Catholics, Buddhists Join Hindu Protests Against Smite

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
I'm not sure why people are even bothering to take offense at all

Then again I'm and atheist or maybe agnostic because you can't really say no should undeniable evidence pops up but I don't see the point of belief or worship

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
I'm going to play this game out of spite.

I do hope the developers tell them to fuck off.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Aw, two death cults are worried their magic, invisible friends might be used to fight. Yeah, it's not like religion has a history of violence, with gods smiting animals, childeren and other innocents.

I figured it's high time that these gods duke it out among themselves, instead of sacrificing humans like lambs.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
The Human Torch said:
Aw, two death cults are worried their magic, invisible friends might be used to fight. Yeah, it's not like religion has a history of violence, with gods smiting animals, childeren and other innocents.

I figured it's high time that these gods duke it out among themselves, instead of sacrificing humans like lambs.
That sounds like an awesome premise for a game. I see it now, god, upset by humanity's enlightenment to his bullshit begins the apocalypse, but Satan won't have it, in the name of free will he launches an attack on the "almighty". You play as Satan, fighting god's mindless angels and archangels leading up to the big guy.

Hey...it makes as much sense as the bible, come on..

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I think the worst aspect of this are the response, to the response who are obnoxious little trolls.
Yes this is the internet and people are dickwads. But I am bored of extremes.

You can never have a good discussion on the internet as it always consists of insults, like I started off with. The internet doesn't need Religion, it has Douche Baggery as a belief.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
likalaruku said:
I seem to remember an old SNES game that depicted Shiva as an evil demon.
That's one of the reasons its ridiculous. This is not the first or last time a religious deity/figure will be depicted in a video game, evil or otherwise. They have to get over it.

Third last boss of Black Temple, a race called "Shivirra". In fact, the Warlock class can actually enslave these demons(the lesser ones, not this boss).

How come there was no hubbub over Shiva/Kali being depicted as demons who need to be killed/enslaved? But now there is suddenly over this game? Religious groups jumping on some ridiculous bandwagon, that's why.

edit: and look at that cleavage! Outrageous!!

scw55 said:
I think the worst aspect of this are the response, to the response who are obnoxious little trolls.
Yes this is the internet and people are dickwads. But I am bored of extremes.

You can never have a good discussion on the internet as it always consists of insults, like I started off with. The internet doesn't need Religion, it has Douche Baggery as a belief.
When it comes to religion, what constitutes an insult is purely subjective(in most cases). If I said Christianity was idiotic and is holding back humanity to a Christian, they would very likely take it as an insult, even though I truly believe that is the truth, and it's not meant as an insult.

Now personal insults are another thing, that is obviously detrimental, but why would you pay attention to ignorant people like that.

Jun 11, 2008
Zing said:
When it comes to religion, what constitutes an insult is purely subjective(in most cases). If I said Christianity was idiotic and is holding back humanity to a Christian, they would very likely take it as an insult, even though I truly believe that is the truth, and it's not meant as an insult.
How can you reason that that is not an insult?

Also I need to point this out again as people seem to not like to read the OP properly and not bother to read the thread but 1 person =/= A representation of the group's opinion especially when that member is of one of the lower ranks or in one case not even a member. Even at that can you not just be happy for once that they're trying to show a bit of understanding for other views?

This game is not a Fighting game. It is a Dota/ARPG/Moba game. I don't know where people got this was a fighting game.

They are not saying the game shouldn't be made just that it should show more respect to the deities. All they are doing is advocating followers of their religions not to buy it.

That said I think they are being very silly but some of the people in this thread are being many orders of magnitude worse than these people.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Glademaster said:
I already explained why. I really can't elaborate anymore than that. I consider it fact, how can facts be insulting?

Jun 11, 2008
Zing said:
Glademaster said:
I already explained why. I really can't elaborate anymore than that. I consider it fact, how can facts be insulting?
Just because you believe something is true and don't mean it as an insult does not suddenly make it uninsulting. No it isn't a fact and apparently a real fact can be an insult such as the current colour of ones hair. Although, if you are trying to get at gravity not being insulting that is flawed statement compared to what you said.

This is pretty much what these people are doing. As in they are religious believe their deities are fact and thus find these representation insulting.

Edit: To add to this if someone believes the Escapist is an uptight elitist cesspool with draconian moderation as fact does that make them saying that any less insulting?

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Glademaster said:
Just because you believe something is true and don't mean it as an insult does not suddenly make it uninsulting. No it isn't a fact and apparently a real fact can be an insult such as the current colour of ones hair. Although, if you are trying to get at gravity not being insulting that is flawed statement compared to what you said.

This is pretty much what these people are doing. As in they are religious believe their deities are fact and thus find these representation insulting.
What's your reasoning that it isn't a fact? The universe is billions of years old, we evolved from apes, we did not all descend from two people, the texts that represent these religions are man-made, fictional and full of contradictions and medieval nonsense. These are facts, my friend.

