Cheapest thing a Game has done to Cheat you out of a Win

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Rylot said:
Soul Calibur 3 cheated pretty consistently with characters doing moves from completely different skill sets. You'd lose a match and win one and then get completely raped in the third match. Turned me off of fighting games pretty much forever.
moves from completely different skill sets?
I don't quite understand what you mean, like characters doing moves that the character doesn't have?

DaKiller

Jan 15, 2011
Other than EVERYTHING IN EVERY MARIO PARTY EVER, I'd have to say the cheapest thing a game did to make me lose is when I made it to the end of mission 5 on very hard in F-Zero GX without making a single mistake (you literally can't make a single mistake if you want to win this) and the door closes before I make it to the end! I don't know what happened after that but I awoke in a smoldering crater at what was once a police station.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Well, the cheapest thing...

him over there said:
The absolute worst thing any game can do is turn off or crash on you in the middle of saving for absolutely no reason.
Ok, besides New Vegas breaking...

Critical hits on your player.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Killing Floor, 2-player suicidal, the game spawned 4 (four!) Fleshpounds at the same time. It also threw in a couple of Scrakes just for fun. *****.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
mrhappy1489 said:
Volan said:
I swear the AI in Pokemon likes to cheat a lot to amp up the difficulty, Take the Elite Four, for example: if both you and your opponent's Pokemon get paralyzed or confused, they'll almost never have any issues, while you'll be too paralyzed to attack or will end up hurting yourself 90% of the time. Likewise, if they use any move that makes them better at avoiding your attacks or makes your accuracy worse, you'll almost never be able to score a hit.
I'd also like to add, when you go to a gym expecting their pokemon to be the specific type you've fought all the way through, then boom, they have some stupid pokemon that is immune or not very effected. Explain to me why clair has a fucking Kingdra so my stupid Ice pokemon are fucking useless. Also I would like to add that it is extremely annoying in the elite four as well. Seriously, why do they have pokemon using moves that are the opposite of their type, that throws strategy out the fucking window.
Apparently that's the same thing competitive players do too. If a Pokemon can learn a move through TM that works against a type that's commonly used against it, you take it. It takes a bit of thinking to realize how being dual-typed can help/hinder you against any given match-up as well. This makes the whole rock-paper-scissors deal less straightforward than "use fire against grass." I think it's clever, personally.

Goldjit

Jun 21, 2011
The rubberband effect in Burnout 3.

I can't count the amount of times I make a simple mistake after driving perfectly for almost 3 laps only to be cheated out of a win. :mad:

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Galactic Civilisations 2. I have a huge fleet of about 40 corvettes, 40 frigates, 20 cruisers and 10 transport built in preparation to dick one of the other civilisations. Bearing in mind, all of these ships were sat in the same system (or at least in systems in close proximity to each other), the game figures it's a good time to spawn Dread Lords, so spawns them it did... Right on top of my entire military force. The ensuing few turns involved me trying to draw to ship away from my fleets with a scout ship, which thankfully could outrun the overpowered monstrosity, and me trying desperately to scatter my woefully inferior ships. I was not pleased.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Mount and blade I just defeated one of the larger towns, ooh what is this kingdom of rhodoks declare war on me, oh and they havent been at war for a while so they have a 1000 man army oh ands it coming for my towns.

Luckily I managed to get peace after two towns were lost and multiple lords caputured

gostchiken

Aug 22, 2009
Not a video game example but in D&D the party and I had a hard fought battle, and those who survived came out feeling like complete badasses. Turns out it was all just a dream, we get no xp, and those who died are actually dead.
RAAAAAAGE!!!
I know DM is god, but that was fucking bullshit.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Some_weirdGuy said:
Rylot said:
Soul Calibur 3 cheated pretty consistently with characters doing moves from completely different skill sets. You'd lose a match and win one and then get completely raped in the third match. Turned me off of fighting games pretty much forever.
moves from completely different skill sets?
I don't quite understand what you mean, like characters doing moves that the character doesn't have?
Yeah, characters could, in a pinch, do moves that they shouldn't have access to.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Cheapest thing ever was in Op Flashpoint (360) had to kill guys in a building at an airport. All the time sneaking, skirting around the long way. Approached a window, enemy doesnt see me....have them dead centre and "bang bang bang" every shot hits the window sill even though the cross hairs are no where near the window sill. Enemy turns and shoots me dead.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
The cheapest thing in gaming to exist is insane backtracking. The cheapest thing in gaming to cheat you out of a singleplayer experience is the game freezes before you saved. The cheapest thing in multiplayer? The list is too long...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Racing games - why is it that any time you clip another car or they clip you you always end up spinning 180 degrees? Hate that.

