Characters that you disliked, but grew to like in the end.

Naranja797

Oct 3, 2011
SPOILERS
Roman from GTA 4. At first I found him really annoying, he shows up drunk, is a total pussy and does nothing but get in trouble for the first half of the game.
But then as you keep hanging out with him I grew to like him. He was optimistic and always wanted the right thing. I killed Playboy X, a character I had a bit of a liking to, just so the pad would go to Roman (though I didn't know this doesn't affect him in any way until later).
Then when you have the choice to kill Dmitri or work with him, I did as Roman asked so his life would be better (I hadn't read up on what happens if you work with Dmitri). When he was killed because of my choice I was genuinely upset and quit for a day or so.
RIP Roman Bellic. "CAAAAAASIN LETS GO BOWLING"

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
Ya the 11th doctor takes a while to get used to hes so different. I must say though Naruto. Hes such an annoying prick at the beginning and then grows up a little and makes himself out to be a pretty good hero. Then the author goes and ruins the entire story.....

Vorpal Chill

Mar 31, 2010
Biodeamon said:
three words.

Alex.
Fucking.
Mercer.

that is all, good day.
Such a badass. I'm in total agreement. Also Baird from GOW, sure he's so annoying but his humor grew on me.

Ochidi

Feb 5, 2009
I'll have to go with Kelly from Misfits.

At first, I just thought she was a trashy mean-spirited person, and I wanted the show to focus more on the other characters. But as things moved along, she started to act more like a mother figure of the group, and it was nice to see all her interactions with the other characters as well as the trials she had to go through herself throughout the show.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
n00dle37 said:
mrhappy1489 said:
Decent sized spoiler for game of thrones so be warned

Originally, Jaime Lannister was a cocky basterd, with little on his mind but his own, wants and needs. After his journey with Brienne though and the subsequent removal of his hand, Jaime appears to develop into a much stronger character, one with honour and courage who acts on the vows he has sworn and begins to treat people as a Knight should. I mean he doesn't even kill Lancel even though he knows he slept with his sister something he would have down without hesitation prior to his crippling.
Jaime was never really that bad, it's just that we only got into his head in ASOS.
He was nearly always justified in his actions. He killed Aerys because he was going to burn the ENTIRE CITY to the ground. He confronted Ned in Kings Landing because he loved his brother and Cat had taken him captive. He was cocky for sure and was very grey morally, but he was never the villain people make him out to be.
I never really thought Jaime was that bad to begin with honestly

It was just that he was really irritating. He attacked Ned even though it was pretty clear he would never do something like that, a man of honour like Ned Stark would never imprison someone without the consent of Robert, which he new he'd never do which is why Ned would never do it. Second, he was just a dick all round, until he lost his hand and realised that he wasn't invincible. He just grew so much as a person and really liked him for that, he's one of my favourite characters now.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Baldry said:
Jamie and Theon in the A song of Ice and Fire books. Jamie just seems like a twat till you get to his actual chapters where he's quite an awesome character and as for Theon I liked him at first and then he did that one thing but I think he's suffered enough now...Hell i'd forgive most dickheads after what happens to him.
I know a little of what's happening to Theon, after a certain dick shows a certain part to a certain king and I agree. Theon is a bit of a cock, then a massive throbbing dickhead, but then I kind of felt sorry for him. I mean everything he did in Winterfell was designed to impress his father and a people who didn't love him and it's actually quite tragic that he turns on the one person who ever thought highly of him.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
mrhappy1489 said:
Baldry said:
Jamie and Theon in the A song of Ice and Fire books. Jamie just seems like a twat till you get to his actual chapters where he's quite an awesome character and as for Theon I liked him at first and then he did that one thing but I think he's suffered enough now...Hell i'd forgive most dickheads after what happens to him.
I know a little of what's happening to Theon, after a certain dick shows a certain part to a certain king and I agree. Theon is a bit of a cock, then a massive throbbing dickhead, but then I kind of felt sorry for him. I mean everything he did in Winterfell was designed to impress his father and a people who didn't love him and it's actually quite tragic that he turns on the one person who ever thought highly of him.
Really it depends on what book your on, in GoT I thought he was just a cool, sarcastic character that I could relate to, then he betrayed his brother in arms and that pissed me off and then he did some more dickish things but we finally see him return in the most recent book and shit son...Do I feel sorry for him.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
The closest I can think of is Rachel from Friends, who got some good character development and broke out from her ?annoying spoilt pretty girl? stereotype.

How about the opposite? Characters that you liked, but grew to dislike in the end? Mine would be Trinity from The Matrix, who started out as a strong and badass female lead, before degenerating into a generic love interest who clinged to Neo's butt like an annoying puppy and I was thankful when she *SPOILERS* finally died.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Jeremy from Peep Show.

