Character classes you hate

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
maninahat said:
I don't dislike any class in particular, but they all have their cliches. I tend to dislike assassins, because people always cast them as awesome, death dealing, trench-coating badasses. But every class has their own cliche. Big muscular barbarian? Do-gooder Paladins in shiny armour? Slight, tall rangers? It applies to races too.

My one piece of advice is that if you make a viking dwarf with an axe, or a haughty elf with a bow, just stop right there. Just stop and rethink how boring you're being.
I don't know. There is the opposite problem of people trying to be as "unique" as possible, only to realize that despite being having some fancy exotic class or race, they still have absolutely no personality.

I would rather go for the time tested cliches if they're not done in a way that's too annoying.
Already done (maybe even to death), doesn't necessarily mean it will be bad. At least it would rather be better than "My epic sorcerer-monk half demon half orc who uses katanas".

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Mesmers from Guild Wars 2. I swear they have no point other than being a troll class. Here's a basic rundown of my fights with mesmers: "My gosh, just...stand still already! Stop putting conditions on me and fight like a man! Hah! Got you n...crap, he split into a couple clones...and now I'm a bird..." And the worst part of all of it isn't the class, it's the players! They all think they're so pro because the mesmer is supposed to be this "smart player's class" who is all about "out-smarting" your opponent, but all they do is pile on conditions so that you can't do anything, and run away!

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Yosharian said:
The type of monk that D&D monks are close to are martial arts monks, not bloody pacifist ones who spend all day looking at flowers. Imagine a shaolin monk.

If you think that "knights in the middle ages didn't often die" then you need to go read some history books my friend. And it's not necessarily that a monk could kill one in combat, but about rendering him useless.
They didn't die that often for one thing. For one thing the armor was really hard to get past, for another they where more valuable alive and often sold back the the warring kingdom. They could be defeated not often killed, all you needed to do was knock them on there back. I don't know what you have read but most of what I have read has said that they didn't die often. And I can see why. It would be like taking down a tank today yeah it can be done, but it's hard. You are much better off going after the squires IE, the fuel trucks.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
I tend to dislike Clerics and Paladins. I love some of the awesome spells and abilities they get, but I just can't play as a servant to a god.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Zeckt said:
Monks. Every game they are put in they nearly ruin it with their ridiculously stupid gameplay! MOP Kung fu panda monks HOW ORIGINAL! taking out that human in full plate armor with a sword and shield with a stick and a straw hat in no armor? Pffft. Warcraft has become a pixar cartoon.
FYI and everyone elses, Pandarin Monks have been around in the series since Warcraft 3 although rather obscurely.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
I hate effect dealers, characters that spelling in damage over time like poisons, or slows, there boring.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Two classes I don't like the concept of:
Monks. In most cases, they're low-range with a poor equipment loadout, usually limited to light armour, made up for by high power and/or high HP and natural defence growth. It's the range that REALLY gets me. You have to get REALLY close to do anything, and I don't like that.

Full-support mages, with no direct offensive capabilities. If you're going to have a character that can buff allies and debuff enemies, make sure he has a reliable method of attack to counterbalance it.

Three classes that I hate playing as:
The Medic/White Mage. Healing is a necessary part of battle; I just can't stand doing it myself.

The Tank. Way too passive for me. You usually just stand there, draw enemy attacks and take hits. I don't like that. I prefer the whole "they can't hit you if you kill them first" approach. Let someone else take the hits for me. If I'm going to play a high-defence class, then at least let me dole out damage like nobody's business with my standard attacks, or use SOME kind of support skills other than, like, Taunt.

Any mage with an awful melee attack. It doesn't have to be powerful, just effective for getting enemies the hell away from me without burning my mana. It's even better if it's a good attack by its own merits. It is for this reason that I tend to gravitate toward Spellblade-type characters, with a focus on magic.

ZorroFonzarelli

Jan 5, 2009
Monks, for the same reason you highlighted.

I run D&D games far more than I play them, and Monks thematically don't belong in a standard fantasy campaign setting. They just don't. They fit an Asian-style campaign, but that's it.

Throw in the fact that they are vastly overpowered, needing no gear, armor or weapons to be one-man wrecking crews, and they are horribly overbalanced.

If I had to pay for all the gear a normal fighter has to and some player writes up a Monk that can do everything with zero cost, you've got a broken game.

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
Mages. Just... generalist Mages.
Look, guys, I get it. We're geeks and we like the idea of the bookworm kicking seventeen different types of ass because he has MAGIC! But come on!
Magic is far too typically used as a panacea, with a liberal dose of Handwavium Maximus. And the generalist Mage? He can do that. And that. And that. They're boring, commonplace, Mary Sue/Marty Stu characters that fit into one of four broad archetypes:
Old Sage Wise Guy
Young Hot-Headed Prodigy Guy
Evil Drunk on Magical Power Guy (The "Slutty, Evil Sorceress" trope redirects here)
I Am A God Guy

There's no variation and no flavour. They're boring.

