Characters that you disliked, but grew to like in the end.

Micromyni

Jan 26, 2012
I loathed Doctor Tenma from Monster. His ridiculous purity, do-gooder, preachy, "sees the good in everyone" obtuseness ground on my nerves pretty hard. But as pile on pile of shit got heaped on him from all sides I started to like the guy. By the end of the series I loved him, and he is one of my favorite "pure" characters in all media.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
I hated Hope from Final Fantasy 13, I couldn't stand Hope at first, he was whiny, bratty, annoying and had this stupid vandetta against the character Snow for killing his mother even though he was trying to save her and honestly he was probably one of the main reasons I hated final fantasy 13 as much as I did at first.
Then disc 2 comes, I couldn't stand him until around the middle of it but needless to say he really grew and matured over the second half it and came a lot more than just the cliche emo character of the group. Heck by the third disc he was the one encouraging others to do thing which is the complete"oh we can't do anything why don't we just die", "you killed my Mum you meanie i'll never forgive you" personality from the begining of the game and you feel he has really grown as a character.
Hope went from my least favorite character in FF13 to one of my favorite Final fantasy characters in general due to just how well he developed throughout the story.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Decent sized spoiler for game of thrones so be warned

Originally, Jaime Lannister was a cocky basterd, with little on his mind but his own, wants and needs. After his journey with Brienne though and the subsequent removal of his hand, Jaime appears to develop into a much stronger character, one with honour and courage who acts on the vows he has sworn and begins to treat people as a Knight should. I mean he doesn't even kill Lancel even though he knows he slept with his sister something he would have down without hesitation prior to his crippling.

Supercereal

Mar 3, 2012
Basically Jamie Lannister when he finally gets his own chapters i liked him as a character and im really looking forward to him in the next season of the show.

Sansa Stark as well and i have no idea why i just find her a lot better then when she was pissing and moaning about every little thing.

Sir Charlesalot

Aug 12, 2012
Gwen Cooper from Torchwood, now one of my favourite protagonists ever (perhaps my favourite female protagonist ever behind The Bride from Kill Bill), I was pretty indifferent to during most of the first series.

I guess it comes with her character arc: she starts off as unsure of herself as she amounts to pretty much just an audience surrogate pretty much throughout the first series, but her character builds and she has such strong resolve and knows where her loyalties lie.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
All the characters in Eureka 7.

The moment you're introduced to any of them they just come across all too cool for school, both in design and behavior. But after the 10th episode or so they finally start to develop interesting personallities, and you come to care for them quickly after that.
I still fucking hated Holland almost throught the entire series though, I only started liking him a bit more towards the end. I understand his reasons for the way he acted and all... but he was still a massive arsehole and hardly anyone tried to stop him from being one.

For the whole first half the majority of the characters annoyed me since most of them just teased, took the piss out of and abused Renton.

Battleaxx90

Jul 8, 2011
I'll admit that I didn't like Elena at the beginning of Pandora's Tower. Whoopee, a girl with a pretty face in a JRPG, a genre where they're goddamn mandatory. She isn't even that hot. Also, she was such a whiner. Why the hell am I helping her out again!?

Oh yeah, there's a zetta good reason. Well, two; the first reason being that the main character's on the run from the law for helping her out and if he abandons her, he's pretty much dead. Long story.

Second reason:

Would you rather see her looking like this?

Or THIS!?

So yeah, at first I was just playing through the game to stop her from turing into something out of HP Lovecraft, but as I continued with the game, well, there's a reason she's my most favourite love interest in video game history. Long story.

n00dle37

Aug 29, 2011
mrhappy1489 said:
Decent sized spoiler for game of thrones so be warned

