CD Projekt Red Reveals Cyberpunk

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Knight Templar said:
I like cyberpunk settings, next to steampunk they are some of the more interesting universes. CD Projekt Red being involved just makes it more interesting.
I do not think I know anything about the Cyberpunk, cyberpunk setting however. Maybe I'll look into it.
Quoted for saying what I was thinking.

To expand a little on a tangential line of thinking, I want more steampunk games to be made. Apart from the Bioshock series, I can't think of any moderately popular steampunk games that have been released since this console generation first hit the market.

Now, back on-topic: My opinion is that CD Projekt Red is one of the greatest developers currently in the industry, not simply because The Witcher 2 is a pretty brilliant game, but also for the way they actually treat customers and the way they've been running things over at GoG. So count me interested in this new title.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Getting all kinds of warm fuzzies from memories of the pen and paper game and love that others here know it, too. That being said, there's a kind of weird problem with this - a strong argument could be made for cyberpunk being dead. I mean, the first edition of that game - the first one I played, anyway, was set in 2013. In Neuromancer, arguably the work which defined and popularized the genre, Case starts out trying to sell "three megabytes of hot RAM". 3MB !

Don't get me wrong, I still have fun re-reading Gibson's Sprawl novels now and again, but what he and his contemporaries were writing about? Big chunks of it were big issues during the 80s but now are kind of non-issues. People becoming soulless through too much exposure to technology? Culturally we are so past this it's laughable. Embedding tech in your body? Why when we carry it in our pocket. Global zaibatsus are kind of quaint notion, back when everyone was convinced that pre-bubble Japan was wildly exotic and likely going to own the world. The Cold War fizzeled without going hot (thank heavens). Identity theft, computer viruses... these things are so hackneyed in our day-to-day grind that they barely raise an eyebrow on local news.

The modern world is so much weirder than cyberpunk envisioned. To be clear, I'm not at all down on the idea of the game. I love it. But do you think they should go for the nostalgia kick and do it all in true 80s style, with the concerns and relative ignorance of the day? Or do they update and work to bring the similiar themes to bear on modern technology. I feel like Deus Ex : HR took a reasonably good stab at the latter option, for good or ill. I'd like to see an attempt to make cyberpunk back in the day, when the net was a neon tron rip off (

Plus, so help me, it would be hysterically awesome to play a rockerboy when the idea was inspired by the Moscow Music Peace Festival and people actually thought musicians could make a difference Go Johnny Silverhand! Wooo!

*chuckle*

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
I'm guessing this is game is Cyberpunk? I'll be keeping taps on this one. I'm only wondering if there will be a game called Steampunk too... XD

captcha: good for nothing
*slaps captcha* Shut it!

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Do I even need to say it? Don't you just have a teleporter in my wallet that beams them my sixty bucks?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Hooray! I love what CDProjekt is doing, but I hate medieval fantasy so I wouldn't be throwing money at them for the Witcherdudes. But I love cyberpunk! Do it right, CDProjekt.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I'm very much looking forward to this. Between Shadowrun Returns and CD Projekt's Cyberpunk, it's looking like a good time to be a fan of the genre.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
We need some more from Cyberpunk genre,
so we got thee Cyberpunk game.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
josemlopes said:
4173 said:
CD Projekt Red really cut to the chase with their game titles don't they?
Their next game will probably be called "RPG"
Oh you two! :)

Actually, in this case, since the game will be based on Cyberpunk pen and paper RPG, it's not the name of the genre here, but the game and setting itself, that happens to share the name with the genre. Like... Dungeons and Dragons. Or Vampire: the Masquerade (the World of Darkness would be more accurate here).

I have such fond memories of playing pnp Cyberpunk... But I remember the rules being slightly on the complicated and uncomfortable side, for me anyway. I hope CD Projekt will make them workable.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Really? It's called Cyberpunk?

Man I can't wait for that new film, "Romantic Comedy" to come out.
Or for the next book in the "Generic Tolkien Fantasy" series to come out.
Ooh, does anyone know the release date for "Third Person Shooter with RPG elements"? That looks awesome.

Heh. Okay that's all I got.

Valashar

Mar 26, 2009
I just hope that Pondsmith isn't involved in the writing, unless they're going back to the system/setting's earlier versions because Cyberpunk V3 sucks sewage by the ton. Would've been better named 'Glee: The Tabletop'. If they stick with the 2013-2020 area, then I'm hopeful for a halfway decent game.

Have to wonder, though, if Pondsmith thought about doing this, or decided to do this, based on the response for Shadowrun Returns (which has already claimed my money in quantity).

And really... all those folks harping about the name, look it up; The original tabletop RPG was called Cyberpunk. The second edition was called Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Cyberpunk is my fav genre, so to say I'm excited would be an understatement.