a bit more than he's proud to admit, I can say with confidence that sometimes, life doesn't give you a big clear-cut "DO YOU WANT TO CHEAT??" button to hit. What's more important isn't whether you do it or not, it's how you deal with it.
At least, that's how I feel about it as it pertains to the game.
Nothing in the game is that clear cut. There's no "do you want to cheat" button. Vincent's situation is of his own making, certainly, but it's not nearly so simplistic as you seem to be implying.

Nenad

Mar 16, 2009
KaosuHamoni said:
Genre: Family/Puzzle
What? Since when is a game that's main theme is sex and adultery, a family one?

xD
People don't talk enough with their children about love and sex so I say this is a great genre classification!

P.S. Wish I had a console T_T