Character Death

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
twistedmic said:
From the North American/Canadian being human remake-
Cara's death was kinda sad. She was cute and Josh really seemed to like her, even though she had her sights set on Aidan, and was murdered by a pissed off, vengeful recently turned vampire. Made even worse by the fact that Josh all but begged Aidan to save her, which would have turned her as well.
And another from the Being Human remake (I haven't seen the UK version)- While she's not a minor character, the way Sally died
accidentally (I think) killed by her insanely jealous and insecure prick boyfriend. He shoved her against a wall, she bounced off then fell down the stairs.
was both shocking and sad.
When you said Cara I was thinking of the UK version, where there's a minor character called Cara (a vampire) who basically acts as kind of a lackey of the big bad of series 1, Herrick. She's also a vampire and gets trapped in a brick wall by Mitchell (the original version of Aidan) as punishment for breaking his rules on the group no longer drinking human blood, because he doesn't like actually killing fellow vampires. And now she's escaped and back, after resurrecting Herrick at the end of series 2. We don't have an original equivalent of your version of Cara though, save the name, so...

Also, your second example, that's exactly how the main ghost girl (Annie) dies - her boyfriend pushes her down the stairs then covers it up. And he's been cheating on her, to top it all off, and she ends up getting revenge at the end by scaring away the other woman and driving her killer/boyfriend insane. Not by showing herself to him as a ghost, he's perfectly fine with that, weirdly enough. It's only when she tells him what's in the afterlife and waiting for him that he goes mental (we don't hear it, she whispers it into his ear...).

On topic: It takes a hell of a lot to move me even when killing off a main character, so killing off a minor character almost never succeeds in doing so. However, I can't deny I was somewhat annoyed and upset slightly by the deaths of minor characters in Halo 3.

Send me out with a bang... great final words, and a fitting tribute to a badass soldier indeed...

Zergadooful

Sep 30, 2010
When Piggy died in Lord of the Flies. I was only 10 when I first read it so it was kind of a shock to me.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
half-Life 2 Episode 2.

Mutual friend my ass. G-man is going down.

NephTS

Feb 14, 2011
Mad Pierrot from Cowboy Bebop always got to me. Maybe it was just the scene itself rather than the fact that he died, but still.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
NephTS said:
Mad Pierrot from Cowboy Bebop always got to me. Maybe it was just the scene itself rather than the fact that he died, but still.
I know what you mean. His mental state as he dies combined with the location, a Disneyland-like theme park, and the background music give the death scene quite a punch to it.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
The whole Noble team dies in Halo reach and I was like, ah who cares? (actually, I was happy the chick died, she was annoying as fuck.) But the dude who gets you out of the chair in the beginning of Dead Space 2? I liked that guy. Why did he have to be taken? At least they didn't make me shoot him. And my car in GTA 4... My baby. There are like, hundreds just like it but does it look like I care? You dent my baby and I fuck you over with a shotgun, *****. Or that one dude in Just Cause 2. We just flying in a plane, get shot up and we lose an unnecessary character. I wanted Rico to die, that voice actor is terrible. And his lines suck. Why did the random black guy have to die?

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
I was moved by the death of Mr. House in New Vegas. The man worked so damn hard to get where he was and here I come, some dipshit of the dessert and rip the city away from him (along with his life). I immediately reloaded a save and sided with him.

Then there are anime characters, Gaara from Naruto in particular, though he was resurrected shortly afterward so I guess that doesn't count. Anyway, I'm glad he lived, since he is one of my favorite characters, even without the Ichibi inside him (fucking Akatsuki).

Also, not so much a character death, but I am always touched by the Kingdom Hearts series. Everything has this feeling of melancholy about it. Roxas' fate made me sad :<

Oh and there was my pet chicken in Minecraft that jumped into a pit of lava.

R.I.P. Mrs Bwark D:

Honorable mention goes to:
[HEADING=1]WHYYYYYYY!!!???[/HEADING]​

emion

Feb 3, 2011
well like every beauty-and-the-beast dath in mgs4 O.-
the all SCREAM over exaggeration >v<

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
ninjastovall0 said:
<youtube=OlbKDBz6k6c>
<youtube=wk_hUTWoyc4&feature=related>
To me the events directly before the end of Code Geass, were so much of a mindfuck, I barely felt anything for Lelouch because I was too busy trying to figure out what the hell was going on. The ending explained why, but it just made no sense before it, and not in a good way.
Also, I laughed sadistically when L died.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Good film/animation will emotionally link me. I don't have heavy RP groups so PnP is mostly dungeoneering, making the character's death more of a gleeful moment, followed by the opportunity to make up a new one. Video games don't emotionally involve me, at the very most I get immensly pissed because a character dies because of a decision. Not because I care for them, but because it only removes from the gameplay, ever strengthening the connections with the remaining cast.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
For all the completely justified grief I give the Bioware premium module Kingmaker (for Neverwinter Nights) thanks to the bad game design bugbears of "hidden triggers that force me, the player who is busy enjoying your game, to suddenly stop playing it and have quite possibly almost the entirety of the content closed off unless I find ways to tap-dance around them", the opening of that module was brilliant. You start off in medias res with a eclectic team of individuals (a scarred nymph, a renegade rakshasa, a were-rat, and one of those dwarves from the elemental plane of fire whose hair is made of fire), and then through a brief contrived sequence of events, all of you die.

But worry not! You're given the ability to resurrect yourself, and two companions of your choice. At that point your emotional investment in this cast of characters is all but nonexistent, as you don't really know them yet, all your interactions were off-screen, so what the game does to make you care about this choice is brilliant: You don't simply walk around, talk to all 4 of them, learn a bit of back-story, and then pick the ones you want to keep.

No, see, in order to resurrect the two companions you want to take with you, you have to tell the ones you aren't going to resurrect that you're condemning them to permanent death and then watch as they are dragged off screaming/cursing/numbly resigning themselves to their fate as the ominous reapers walking the battlefield your corporeal shell is currently having a vigorous "lie down on" pull them into the afterlife - if you don't do that first, you can't resurrect anyone because your magic sword/guardian angel thingie doesn't have a "charge".

Forcing the player to kill people you've just met who are ostensibly your friends and tell you as such, pleadingly, as they try to convince you that you should totally not condemn them to death and let them come back to life to help you, well that's the sort of decision that makes me hate myself and this was right at the bloody beginning. Such a shame the designers screwed things up later on with those asinine triggers that prevent players from actually seeing all the rest of their writing and quest design, grah.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Actually, I felt sad at Gaz's death in CoD 4. Not because it was overly tragic (but it was quite sad) but because I thought about how far away from home he was. Far from his home on some broken bridge, close to success.

Also the choice in Mass Effect. Who do you choose? It's impossible to make a choice so callously or easily unless you were prepared for it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Jack Macaque said:
Treize Khushrenada getting killed was sad in Gundam Wing, along with pretty much any death in Endless Waltz
Trieze Khushrenada, maybe the coolest politician and despot ever, and they killed him! Well, people die in war, but still...

Anyway, let's have a moment for Shinjiro Aragaki, Persona 3. Yes, the PSP version allows you to save him, but that doesn't make it any less sad.

Oh, and while we're at it, one for the old school. Phantasy Star players, hats off for Alys Brangwin.

Rawb0906

Dec 12, 2010
Rurik from Guild Wars was quite a good death as he was an awesome guy who sacrificied his life so his people could survive, a sacrifice which paid off.

I also agree with the John Marston death,I searched frantically for an alternate ending because I just didn't want him to die.

Also, "I'm ready, how 'bout you?"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjq1ZvEecRM[/youtube]