For the record: I love playing Rogues, but I don't play them as Chaotic Stupid - my Rogues are typically frontline fighters with a focus on mobility and creating a maximum amount of dead in a minimum amount of time. With stealth for positioning and ambushing.
The fact that one of my Rogues in a current tabletop game is nicknamed "Captain Jerkface" is irrelevant here.

Invictusblade

Sep 13, 2012
the worst ever class is the shepard from Ultima IV which has the lowest magic, weaponary and armour in that game.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Summoning classes. Seems like you're just a middle man to the murder then. This is more with magic than some kind of connected to nature/friend of the animals kind of things. That seems like fighting with a friend rather than making a minion do your bidding.

I also don't particularly care for the tanking warrior archetype. I'd prefer it for tanks to be evasion based. The best way to take damage is to gain aggro and then not take damage at all. It's unfortunate that few games allow me to easily make a character like this.

As an aside, I tend to like either barbarian classes and their high risk, high reward gameplay or stealth based classes that let me create my evasion tank if possible.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Yosharian said:
I think we have reached the point where you are talking about soothing complacently different form me. I don't care about D&D charter classes, I was saying don't ascribe real world physics and fighting when you are arguing about I god damn game.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I never got into paladins which is bizarre. They can fight and heal themselves. It sounds like the best class evur on paper, but it always felt awkward playing one. It feels annoying to meet a paladin NPC too. They're often the "goody-goody kill every evil while there's a rock solo in the back" or "that douchebag that you meet at the gym who's always trying to prove to you that his biceps are bigger." In Dragon Age, I'm always told that mages are evil and templars are the best, but I always picked mages since templars are mostly pricks.

Necromancers are also awkward to play as, but never I didn't mind them much.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Saladfork said:
I'm talking more about the flavour of these classes than their actual mechanics, by the way. I imagine a lot of people don't like fighters or anything because they dont like the typical playstyle, that being 'go up to thing and whack it until it stops moving' but I find nothing wrong with the concept of a fighter.
I dont't really dislike any classes, but this is pretty much me. I like playing a class/character that uses ranged attacks (bows/magic/snipers) rather than melee.

Captcha: "Hello, Newman". Well, hello, Jerry.

Ventilator89

Jun 25, 2011
Rangers + Druids - I deeply love, love, LOVE the idea of a person deep in the magics of nature, firing a bow and arrow (if a ranger), and simply doing shape changing and all that stuff (if a Druid). But I can't stand the way it's done. Frankly, they just make it so dull. And the shades of green they usually use don't help either. They just can't make it interesting.

Fighter - what everyone has said above. Boring.

Bard - also love the idea, but not done properly. As well, I'm not a support kind of person, I would rather be in the midst of battle, clashing against my fellow enemy's, not singing a song =[

Pure Mage - I actually hate pure Mage. I like having both weapons and magic, not just magic. This is the same for fighter too.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I pretty much hate anything with simple gameplay - the old cliches of pure healers, warriors, paladins. I find them all rather dull if all you're doing is button mashing and healing, maybe unleashing a few aggro abilities, or casting heals and buffs, respectively. They all get rather dull and boresome. I like it when gameplay gets more complex.

Now, Dragon Age does that pretty smoothly, the classes are well thought out. You can get killed very quickly if you don't use your head and pause to make tactical decisions, or even have an inappropriate character build. It makes class development a careful art. There is some room for improvement, but it's rather interesting. It makes the use of abilities the key to victory. Yet it has to rely on a restrictive, slow levelling system to make sense.

Any class can be fun and skillful if designed right.

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
I dislike playing any class that isn't specialized. Red-mage and such. I almost never choose a class that doesn't excel in at least 1 thing, doesn't matter if it's a jrpg, shooter, or D&D. I want the all-out offensive magic or all-out tank or whatever. The rest of the party can make up for other aspects, that's why there's a party. I like characters that are the best at what they do, so the all-around, jack-of-all-trades classes just feel useless. They can't sufficiently fill any need on their own in most cases, and it's just boring.

Zeckt said:
Monks. Every game they are put in they nearly ruin it with their ridiculously stupid gameplay! MOP Kung fu panda monks HOW ORIGINAL! taking out that human in full plate armor with a sword and shield with a stick and a straw hat in no armor? Pffft. Warcraft has become a pixar cartoon.
Oh yes, it was a much more serious game back when I could play my pink-haired gnome riding a robotic bird without running into a panda monk... Also I think Kung-fu Panda was Dreamworks, not Pixar. Not that it matters, haha. Yeah, unoriginal, but so are half the race/class combinations people choose.