Character classes you hate

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
I'm talking more about the flavour of these classes than their actual mechanics, by the way. I imagine a lot of people don't like fighters or anything because they dont like the typical playstyle, that being 'go up to thing and whack it until it stops moving' but I find nothing wrong with the concept of a fighter.

-Monks

Before you ask, yes, MOP is the reason I'm bringing this up, but it applies to monks in most other games as well (like, for example, D&D and the computer games derived from it).

Now then; Monks. I really hate them. Your typical roleplaying monk is a guy who specializes in unarmoured, unarmed combat. The reason I hate this is that monks routinely go up against well-trained guys with weapons specifically designed for killing people, and win. Not only that, but oftentimes (especially in D&D) the monk makes a better fighter than the plate-armoured axe-wielding death machine! That's... just... so... stupid.

-Druids

First off, I know this is a personal peeve of mine, but I always thought 'nature' themed abilites and whatnot always seemed kind of... uninteresting. And silly. And useless. Now in gameplay terms, Druids do of course have good abilities, but I look at druids in the same kind of light that I look at Aquaman. If an encounter is taking place outdoors in a rural setting, a druid is right in his environment, but if you put one in an urban setting, or underground, their abilities would logicallly be mostly useless.

A typical druid ability is the ability to turn into various animals, and while I will concede that a bear with intelligence behind it would be bloody terrifying, shapeshifting never really appealed to me as a power.

Finally, druids tend to come off as straw environmentalists, which is not only annoying in and of itself but pointless in worlds that haven't even undergone industrial revolutions yet.

Now there are other classes I don't like playing as, but don't get annoyed by their presence. Clerics are one example because I don't like the idea in-universe that if all your abilities aren't necessarily your own doing, for example, all your spells are granted to you by a god or somesuch, then that god could utterly screw you over if you ever did anything to displease them. Paladins had a big problem with this in older versions of D&D because if they ever made some choices that weren't considered 'lawful good', they'd be stripped of all their powers and be unable to level up anymore.

Anyway, those are my class-based peeves. What classes do you hate, if any? Do you disagree with my own choices?

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
Druid has always been REALLY boring to me, the whole nature thing just doesn't appeal to me (which is ironic since I love nature in real life and go hiking very often). Shapeshifting hasn't been done good too, like ever.

Necromancer is the second one - Not that I hate the idea, I actually love it, but they never seem to get it right. Either the minions are useless, not enough or just plain boring to look at (Guild Wars 2), again ironic since I play a necro in GW2 ;d Not in GW1 though, it was just as tedious there.

Warriors - what's the point of playing a warrior in a fantasy game? Seems contradictory to me and I've felt they can never keep up with the fun factor the other, less dreary, classes have.

That's pretty much it I suppose, at least I can't think of any more ;d

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Saladfork said:
I imagine a lot of people don't like fighters or anything because they dont like the typical playstyle, that being 'go up to thing and whack it until it stops moving' but I find nothing wrong with the concept of a fighter.
Oh, I don't think people really have a problem with that specifically. I mean, I don't see a problem but I realise that the implementation is just poor - namely "go up to thing and whack it until it stops moving". Dante from Devil May Cry is a fighter that does it not-boring, for example, and there are others.

Saladfork said:
I agree with the fluff stupidity, just pointing out that in D&D their seemingly useless abilities are the among the strongest in the game.

As for my classes. Strictly going fluff-wise:

Bards - they are just....unimpressive. They can sing/play...and know some stuff...and, erm, aren't bad at most stuff. Pretty meh all around. Seems like they'll tag along just because they suck at everything else. Not that they don't suck when tagging alone, they are just there...because.

Clerics - most of the time they are just so-o-o preachy. And annoying. And...Christian. Nothing against Christianity, but, come on, just have more variety in larger amount of works. A cleric of Zeus, anyone? Or a cleric of Thor. Or some worshipping Cthulhu. Or, I dunno, fuck it, make them worship Thursday. Make it happen!