Originally, Jaime Lannister was a cocky basterd, with little on his mind but his own, wants and needs. After his journey with Brienne though and the subsequent removal of his hand, Jaime appears to develop into a much stronger character, one with honour and courage who acts on the vows he has sworn and begins to treat people as a Knight should. I mean he doesn't even kill Lancel even though he knows he slept with his sister something he would have down without hesitation prior to his crippling.
Jaime was never really that bad, it's just that we only got into his head in ASOS.
He was nearly always justified in his actions. He killed Aerys because he was going to burn the ENTIRE CITY to the ground. He confronted Ned in Kings Landing because he loved his brother and Cat had taken him captive. He was cocky for sure and was very grey morally, but he was never the villain people make him out to be.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I'm going ot go a bit further as in like-notlike-like.
Kratos from Tales of Symphonia, at first I liked him, then he betrayed you and as my fav char that was just horrible, but then he came back to aid you and I liked him again xD

lukey94

Sep 2, 2008
Jaime Lannister, in Game of Thrones he was Captain ****
In Clash of Kings, he was just a bit of a douche
In Storm of Swords he started to be pretty cool and decent
and then in Feast for Crows he was my favourite character in the book

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Legion said:
Andrew Ryan was one for me. At first he was simply the bad guy trying to kill me, but as I explored Rapture I started to understand his perspective (even though I have never approved of his methods). While he is still very much a villain in the game, I like him as a villain.
I always had an hard time consider Ryan a Villain, to me he is more a man whho tried to live his dream and gor it crushed... Atlas/Fontaine was more the Villain

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Legion said:
The Tachikoma in Ghost of the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Their voices and dialogue wound me up, and even later they still did occasionally, but at the end of both seasons they show themselves to be awesome characters (can't really say why without spoilers).
NO! Not the Tachikoma's!

Similarly, I would have to say Batou. Wait, WAIT! I disliked Batou in the original Ghost in the Shell film. He's just wasn't very likeable. Too serious, and even though he had feeling for the major in it, it wasn't really elaborated enough.

But in SAC series he was dynamite. Best character in it (along with the Tachikoma's of course).

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Every single character from Battlestar Galactica except Gaius (who kept me watching until the others grew on me - some taking until the 3rd or 4th season before I finally accepted them).

Pretty much all the characters from Parks and Recreation until the second season.

Shane from The Walking Dead (and once again, pretty much the entire cast as well).

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Luke from Tales of the Abyss. I really got attached to him as the game went on. Ofcourse, it stopped when he stole money out of his parents' wardrobe - but, then it started going up when he started acting like less of a dick.

Tidus. A similiar case to Luke, but I never got over the laughing, or whiny voice-acting, but I got used to the latter.

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
Kurow in Okamiden. When I met him I first thought "oh no, another new weirdo partner character, when am I going to meet the original one again?"

Some hours later we had had many comical adventures and I found myself endeared to him.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
Casual Shinji said:
All the characters in Eureka 7.

The moment you're introduced to any of them they just come across all too cool for school, both in design and behavior. But after the 10th episode or so they finally start to develop interesting personallities, and you come to care for them quickly after that.
I still fucking hated Holland almost throught the entire series though, I only started liking him a bit more towards the end. I understand his reasons for the way he acted and all... but he was still a massive arsehole and hardly anyone tried to stop him from being one.

For the whole first half the majority of the characters annoyed me since most of them just teased, took the piss out of and abused Renton.
Yeah, but atleast it created some well needed tension on board - In the first 10 to 15 episodes it's like the writters didn't know what direction to take the show in. Everything looked all cool and swanky, but nothing interesting was really happening.

It isn't untill Eureka almost kills herself trying to return to the scab/scub coral that all these relationships start forming and real the story finally kicks off.

And Holland being an asshole gave him some character, too. Before he was just Captain Dude Man.

nexi01

Jan 31, 2012
Edl01 said:
Hope went from my least favorite character in FF13 to one of my favorite Final fantasy characters in general due to just how well he developed throughout the story.
Agree quite a bit with this. Hope had some pretty legit character development compared to the rest of the cast, it is probably why he had such a major role in XIII-2 as he was the only one that people would believe actually did something substantial with his life.

War from Darksiders, initially "generic gravel mouthed badass" but after interactions with some of the other major players in the story he actually gained some character.

Team Rocket from the original pokemon series

Daniel Jackson from SG-1, it took the better part of the first season before he started to grow on me, now he ranks up as one of my favourite characters of all time but early on... I just wanted him to shut his whinging mouth every time he was on camera. Once Jack and him started getting along, his character started fitting in properly