Catherine Will Feature "Topless Female Demons"

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Obscure game. So I assume it's all about exploring the sexuality of Vincent? :p ... or that Catherine is some sort of succubus that's haunting the poor little man? Confusing game.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
DarkRyter said:
Did they really have to specify "female"?

I mean, if they're advertising toplessness, it can be presumed it'll be ladies.

We see shirtless dude demons all the time, they're expected.
See, you presumed and that's where you went wrong. Some people have to have it written out and sung to them before they get it. Personally, I thought it was redundant too, I mean, what's next ESRB? You're gonna tell me these topless demonesses have breasts?

OT: So this game is getting stranger than what I already thought it was, how the hell is that possible? I guess when you have sheepmen enemies and weird as hell puzzles you can pretty much do whatever you want after that.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
internetzealot1 said:
Hasn't this already been released in Japan? Shouldn't we know pretty much everything about it now?
We do! In fact you can watch playthroughs of the Japanese release online. The game has multiple endings and yadda yadda-
Necromancer Jim said:
"Seriously, guys! Our game has depth! We're totally not using sex appeal as a cheap way to gain attention!"

I have yet to hear anything that makes this game seem at all not terrible.
Though I will say that the depth of this game changes on how the player plays it. There is a morality meter, but it's more of an attitude meter as it changes how Vincent interacts with his female leads, which he then chooses from by interacting with them in person, over phone calls and with texting. Each character has actual relatability and though they all act odd to some degree and have their quirks you come to care about them till the end. Either that or you come to really, REALLY fear them (for different reasons).

Contrary to how the game is being marketed, the story is actually about love and lust battling it out. Stay with the woman you've been with for years, or go for the new girl who seems to spice up your life? Why are you afraid of marriage? Do you think about the here-and-now, or does your gaze look to the future too?

Splice in supernatural mystery about a man being victimized by his dreams and you've got Catherine.

If you still feel apprehensive, look it up! Like I said, there's a few LP's floating around. If nothing else you'll at least know what the game is truly about aside from all this marketing mumbo jumbo. I mean, LA Noire was marketed for the longest time as a game focusing on the Black Daliah murder and the murders tieing into it, but then that arc fuzzled out and you're left playign a game now almost totally unrelated by the end. Marketing is marketing, plain and simple.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Don't really care about nudity and all that mess in games. But the gameplay I've seen looks good. I'll be getting Catherine.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Dastardly said:
I dunno... after all this hype and build-up, if the best they have to offer is mostly-obscured toplessness, I think a great many people are going to be disappointed. Specifically, the sort of person targeted by this "sexy times with sexiness and sex, too sexy for your country" marketing campaign.

Basically, they've acquired an audience based on a pretty particular promise, and it's sounding like their offerings in that department are in for a lukewarm reception. They haven't really been selling this thing on the intrigue, after all.
I think the hype and marketing surround Catherine focusses more on the sheer amount of WTF-ness in this game than the amount of hentai in it. Going by the articles on The Escapist, that seems to be the case. And I bet that they'll deliver on that front

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
well, now I'm intrigued, damn you Atlus and your brilliant marketing ploys...... damn you.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
To be fair completely naked demons aren't a new thing in games... what comes to mind are the succubi from Diablo. Hopefully this is the controversy that's needed to make Atlus more well known.

Edit - Atlus, start releasing games in Europe. I'd rather give you money than some opportunistic bastard on Ebay but I'm not being given much choice.

Kingpopadopalus

May 1, 2011
already pre ordered the limited edition. It's by the same team that does all shin megumi tensai games. not sure if it will be classified as such but its close so you can expect an unopened collectors for going for 200 and up after a bit.

sigma2

Nov 18, 2009
Man, some of you guys have no idea what you're talking about.
Catherine isn't trying to be hentai or anything of the sort.

Catherine is supposed to be a puzzle platformer that deals with the issues a normal guy would probably go through. The Main Character Vincent has to travel through these nightmares of his to deal with problems that a rise in his life.

When his current girl friend, Katherine, tells him that she might be pregnant, or that they'll have to get married, or some other thing, that is manifested as a nightmare that he has to survive through.

The only real controversial thing about this would probably deal with the implications about a man's relationship with women. (i.e. He gets Katherine pregnant, and he COULD decide to leave with Catherine, but of course his conscience tells him to stay with her).

That and the game is HARD!!!

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
Wait what?

I've watched a walk through and I didn't see any topless demons.

Maybe it happens when the story splits off, since the walk through was mostly Katherine and not Catherine.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
HUnh...

Well, of course there will be. This is an SMT game. have you seen half the things you have to fight in their games? I mean, when there are fucking sheep men that run around, and its centered around a guys nightmareish world from his sexually repressed mind.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
vansau said:
Thrust said:
And let the controversy pot boil.
I'm waiting for the inevitable Fox News freakout.
But didn't Dragon Age do the same thing and get away with it?
Yep, here you go:
I'm pretty sure the only reason it didn't get its own Fox shitstorm is because this lovely lady (?) is pretty far into the game.

Well, topless demons you say? I and every other male gamer will furiously fap to that. Ok, maybe not, but the game certainly does sound interesting. Basically, anything involving a chainsaw wielding baby is worth buying imho...

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
How a 10 year old shooting himself in the head with a gun shaped object got by, I'll never know.
OP: Not surprised. Actually, most people excited for the game aren't attracted by the sex appeal. It is the people behind the game.
Regarding your first point, yes.

Regarding your second point, why yes.

hypovolemia

Mar 25, 2011
vansau said:
The game also depicts the central character surrounded by topless female demons-though shadow effects obscure most details.
Even without the shadow effects I wouldn't see how this in any way noteworthy (outside of the ESRB rating, of course), but maybe that's just me being European.
ddq5 said:
I doubt it will stir up any real controversy cause it's Japanese and they seem to get away with it most times, excepting that whole RapeLay thingy.
And they would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling "women's rights" activists.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Is there a release date for the UK yet, ive looked to no avail? I really want to give this game a go.