Paladins - you know clerics? The paladins are worse. And for some reason too many games manage to make the "good holy warriors" come off as utter pricks. How hard can it be? You have a knight who is all about being good and stuff, how is it that so often that manages to turn that into smug, self-righteous prude who takes judgement into their own hands and tries to punish jaywalking?

Though, it should be noted, being a prick isn't bad by itself. I mean, you can certainly go for a more ruthless paladins but just do them right.

Father Alexander fucking Anderson from Hellsing, *****

You know what? Just make all paladins like that and I'll be happy.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
DoPo said:
Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about bards. Who's first instinct at the sight of potential danger is pull out their lute?

And as I said, in D&D at least, paladins kind of have to be judgemental and hardline on the law or they'd lose all their powers. I'm not defending it, I'm just saying that that's the way the game is designed.

I Stomp on Kittens

Don't let go!
Nov 3, 2008
Tragedy said:
Shapeshifting hasn't been done good too, like ever.
I thought the Diablo 2 LoD Shapeshifting was good! It was kind of basic but super fun!
But I totally agree with everything else you've said.

I don't like the super generic classes that do not bring anything new to the class. Those are the one's that I don't like because I've played them for years and now it's time for something fresh and exciting!

StylinBones

Mar 3, 2012
I'm probably in the minority, but I hate a thief/rogue. I hate stealth. On the other hand, I love a hacker, which is semi-stealhy...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Total support classes.

"Four White Mages? That'll never work." - Black Mage, 8-Bit Theater.

Irony of the statement aside, playing classes with little fighting power, health, defense, etc. or combinations of all of that who live only to help others indirectly or else die for being weak characters are not...pleasant for me. Bards, I hate especially, because the only bard-class I wanna see is a heavy rocker with sonic boom powers through his awesome guitar. (I have such a character on a forum.) Being supporty and looking about as harmless as that wayward Slime is not a happy time.

My Charr in Guild Wars 2 has support powers to others and himself at once. He's also a Blood Legion ass-kicker. The boundaries can be broken.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
I generally don't like pure mages in video games, though I do enjoy roleplaying brilliant students of the arcane. There's just something that I don't enjoy about the mage gameplay in many videogames.

I don't think I really have a "hated" class for roleplaying. I can see your point about monks, though.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Yo. If you have a guy in robes walking around with zero weapons, and he beats an ax wielder, thats not stupid. It's pure badassery.

Anyway...

Pure mage- I need some decent melee skills to complement it or I'm fucked. The only time being a pure mage was fun was in Kingdom of Amalur. It helped that they made the staffs and chakrams awesome.

Healer- Just...thats all they're good for. Heal people AND have some descent attacks. That's all I want. Katara from The Last Airbender is how you do that right.

Pure thief- If I bugger the stealth I'm just get to take it up the ass most of the time. I guess I just hate full on classes because I'll more of a multi skill guy.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
Theives, Rogues and Bards-

People say clerics are Preachy but I find these guys and girls have attention issues, always bragging about how they can pick the best locks or disarm traps and ALWAYS with a whiny voice or dark brooding voice like a want to be assassin.

Barbarians- Why bother being a barbarian if you can be a better "fighter" with heavier armor. Most games always focus on the fighter first as the base class so you tend to get better items and stuff Unlike barbarians the fill-er in class.

Drow Classes- Ever since that over-rated guy drizzit made peoples bookshelves I dont know how many people name themselves Drizzit 12896712789412 online when this race/class is available. Really Elminster was a far superior hero if you going to copy do it right.

