CCP Reveals How Dust 514 and Eve Online Interact

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
CCP Reveals How Dust 514 and Eve Online Interact

CCP has a "four-year roadmap" planned.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/9724-E3-Preview-Dust-514>Dust 514 is CCP's upcoming free-to-play PS3 shooter that will link up with the space simulator EvE Online to create the first shared gaming universe. This means that a battle to say, conquer a planet, will now require spaceships and infantry to complete complimentary goals. Even so, developer CCP has kept pretty quiet on specific game mechanics that show how the worlds will fit together. Senior producer Jon Lander opened up recently in an interview with Eurogamer, sharing not only details about new gameplay mechanics, but that the designers have four and a half years of content planned for the interconnected games.

At launch, the games will begin with shared chat channels, markets and, obviously, maps which can then be ironed out for bugs and balance issues on a larger scale. "We're going to start on that," Lander said. "We have a lot of dials we can tweak to balance it, because no one's done this before, we don't know how it will exactly turn out."

Once any quirks are ironed out, CCP will start rolling out additional resource sharing and building creation tools that encourage interaction between players in space and planetside, best represented by giant freaking space elevators. "If you take all the districts in death matches, you take over control of the planet and get the [Surface Control Center]" Lander explained. "If you and somebody in Eve are allied - so, in Eve you've got control of the Orbital Control Centre - then you get a space elevator, which makes the transport of goods and services that much easier and cheaper."

According to Lander, there will be many more features added in the upcoming years, but right now the most important thing is Dust's release and integration into Eve's servers. "Right now, Dust is working on its own production server" Lander detailed. "As we go through the summer, we're going to move [Dust] on to Eve's public test server, so that will be when two games first sort of link up."

For anyone hoping to try out Dust 514 beforehand, an open beta begins on June 29th.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-22-how-exactly-will-dust-514-and-eve-online-work-together>Eurogamer

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Sounds good, but I think the big problem is going to be the fact the EVEs player base tend to be total jerks.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
I find it surprising and disappointing that a game which is linked in with a PC only game is only offered on the PS3.

Many people who play EVE only own a PC, albeit a sometimes powerful one.I suppose the idea behind the console only release is to keep mega-corporations like Goonswarm from completly dominating the game in the first three months. However, their decision to release it exclusively on the PS3 rubs me the wrong way. I doubt this will hinder them for long, however, as it is very likely that the mega-corps will find a way to fund an effort to give designated peoples free PS3 for the sole purpose of supporting their interests on the ground. I am sure that this is not unfeasible for them.

I also fear that this will set the learning curve even steeper for people trying to get into EVE. In my books, it has already cemented itself as highly interesting and utterly terrifying.

It is my sincere hope that some savvy soul will make a mod for Sins of a Solar Empire or X3 based off of the game because if you are like myself then you prefer keeping human interaction in your games to a minimum.

I suppose the idea behind the console only release is to keep mega-corporations like Goonswarm from completely dominating the game in the first three months.

EDIT: On another subject entirely, do people recommend buying X3 Terran Conflict? Its $15 on Steam. I have heard it be called the single player EVE by EVE players.

Does it have the same basic premise of ship design? You buy a model and then add guns and other modules?

Does it allow you to pilot capital ships and direct fleets?

Can you create billion dollar space corporations?

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
The key here, with such a long plan, is to make the shooter interesting. If people lose interest in the multiplayer fast, it will all fail.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
FelixG said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
EDIT: On another subject entirely, do people recommend buying X3 Terran Conflict? Its $15 on Steam. I have heard it be called the single player EVE by EVE players.

Does it have the same basic premise of ship design? You buy a model and then add guns and other modules?

X3 is a great series, I woul heartily recommend it.

ANd as for your questions, yes you buy a basic model ship then install the weapons and modules you like

Yes you can pilot from a shuttle or fighter up to a massive freighter or battleship/carrier

Yes you can start with nothing and end up owning a corporation worth billions and own half of the universe.
Could you customize the crew compliment as well? Assign officers like Chief of Navigation and such to give you bonuses? What is the learning curve like?

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
TheBobmus said:
The key here, with such a long plan, is to make the shooter interesting. If people lose interest in the multiplayer fast, it will all fail.
One of the functions they are implementing in the game is the loss of resources (weapons, armor, power-up) upon death, the same applying to vehicles.

Every piece of gear you own is a piece you bought will be lost upon death.

This will serve to either keep people from stopping play because they have ascertained the highest gear possible or will make multitudes rage quit in frustration.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
FelixG said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
FelixG said:
SacremPyrobolum said:

X3 is a great series, I woul heartily recommend it.

ANd as for your questions, yes you buy a basic model ship then install the weapons and modules you like

Yes you can pilot from a shuttle or fighter up to a massive freighter or battleship/carrier

Yes you can start with nothing and end up owning a corporation worth billions and own half of the universe.
Could you customize the crew compliment as well? Assign officers like Chief of Navigation and such to give you bonuses? What is the learning curve like?
Sadly there was no factor for crew, but I am sure in the thousands of mods for the game you could find one that adds crew.

The learning curve is pretty low, and the game is decently forgiving. I would recommend looking up an exterior tutorial when it comes to stations though. That is one part of the game that can really eat you alive if you aren't careful.
One last question. Is the M2 destroyer the largest combat ship in the game?

I know I am getting ahead of myself, but having a long-term goal serves to excite!

Do you recommend any mods? So far I am eyeing the Valhalla mod, a simple modification that adds the legendary Valhalla to playable ships (is this correct?)

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
albino boo said:
Sounds good, but I think the big problem is going to be the fact the EVEs player base tend to be total jerks.
Not all of us. There are a few (albeit very few) of us that are decent well rounded individuals that like the game.

I am Gilhelmi, Industrialist and Research personnel extraordinaire. I even have a couple of Billion in assets. Though with recent inflation that is not as impressive as it once was.

OT: Darn, I swore that I would never, EVER, buy a PS3. Dust541 might just force my hand into an unholy union.

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
Gilhelmi said:
albino boo said:
Not all of us. There are a few (albeit very few) of us that are decent well rounded individuals that like the game.

I am Gilhelmi, Industrialist and Research personnel extraordinaire. I even have a couple of Billion in assets. Though with recent inflation that is not as impressive as it once was.

OT: Darn, I swore that I would never, EVER, buy a PS3. Dust541 might just force my hand into an unholy union.

Welcome to the fold! I for one bought a ps3 months ago when i signed up for the beta to only just recently aquire the access code. now i play it more than my 360.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
All I want is a spaceship that I can take from the surface of a planet to space and then explore the whole EVE universe from first person...that would be sweet...

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Piflik said:
All I want is a spaceship that I can take from the surface of a planet to space and then explore the whole EVE universe from first person...that would be sweet...
Get evochron mercenary then it has a fairly steep learning curve and the combat is brutal but you can do what you just described apart from it not being set in the eve universe.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
Matthew94 said:
albino boo said:
Yup, the only things you hear from the game are "look how much this guy fucked over these people!"
Yeah, because the stories where you meet a great bunch of guys and build up a cool corporation and generally just have fun tend to make for pretty boring news.