Celebrate old Escapists! The war against the newbies has been won!

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Misericorde said:
Cowabungaa said:
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Hmmm... The only thing I have noticed about the Escapist over the years are less new topics posted each day.

But then again, most of them were utter shite... All about morals of drowning people (who will you save?) or billy basic 'what do you look like?', 'what is your favourite geek possession?' or 'who is your favourite game character?'
Don't forget the obligatory versus threads before those mostly died out thanks to the crackdown.
Queen Michael said:
Um... yay?

Seriously, this place needs something to bring people.
Like what? The only area in which it's really lacking, though I don't personally miss it, is anime and manga content.

What it definitely doesn't need is stuff like that weekly deal nonsense. The increasing reliance on lists doesn't sit well with me either. But overall, there's still quality content to be found here.
Cut the rules down to what a lot of sites are doing now, "Don't be a dick". Then only moderate obvious examples of dickery or disruption that the normal people on the site can't handle themselves with a bit of time. Change your points system to assign grades to infractions, because the idea of a low content "whoopsie" having the same weight as someone calling me a stuttering prick is obviously dumb.

Lose the health bar that everyone can see. You're making a point system and health bear visible to a bunch of fucking GAMERS. They're gonna turn it into a GAME.

and not a nice one...

Beyond that, what everyone else is saying... more content. That's hard though, that takes talent and money. What I'm saying just takes the balls to do it.
It's best to take all moderation woes to the staff, since they set the policies and liaise with the mods on how to enforce them. Whenever people air their grievances in the forums - usually by starting a new thread to ask why they got a warning or to complain about the site's rules - more warnings usually follow. If you speak to [user]ffronw[/user] (Community Manager), [user]s0osleepie[/user] or [user]JonB[/user], they'll be better able to answer site policy questions. You can also ask in the mod group chat and they'll see it and get back to you quicker. If you post here, though, they won't be able to do much since they likely won't see it.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
stroopwafel said:
Hmmm..I think the 'kids' these days just prefer Failbook and Youtube over a forum. It's not just The Escapist that is dwindling in numbers, other than a few popular ones it's most other forums as well. At this point I think the site having more content won't even contribute much to a more active userbase. Hence why it's a smart move of both Jim and ZP to migrate to Youtube. Forums look like they are on their way out. I don't see that changing until the social media fad fades away and/or these companies do something stupid that pisses their users off. Which will happen sooner or later. :p

Also I think it's a smart move of the Escapist to atleast separate that whole 'gamergate' garbage from the general discussion. That shit always stuck out like a sore thumb, as well as related 'opinions' that polluted the entire forum. Definitely not inviting.

Yeah, unless Twitter starts making you reCaptcha every time you want to post on your phone forums are going to go back to being more of a niche thing. Outside of certain black holes like 4chan and reddit many forums are on their way out for sure.
It's just that everyone has a smartphone now and we all like to binge-watch Netflix while perusing Facebook, Twitter and other things that made usable phone apps. ("We" being you all since I excised myself from the Facebook-verse but my inner Grammar Nazi won't let me use "you all" in a sentence when I want to be taken seriously.)

I'm old fashioned and mildly part of the PC Gamer Master Race so I still like my browser tabs and forums while binge-watching Netflix.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Hoo...ray? I didn't realize we were at war. I was also sure that a lot of older users left the site when Extra Credits did. Well, whatever; I'm one of the oldies after all so I suppose I've won too...in this contest I didn't realize I was playing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Falling said:
Wait. 2010 is considered old now? 2009, and I don't particularly feel like an old one.
5 years is a lot of time for most people to participate in an online forum. Hell, many of the ones I've frequented haven't survived that long. Which is probably my fault.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I have a sad now.

An old, old sad.

We still lost a bunch of posters who were actually fun to read, so it's still a loss by me.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, my profile says I joined in 2008. So I believe I'm compelled to spout something about how y'all are a bunch of Johnny-come-latelies who don't know what for, and wax nostalgic about how great the place was before you came along and ruined everything.

...Okay, then, let's consider that done. Moving on...?