Some Magic classes- sometimes there is nothing more boring than a mage. Elder scrolls is a perfect example of why I hate mage classes sometimes because the powers are way too under-powered with limited spells and a small manapool in comparison to a warhammer and enchanted armour where you can still power swing with 0 stamina. So yeah the fireworks and graphics are cool but in the end your still dead.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
Any kind of heavy weapons user, whether it's with the big broadswords, battleaxes, and war hammers of fantasy games or the rocket launchers and miniguns of shooters. Not that I can't have fun with them if I can get myself into the right mindset, but on a normal day I find the more subtle approach of rogues and snipers to be infinitely more satisfying. For similar reasons (namely, the lack of subtlety), I also have a hard time getting into most magic-based classes.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Monks. Every game they are put in they nearly ruin it with their ridiculously stupid gameplay! MOP Kung fu panda monks HOW ORIGINAL! taking out that human in full plate armor with a sword and shield with a stick and a straw hat in no armor? Pffft. Warcraft has become a pixar cartoon.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Rogue/Thief - I just don't have the patience for all that stealth stuff. Give me a sword and let me hit things.

Indecipherable

Mar 21, 2010
Fighter/Mage classes, but not for the reasons that might immediately spring to mind. I love the concept, but the execution is always poor. I REALLY WANT TO PLAY THIS.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Theme wise definitely paladins, I can?t stand them. My GW2 guardian is the first time I have ever played a paladin themed class because I usually won?t touch them.

Bard is...silly I guess. I don?t think the archetype translates into a class very well. Singing as a combat mechanic? Sorry I don?t really buy the ?raising moral? thing.

Slow brutish warriors don?t appeal to me at all though there is nothing wrong with the concept. I just find it very boring.

Other than that I can?t think of any classes I don?t like for reason other than gameplay.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Saladfork said:
Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about bards. Who's first instinct at the sight of potential danger is pull out their lute?

(before he became a Dashing Swordsman, that is)

OT: Dual-wielding rangers. I heard somewhere that the dual-wielding thing was implemented after Drizzt became popular, but that's not why it annoys me. It annoys me because character classes are based on archetypes. A ranger brings to mind a bow-and-arrow guy who feels at home in the woods. You know, kinda like Robin Hood. And the melee weapon he's associated with is a staff. OK, someone else? Aragorn. He wields a sword. OK, he dual-wields torches in that one-sentence scene in Fellowship, but that doesn't feel enough to base a defining class trait on.

So OK, I can't explain rationally why it bugs me so much. But it does.

Sep 15, 2012
There are no classes I hate, nor any I love.

Is the discussion about the mechanics the classes usually employ or the role stereotypes people use?

Try not to drag PnP into this, a good DM/GM/ST can easily rework the mechanics, a good player can create something that is not a stereotype or an obvious x-piece puzzle.

"Every concept is doable, and doable well,
just not everywhere and by anybody."

— Kellogs Fried Chickn

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Minion classes, mostly Necromancers. They just tend to feel really unsatisfying and useless.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Alright, since my hated classes come from just about any and every game I play that has a class, here are mine:

Vanguards - Yep, from Mass Effect. I think part of my hate for these guys is that, I love the idea. I really do. Charge up to someone and shotgun the shit out of something up-close and personal? Sign me up! But the fact is, I can't play them for the life of me. Nova is my worst enemy, I can't use any of my favorite shotguns due to high weight and risk slow recharge times, and if I use a light shotgun, they're weak and end up getting me killed anyway. If I decide to not care about a quick recharge, I don't use my powers at all. Its pointless in my case. I just don't have fun.

Paladins - I have to admit, I have a gripe against Paladins myself, usually how they happen to be portrayed. Good at just about everything, high and mighty, so self-righteous and pious... But usually done wrong. Really, they need to be changed, and better yet, renamed: Call em Crusaders. Fits the theme better as holy warriors, but at the same time, you have more leeway seeing as Crusaders were usually fanatics, and pretty clearly very black-and-white fanatics.

Necromancers - Why do these guys generally have to be evil? For a change, I'd love to see some Necromancers that are pretty nice, accepted for who they are and what they do, and have whatever magical community happens to be involved acknowledge that yes, Necromancy is a legitimate magical art. Kind of like the College of Winterhold, really.

I'd also get into the gripe as to why Orcs and Goblins are almost always evil, while Elves are usually prettier humans who hug trees, while Dwarves are just shorter, hairier humans who live underground. The cliches and stereotypes kind of suck, but this thread is about classes, not races, so...