Edit: To add to this if someone believes the Escapist is an uptight elitist cesspool with draconian moderation as fact does that make them saying that any less insulting?
Opinion. What constitutes "draconian moderation" or an "uptight elitist cesspool" is subjective. Science is by definition, objective, and based on real evidence.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I just hope they (Smite developers) don't portray my god *glances meaningfully at Antonio Banderas shrine* in a negative light...

But why are the religous peeps getting all in a tizzy about this? I'm sure at some point a priest has gone "Jeez, I wonder who would win in a fight between Jesus and Ganesh..." well it seems like they might get a chance to find out soon... It's a good thing! *Thumbs up*

(No, I don't know anything about Smite...)

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
If Kali is pissed, then it can probably take care of itself, with all the swords and whatnot. What's more theologically disrespectful than thinking you to have to defend your indisposed god?

Anyway, the religious are free to tell the game designers to shut up, and everyone else am equally free to do the same towards the religious.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
The amount of immaturity and intolerance in this thread is pretty terrible - but it's not surprising considering the Escapists crowd.

I really don't understand why everyone here who claims themselves to be Atheist seems to find it ok that they can keep calling a religious deity an imaginary friend, that's no better than the religious folks calling you heathens or sinners.
I'm not religious at all but the attitude most people are taking here is complete bullshit, all most a perverse pleasure in seeing gaming taking a leg up over religion.

Imagine if this was the other way around and it was a religious funded project that had everyone play as a vengeful deity come to purge the atheists off the face of the Earth?
You bet this forum would be in uproar with the usual how dare they.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Lyri said:
The amount of immaturity and intolerance in this thread is pretty terrible - but it's not surprising considering the Escapists crowd.

I really don't understand why everyone here who claims themselves to be Atheist seems to find it ok that they can keep calling a religious deity an imaginary friend, that's no better than the religious folks calling you heathens or sinners.
Heathen is not an insulting word. I AM a heathen, all Atheist/Agnostics are heathens by definition. Heathen is literally a word to describe non-believers.

Similarly, by that religious persons belief, I am also a sinner, this doesn't bother me either because I don't believe the consequence that would classify me as a sinner to people of this or that faith.

A deity IS an imaginary friend. There is no evidence of its existence, no one has ever seen it.

Lyri said:
Imagine if this was the other way around and it was a religious funded project that had everyone play as a vengeful deity come to purge the atheists off the face of the Earth?
That actually sounds cool. But which religion is the right one? And does that religious deity that has been deemed the "right one" kill followers of other religions just because they were wrong?

No such game would exist because, if anything, it highlights the problems with religion.

neverarine

Nov 18, 2009
trivialize? to be fair Kali is probably the most OP character in the game... easily getting 4 times the kills of the other characters and 1/3'd the deaths....

but its nice to see some co-operation here....

beniki

May 28, 2009
Zing said:
Lyri said:

Heathen is not an insulting word. I AM a heathen, all Atheist/Agnostics are heathens by definition. Heathen is literally a word to describe non-believers.

Similarly, by that religious persons belief, I am also a sinner, this doesn't bother me either because I don't believe the consequence that would classify me as a sinner to people of this or that faith.

A deity IS an imaginary friend. There is no evidence of it's existence, no one has ever seen it.

Lyri said:
That actually sounds cool. But which religion is the right one? And does that religious deity that has been deemed the "right one" kill followers of other religions just because they were wrong?

No such game would exist because, if anything, it highlights the problems with religion.
Well, the difference is that you don't care either way. Religious people do. And the devs are using religious icons to make money. They are taking something that people hold dearly in their hearts, an icon that gives them hope and inspiration, and using it to extract cash from adolescents screaming at each other over the chat channels about how big their e-penises are.

I wouldn't usually care about this issue, but whenever someone's response to hurt feelings is 'QQ some more', ignoring the the thoughts and emotions of a human being just because it's uncomfortable for them, well, gets on my tits a bit.

Right one, wrong one doesn't come into this. Just a little bit of empathy for an issue people hold close would be nice.

Ah well. Can't stop people being people I guess.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
beniki said:
Well, the difference is that you don't care either way. Religious people do. And the devs are using religious icons to make money. They are taking something that people hold dearly in their hearts, an icon that gives them hope and inspiration, and using it to extract cash from adolescents screaming at each other over the chat channels about how big their e-penises are.

I wouldn't usually care about this issue, but whenever someone's response to hurt feelings is 'QQ some more', ignoring the the thoughts and emotions of a human being just because it's uncomfortable for them, well, gets on my tits a bit.

Right one, wrong one doesn't come into this. Just a little bit of empathy for an issue people hold close would be nice.

Ah well. Can't stop people being people I guess.
Who says I don't care? I care about willfully ignorant religious people impeding artistic process and freedom of speech. You're using hyperbole to over generalize the game, how do you think the devs feel? They've spent months and months making this game and now these groups claim that it "trivializes" these "supreme beings". Sorry, but I say that these groups are trivializing the work of Hi-Rez Studio. And to me, their work is FAR more important than ANY religion.