Ceramic Fanatic

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Ceramic is all right, but it's no aluminum.
Everything I've seen that requires ceramic requires just as much aluminum, and plenty of things require aluminum that don't require ceramic.
Adhesive was my problem for a while before I discovered the wonders of vegetable starch.
Edit: Preston is wrong, Institute rifles are post-war.

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
I haven't played it, only watched a stream of it. It seemed weird the guns and clothes were left behind, usually the things you want to have as many of as possible.

I bet this game would've worked better as a spin-off or new IP, like it seems like a spin-off of Fallout 3, which in turn is a spin-off of Fallout NV, and that's a spin-off of Fallout 2, the sequel to Fallout.

Still, it looks prettier, there's more than 2 colors and not everything always looks like shit.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I entirely agree about the limitations of the dialogue wheel. I actually don't understand why they chose that route - especially since 'yes' 'no' 'sarcastic' and 'annoyed' are the absolute worst possible options.

Especially with Minuteman quests -

"Are you with the Minutemen?"

Options: "Yes." "Yes I'm with the Minutemen." "I'm with the Minutemen, how can I help?" and "I'm with the Minutemen, what's the problem?"
I don't see any reason why they couldn't just record more lines. Go big or go home.

Also a second voice would've been nice - My character is dressed in military fatigues and has a bandanna around his mouth. The voice suits him, because he's a fairly generic looking guy, what with his machine-guns and rifles and mercenary attitude. My brother has welding goggles, a mohawk and a US flag tied around his mouth and carries a knife he named Bastard and is continually hopped up on Psycho Jet, yet his voice comes out normal and reasonable. Like he has brief moments of lucidity during his constant drug high.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Not sure if this fixes the dialogue system but there is a mod to allow you to see the full lines your character will say replacing the dialogue wheel. I have linked an article talking about it below

Mod for Dialouge [http://www.destructoid.com/fallout-4-mod-lets-you-see-full-sentence-dialogue-prompts-321391.phtml]

I do agree that the loss of the science and perk based dialogue options is a loss for the roleplay side but I think the combat side has improved enough that I don't use VATS

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Id agree with the strip..if it wasn't for the fact Preston is holding up an institute advanced rifle <3

Seriously, that rifle is such a sweet gun, as soon as I got one I got addicted to it, pew pewing everyone that so much as looked at me funny.

Otherwise i loved the description of the dialogue wheel as the system bioware came up with in order to destroy rpgs xD
It's funny because it's true....

XDSkyFreak said:
I bet y'all 100$ Fallout 4 will receive "best rpg" at the very least from the majority of outlets (escapists included, don't think I forgot the inquisition fiasco ... how the fuck any self respecting outlet can call something that has berely been out for a few weeks and no one but the most insane speed runners has had time to finish best anything of the year, let alone best game is beyond me)
Don't know if it'll make you feel better but it was the forumites who voted DA:I as GOTY that time, rather then the escapist site itself :/
You're right about your prediction though, there's a "what's your GOTY for 2015" thread around and surprise surprise, fo4 is one of the most recurrent nominees, even though im willing to bet most who did that are still playing through the game so haven't had the distance necessary to be truly objective, repeating the DA:I situation all over again.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
The salvage system is kind of a mess when you start to question the quantities of materials you get out of certain things. 25 pound barbell, weighing 25 pounds: 4 steel. Institute Laser rifle: 4 Plastic, 1 Screw. (The screw is important, no pew pew without screw screw) Gold Watch weighing 0.1 pounds: 2 gold bars, a Gear and a Spring.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
XDSkyFreak said:
But hey, what the fuck do I know right? I mean I've only been around to play games since the NES days, it's not like I've been forced to see franchise after franchise I love get dumbed down and reduced to the most bland, wattered down "Streamlined" experience that even a retarded 2 year old surviving on a diet of his own farts can play!
I've long accepted the fact that AAA games nowdays are made for the magical extended audience people, having a more or less defined fanbase and making games with the appropriate budget to match is so last decade. We need to make investor confidence high people, INCREASE THE MARKETING BUDGET!