He really annoyed me at first, and in general really saw him as a foil for Mark. Also I identify with Mark a lot, so I guess he overshadowed Jez, who I at first saw as someone totally different from myself, for me.

Jeremy also didn't have any goals in the start that I cared about, at all.

But he grew on me, and I started to enjoy and even like him.
At first because his relationship with Nancy showed a bit different side of him, and that he wasn't always a jerk.
And that he and Mark really are friends, and Jez isn't just taking advantage of him.

Also Sasuke from Naruto.

At first I didn't care him one way or another, then I hated him, and now I take some kind of perverse pleasure in how awful a character he is.

Zerstiren

Apr 4, 2012
Master Shake. I used to hate him when the show first came out. I think it was because I thought he was a cheap knock-off of Crow from MST3K. But eventually, I grew to love him, and the deal was sealed when I met Dana Snyder on a tour he was doing with Dave Willis and the Carl stand-in. I highly recommend anyone attends their next tour; they are awesome in person.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I didn't like pinkie pie at first but she seemed to always have the same problems/ reactions as me so now she is my favourite pony.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
Snow and Hope from Final Fantasy 13. I didn't come to like them THAT much, but I was definitely surprised to like them at all considering my thoughts of them in the beginning of the game.

Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins. I initially didn't like how cold she was, but she started to feel more human as the game went on.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Relish in Chaos said:
How about the opposite? Characters that you liked, but grew to dislike in the end? Mine would be Trinity from The Matrix, who started out as a strong and badass female lead, before degenerating into a generic love interest who clinged to Neo's butt like an annoying puppy and I was thankful when she *SPOILERS* finally died.
Hmmm.

I started off liking Re-l Mayer from Ergo Proxy, but as time went on she started seeming more like a spoilt brat rather than the kick ass cop she was in the beginning. I still liked her, but found myself getting more annoyed.

Ulysses from Fallout New Vegas Lonesome Road DLC. He seemed like a cool, mysterious character with an interesting sounding secret and obsession with your character. Then he reveals what that is, and his reasoning behind it and I just thought he was an idiot.

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
Samara from Mass Effect. When I first got her she came off as a real cold-blooded character, and I hate characters like that. So when she was on board the Normandy in my first play through I never talked to her, but in a more recent play through I talked to everyone and did every dialogue and she turned out to be one of the most interesting characters in the series, to me anyway. She also turned out to be one of my most used squad members after that as well (I usually choose based on personality, I'm a terrible strategist.)

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
Luke Skywalker, oddly enough. Huge Star Wars fan, never liked the dude. Whiny, boring, dumb. But ultimately... he's the good guy. He's THE good guy. That and he didn't give up on his loved one(s).

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Dtox333 said:
The second character is Rarity from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Rarity completely surprised me. Her demeanor at first was that of the typical diva character who was all pompous but somehow remained friends with the main character, and I was not looking forward to her crap. But then the show progressed, and rarity was not at all what I expected. She was not only a very likable character, but also went beyond her stereotype, such as throwing the first punch when danger showed up, and wasn't always a damsel in distress. Her love for fashion was also a plus more than a negative, because they didn't make that her character, instead it added to her artistic expression and how much she loves to create and design, something I can relate with.
Rarity is actually my least favourite character on the show because frankly I don't think the writers know what to do with her in terms of teaching morals.

The diamond dogs episode is played up as her having hidden strengths which allows her to save herself, fine in theory but in reality she just acted like a colossal ***** until they got sick of her and threw her out.

In Sweet and Elite Twilight moves her entire party to another city just so Rarity can be there yet Rarity still spends half the time at the fancy garden party and regardless of whether or not Twilight liked the dress she still barely bothered to make that much of it because she was spending all that time on herself. Twilight even compliments Rarity for being 'such a savvy businesspony' yet Rarity never once comes clean on what she was ACTUALLY doing.

She's a moral grey area in my book. She's funny, being the only person who can say 'crime against fabulosity' with a straight face, but she is really quite selfish for being the Element of Generosity.

Personally I think Applejack got better in Season 2 (when we see her), proving very adept at knowing the full range and blind spots of 'honesty'. Plus when she was discorded she employed many forms of untruths including sarcasm, which was a nice touch.

TheLizardKing

May 4, 2012
Jesse from Breaking Bad.
At first the he annoyed me, being a junkie and always saying "yo" and "*****" but then he grew on my and i always laugh when he says things like that. Plus Aaron Paul is such a great fucking actor, he nails it perfectly.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
In History's Strongest Disciple, I didn't think much of Kenichi because he looks so generic, but even though he's the whiniest disciple in history, he can be funny at times.

The show is full of cliche's but the characters are fun to watch sometimes.