Champions Online Going Super Free-to-Play

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
I paid like 30 bucks for this game, didnt play it a whole lot but it is fun.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
This was a game I always wanted to give it a try, but I don't like spending money on PC games because I never actually pay them that much. But I can't argue with the value of this new deal, so I'll definetly try this out.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I cancelled my CO subscription years ago but I wouldn't mind restarting it. I really enjoyed Champions Online (first and only MMO I've ever gotten a character to max level in)

Cabamacadaf

Mar 17, 2009
Aeshi said:
I cancelled my CO subscription years ago but I wouldn't mind restarting it. I really enjoyed Champions Online (first and only MMO I've ever gotten a character to max level in)
It came out last year, how can you have cancelled it years ago?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Cabamacadaf said:
Aeshi said:
It came out last year, how can you have cancelled it years ago?
Metaphorical Years

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Good luck to them and hopefully their additional revenue will convince Blizzard to go F2P as well so I can join the fray!
If WoW went free to play, God save these games.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
phoenix352 said:
the more free to play mmo's the better .
DOWN WITH SUBSCRIPTION BASED GAMES!
I'll go ahead and disagree here.

I prefer having subcription-based MMOs, as you get everything there is in the game. With 'free to play' ones you don't; you usually get a really empty base and have to buy other things from the store or something.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
MurderousToaster said:
I actually don't mind microtransactions. But I damn well hate the "You get a bit of content for free but the rest is locked in a box 'till you pay" system.
So far the C-Store has all been neat little doodads of one kind or another. To be fair, I haven't logged into Champions in months, but I've got a lifetime sub on STO.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Hm... i played it when it came out. Good game, one of the best even. I hope i can play my characters after that change.

But i will definatly check it out, when they switch to voluntary payments (If they do it right and do not charge for essentials).

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Hmm... looks like the free players will be nerfed substantially [http://www.champions-online.com/f2p_matrix].

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Erana said:
Oooh, I've been wanting to try the character designer this game. I'm glad I can play it now...

Its Wine compatible, right?
For what it's worth (and I didn't read the rest of the posts so someone else may have already told you...) but the game already has an endless free trial giving access to the character creator. I know it's why I downloaded it at least.

As for being Wine compatible? Couldn't say.

OT: Awesome. It excites me when solid games go free. God, I love being a PC gamer.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
Xanthious said:
I honestly think that WoW just has too big a piece of the MMO market to allow any other pay to play MMO to find any scrap of success. I think this will be most obvious when when Old Republic fails to find anything but mediocre success upon release. Simply put, the people that want to play a pay to play MMO are already playing WoW and nothing is going to drive those people away in large enough numbers to ever make a meaningful dent.
I doubt TOR will fail that hard, it won't get the same numbers as WoW right away, but then WoW didn't start out with 12 million people wanting to play it.

If the gameplay for TOR is accessible as WoW seems to be you might get the people who "Want to play an MMO, but don't want to play a Fantasy MMO." You'll also have people who will treat this game basically like KoTOR 3-whatever. The Star Wars fanbase is big enough that it could gain the same kind of momentum that WoW has. The rest is the polish of the game itself and how well the company markets it.

A lot will also depend on what long term plans (next 5 years) Blizzard has for WoW. Will they upgrade the engine? Will they create WoW2 and try to phase out the original?

I don't think TOR will necessarily take away anyone from WoW, but it might draw people into MMOs that didn't like the idea of WoW and didn't find a niche game they liked.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
Jaranja said:
phoenix352 said:
the more free to play mmo's the better .
DOWN WITH SUBSCRIPTION BASED GAMES!
I'll go ahead and disagree here.

I prefer having subcription-based MMOs, as you get everything there is in the game. With 'free to play' ones you don't; you usually get a really empty base and have to buy other things from the store or something.
that may be true in some games but most games i play that are free 2 play like DDO, maple story and other have a good amount of free stuff to do with DDo only some quest lines are locked and you can earn the cash to buy them by playing the free quests and in maple every thing is free EVERY THING. most free 2 play mmos that really want to succeed have a lot of content available for free users so they wont leave and buy some of that micro transaction items.