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
I think i got my hopes to high for the crafting part. Fo4 is basically a prettier Fo3 and that's fine, but the tacked on settlements are boring.
Nothing you do matters and once you've defenses up the attacks stop completly, so it's more fun to NOT defend your settlements.

If you don't go for high charisma then the biggest part of the settlements are cut out from the game anyway, because there won't be any traderoutes nor shops. And the buildings you build aren't really used ontop of that. The settlers either stand at their designated workin' area or walkround aimlessly.

There's just nothing to it, it's empty and shallow.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Honestly, I'm waiting a bit for more 3rd party mods to come out before plunking into Fallout 4. The fan community will likely come up with something to fix the conversation and RP portions along with stuff that tweaks the combat system. Bethesda releases always seem to be one of those wonderland single player games where the game is valued more for what can be done with it than playing it vanilla.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Yep, this game has certainly turned our in-game habits completely on their head.

First rule of Fallout 4: junk items are not junk.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Bummer about how bad the dialogue system is; I especially loved using scientific or medical knowledge to solve problems or just smooth talking my way through conflicts in previous games. Seriously, that makes me not want to get the game.

I like the idea of coffee cups and other junk being the prized possessions: it always felt a little silly to me to keep finding armor and other manufactured goods in places that were looted an extremely long time ago rather than crafting something both silly and awesome.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
XDSkyFreak said:
and there you've glanced on the head of the nail with the hammer. Fallout 4 is a shooter. a preety decent if not generic and boring shooter with a preety decent bullet time mechanic with some semblance of rpg elements bolted on the side. And that is all there is to it, Calling this ... abortion an RPG is worthy of hanging IMO, but just you wait for the anual masturbation contest ... I bet y'all 100$ Fallout 4 will receive "best rpg" at the very least from the majority of outlets (escapists included, don't think I forgot the inquisition fiasco ... how the fuck any self respecting outlet can call something that has berely been out for a few weeks and no one but the most insane speed runners has had time to finish best anything of the year, let alone best game is beyond me) ... and this in the year CD Projekt Red basicaly came around and pimp slaped the entire gaming industry in the face with their sausage and showed them not just how to make a fantastic RPG (take notes retardware and console-esda) but also how to be competent fucking devs and make a good game people want to buy. But hey, what the fuck do I know right? I mean I've only been around to play games since the NES days, it's not like I've been forced to see franchise after franchise I love get dumbed down and reduced to the most bland, wattered down "Streamlined" experience that even a retarded 2 year old surviving on a diet of his own farts can play!
I don't get this arguments at all. Fallout 4 is not a shooter. It doesn't play like a shooter, and the emphasis is clearly not on the shooting mechanics. I swear, they take mild steps to make the shooting mechanics not play like ass, and people act like they've turned into call of duty. It's just a slightly improved version of the last game.

The companion system is improved, the stats are improved, the game play is improved, the settlement system is awesome... If it has a flaw, it's that it tries to do too much. But is it really such a sin to try and improve the formula? The original games were a disorganized mess, with bad gameplay and Design. Bethesda has attempted to fix all that while keeping the RPG elements intact, and I would argue they've largely succeeded. I'll concede that the dialogue was a huge mistake, but otherwise it's just an improved version of Fallout 3.

Edit: and for all the complaints about how bad the opening was, it's still heads and shoulders above Fallout 2, everyone's darling.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
It took this comic to make me realize that the mugs are made of ceramic. Probably should have put that on the search for option, lol.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Devieus said:
I haven't played it, only watched a stream of it. It seemed weird the guns and clothes were left behind, usually the things you want to have as many of as possible.

I bet this game would've worked better as a spin-off or new IP, like it seems like a spin-off of Fallout 3, which in turn is a spin-off of Fallout NV, and that's a spin-off of Fallout 2, the sequel to Fallout.

Still, it looks prettier, there's more than 2 colors and not everything always looks like shit.
Wait, didn't 3 come out before New Vegas?

And what was with the ragging on how BioWare did conversation sequences? It felt off-topic.