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Huh. Well, I guess it's less us oldies (can I say that yet, Papa?) winning the war and more all of the content creators being taken behind the shed with a double barrel so no-one wants to come see the circus any more, even if Yahtzee the Magical Bear is still here. Frankly, it sounds like Yahtzee's just here out of the fact of not caring to move anywhere else.

But, you know, once the pack of Loading Ready Run Collies that can imitate humans and the guitar playing K.K Dunn are gone, along with everything else, less new people want to come see the sadly empty circus.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Its quite funny you took a comparison to 2011, the year i joined the site. Im both the "good" and the "Bad" member in your statistics. Apparently sticking around a site i like is bad.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
I started to get into the forums back when there was interesting discussion. I never had any interest in GG so when that took over the forum I kinda zoned out for awile. But it just never went away. The mods got super strict to police it and that just made it worse. So they lost content and community feeling. It's gonna be hard for the site to come back from this.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Hmmmm, 'Victory in Escapist Day' .... almost as important as that other VE Day.

I like to imagine myself as Lance-Corporal Jack Jones in this entire affair;

In all honesty, I thought it was mostly 2013ers and younger that were the strongest presence. Still ... I was completely unaware of this war. But now that we've won, I feel the need to tell war stories and embellish my involvement.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
Ah come on! Seriously? I just came out of my lurking hole, and now this?

Also, is it weird that I never bothered to look at anyone's post count or join date until I took a look at this thread and does that say something good or bad about me?

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
Cycloptomese said:

Also, is it weird that I never bothered to look at anyone's post count or join date until I took a look at this thread and does that say something good or bad about me?
It's a good thing man most of this is just tongue and cheek humor. All us oldies want to see this place get back on its feet again but like a few others are saying with the loss of content, the fires of GG and anti-GG, and strange moderation rules, we're not sure it'll ever recover.

Back when I joined tongue and cheek humor was the norm and the war was over people derailing or posting mlp stuff. Man those were fun times. Sure people were still vitriolic about the whole thing but it wasn't the divide that GG started. I wish GG never happened and we could go back to those days where we talked about our hobby and how it was fun.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Yay! I didn't even know I was at war, but yay I'm on the winning side. I think. I can't remember my joining year, I'll see after I hit "post" Either way I shall count myself among the winners.

Hey I like there being new people around though, we need fresh blood round these parts sometimes!

Though that being said, you're now making me feel old. Stop that.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Cycloptomese said:

You cool that a lurking hole? Check it: I got two years on you officially! My lurking hole is deep and meanders for miles. John McClane could get lost in it twice!

Padwolf said:
Yay! I didn't even know I was at war, but yay I'm on the winning side. I think. I can't remember my joining year, I'll see after I hit "post" Either way I shall count myself among the winners.

Hey I like there being new people around though, we need fresh blood round these parts sometimes!

It's written on your profile page, nana!

deathmothon said:
I started to get into the forums back when there was interesting discussion. I never had any interest in GG so when that took over the forum I kinda zoned out for awile. But it just never went away. The mods got super strict to police it and that just made it worse. So they lost content and community feeling. It's gonna be hard for the site to come back from this.
From what I've seen (though the worst of it was likely before my time), the site practically bent over backwards to accommodate that topic. If it helps, though, it appears to have mostly wound down here; there's certainly nothing remaining like the traffic the initial mega-thread got. So, hey, if you wanna jump in, I say do it with both feet!

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Algernon said:
So we have 5 pages of people sharing almost identical complaints, why doesn't the site do something? Traffic is clearly shit, and they're also clearly running on a budget I wouldn't want to buy Ramen on.
Probably because, at least from a planning perspective, the question of "How do we reverse entropy/apathy?" isn't a fun thing to bring up at the weekly meeting.

I remember I first heard of this place waaaaaaaaay back in the mists of time, when X-Play was partnered with us to show preview clips of Zero Punctuation's episode before it released. It just used to feel like there was more things worth saying, and more things worth reading here a few short years ago.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Barbas said:
Padwolf said:

It's written on your profile page, nana!

:O! I knew one day you'd do this to me Barbas. How could you?!

Yeah well you're older than me on twitter. SO HA!

.... I'll see myself out :(