Celebrate Those Who Let You Play In Peace

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Celebrate Those Who Let You Play In Peace

Celebrate those who let you play in peace, for they are treasures to be cherished.

Read Full Article

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I'm lucky that my mother (for the most part) leaves me alone to play my videogames as much as I want. But with the story of that guy's wife in mind, I think it's sad that he married someone that doesn't understand or accept his enjoyment of videogames. Besides family members, who you don't have a choice with, you shouldn't sorround yourself with people that don't understand you or what you like, and certainly not marry them. Or if you do, don't complain about it.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
thanks mum ^w^
XD its not really fair for me, my mum was hooked on the Tomb Raider series, she's still trying to finish the latest one, plus my mum is younger than my friend's mums, so she's closer to this generation

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
I think I have a pretty good plan worked out with my wife. We spend a few hours a night after work together to have dinner and watch tv/spend time together. After that we usually have a few hours to ourselves so that she can watch her reality show crap (that I refuese to watch) and I can play my games.

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
Strategy guides ruin the fun of exploration, besides the internet probably has the same information for free.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Agreed. Why would you recommend anyone purchase one when there's a spoilernet available for all?

Unless you're part of some underground strategy guide conspiracy or part of some covert guerrilla marketing campaign on behalf of the Kabal of Gaming Strategists.

I'm able to play in peace, as long as I remember headphones when others are sleeping. That minor inconvenience is the prime reason I'm looking at investing in property, once we feel the true impact of this housing crisis down here.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
The only problem I have with the girlfriend is that when I have a game she doesn't want to watch (Shooters, GTA, Survival Horror) it is very hard to find time to play it.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I thank the good graces above for my family everyday, each and every one of us understanding of some aspect of gaming. My sister is a rabid insta-gratification shootathon junkie. My little bro, only 5, already shooting his way through Sonic Adventure levels with gleeful ease. My mum loves racing games and wii-games, but she's willing to try others, she even wants to start playing WoW soon if you can believe it. Dad, talks about potentials of gaming consoles with me once a week in an evening debate, I look forward to it.

...I feel bad for people with game hater families =( I got real lucky. <3

While I will say this, some people veiw strategy guides as a sign of weakness...she may of blown you off for the wrong reason but maybe that's how she saw it. Me...depends on the game, I cave if I'm stuck for a week... And in which case it's probably already aaalll over the internet.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
My wife used to heap rations on me if I decided to play WoW for 4 hours on a weekend at any given sitting. She just couldn't see how or why....not the fact that Saturday and Sunday are my only two days off, and after I do chores about the house (laundry, vacuum, etc...) how coudl possibly anyone want to be left alone for a few hours in peace and quiet and enjoy a world outside of my own.

Then she discovered FaceCrack.

Now she realizes she can't grief me anymore for my playing habits as she herself admittedly is now addicted to throwing 'virtual snoballs' and handing out 'virtual drinks' and dreaming up captions for pictures of friends. It's like a high school lunch break that never ends.

HA!

MrBliss

Jul 25, 2008
My Girlfriend can be like that about games but since we started playing Soul Calibur together she's got better. I've got her Fable 2 for Xmas so hopefully she'll enjoy that and realise what I like about games.

I doubt I'll get her playing Left 4 Dead any time soon, but it's a start.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
aBlackKnight said:
Strategy guides ruin the fun of exploration, besides the internet probably has the same information for free.
excatly that is the sole reason why i visit IGN, i get the same info for free.

bikeninja

Oct 4, 2007
Thanks Vivian! (my girlfriend)

Actually, she usually joins and helps me. We tend to share video games, even 1 player ones (taking turns or simply watching the other one play). Unfortunately, we only get this way when it comes to video games. She despises the fact that I play warhammer, and almost goes out of her way to make me feel bad when I do. but other than that, we get along well with gaming. I remember way back when Kingdom hearts 2 came out, she was out of town. She called me up mere minutes after I put the disc in:
"Hey honey,what are you up too?"
"Just bought Kingdom Hearts 2 and I just started it.(pause game) What's up?"
"Oh, nothing, I'll let you get back to your game. I know you've been waiting for it. Just wanted to say hi. Don't ruin any of it for me!"

My parents use to bug me about gaming, saying it was a waste of time. Then I won $500 in a smash bros. tournament, they tend to bother me less now. (unless I'm playing rock Band really loud)

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
You know, normally I found little asides of this sort to be somewhat off-putting, and often decidedly random. Perhaps because I've been antagonized so often in recent past that I find these little treasures even more enjoyable when I get them.

So, excellent writing, Susan. I shall celebrate my peace by enjoying my escapism.

Myan

I Want to Go to There!
Dec 16, 2003
Brokkr said:
I think I have a pretty good plan worked out with my wife. We spend a few hours a night after work together to have dinner and watch tv/spend time together. After that we usually have a few hours to ourselves so that she can watch her reality show crap (that I refuese to watch) and I can play my games.
And this is a recipe for a beautiful relationship.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Myan said:
Brokkr said:
And this is a recipe for a beautiful relationship.
Yea, I'm pretty happy with the situation. I get my game time in and I also get to spend time with my wife. Plus she's happy with how it works as well.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I recommended the strategy guide because I find it particularly useful (maps are your friends) and the guide for Fallout 3 is particularly well done. And she wasn't saying she didn't want it because he wouldn't need it - I have absolutely no problem with that - she didn't want to do anything that might facilitate him playing the game.

nuckpang

Dec 11, 2007
You lucky humans :( I come from a family of technophobes, none of them game, or even use the internet unless it's to book flights or a concert on ticketmaster. At the worst of times they've told me that they're worried about my "internet addiction" (spending up to five hours online between gaming with friends, chatting with people on MSN, and watching videos and doing college work amounts to an addiction apparently), and at the best of times told me that I'm wasting my life in front of a screen. They disapprove of basically everything that involves a computer.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
nuckpang said:
You lucky humans :( I come from a family of technophobes, none of them game, or even use the internet unless it's to book flights or a concert on ticketmaster. At the worst of times they've told me that they're worried about my "internet addiction" (spending up to five hours online between gaming with friends, chatting with people on MSN, and watching videos and doing college work amounts to an addiction apparently), and at the best of times told me that I'm wasting my life in front of a screen. They disapprove of basically everything that involves a computer.
Wow dude that sucks.....I empathize for you.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Lucky people. Whenever anybody I live with comes in they will ***** and whine for me to stop playing. Gets quite annoying really. Even when I refuse they will sit next to me annoying me until I just turn it off.