Beat em ups - Enemys that block everything. Hate that. Only one i remember is MK1, damn boss blocked 99% of your moves. So much for learning the move set of your chosen character.

Actually, any game where the boss is impervious to all your skill. Whether beat em ups or rpgs. Mostly rpgs where bosses are immune to everything you have even though you have spent many hours grinding, upgrading and improving your skills.

Yeah, its meant to make the game harder, but its just cheap.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I've always hated the boss sequences in Kingdom Hearts 2, especially the final boss sequence. KH2 got into all these quick time sequence things, where you have to press triangle or whatever designated control in order to do some special, scripted supermove you just pulled out of your ass. I lost the last stage of the last boss because as I was fighting, there came a point where it asked me to press triangle as fast as I could in order to "deflect" a bunch of little lasers coming at me, and since I wasn't ready for this I couldn't get my finger into the optimum button mashing position and I died.

Really, Square? REALLY? The final test of all the levelling I've done, the abilities I've learned, the strategies I've put together, and the items and equipment I've accumulated comes down to how fast I can mash the fucking triangle button? Well fuck you, too.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Oh also the re-releases for the Kingdom Hearts games that will only be in Japan. They could have a bunch more money, but nooooo. Fuck 'em. Assholes T-T (Even though I will continue to buy the games, hell I am weak!)

How much would it hurt them to release a DLC pack for about 20 USD or hell, the entire game in Final Mix version for 50 bucks? It wouldn't! They would please the fans (and quell the anger from the wait for KH3) and we would get our awesome games. KH2 FM+ had the largest do-over (hell adding a good 15+ bosses alone) and what do we get? Just RE: Chain of Memories...
THIS.
Just aaaargh. I'm in Britain, so I didn't even get RE: CoM!

Surpheal

Jan 23, 2012
ParanoidEngineer said:
Huh, never struggled with that game.

Anyway, in Fallout: New Vegas, I was vilified with the NCR, so the Rangers did their "y'all better give us some pressies or we shoot yo ass". Then, three days later, I was leaving a mine with no Stimpaks, low health, and little ammo in my best guns (lovely lovely Deathclaws), and they showed up. They shot me. I respawned outside the cave. I couldn't fast travel because they blocked it, and couldn't run away because they were faster.
I had something like this happen to me, though sort of different. Came across the first town in which the legion decided to display their love of history, and I decided to go inside of the town hall. The legion had already left, but must have forgotten to take a few of their little dogs with them. So I clear out the building and skip town only to be greeted by some of Caesars mates. Apparently I had killed Caesars absolute favorite dogs about a town ago.

All I can say is that the grenade rifle from the mercenaries pack saved my ass in that one

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Volan said:
I swear the AI in Pokemon likes to cheat a lot to amp up the difficulty, Take the Elite Four, for example: if both you and your opponent's Pokemon get paralyzed or confused, they'll almost never have any issues, while you'll be too paralyzed to attack or will end up hurting yourself 90% of the time. Likewise, if they use any move that makes them better at avoiding your attacks or makes your accuracy worse, you'll almost never be able to score a hit.
Goddamn Zubat!

OT: Yeah, Pokemon.

Confusion: My Pokemon make themselves faint because they can't score a hit on the opponent while confused, while the opponent never hits itself. Assuming it even gets confused in the first place.

Doubleslap/Fury Swipes/Whatever else has the same effect: Whenever I use it, it hits twice and then ends. Whenever the enemy uses it, it hits five times and usually the first hit is a critical strike.

Hypnosis: Mine has about a 30% chance to actually hit, while the opponents always makes my Pokemon fall asleep. And then my Pokemon stays asleep for about five turns if I don't wake it back up.

Paralysis: I don't even know if I can convey how cheap this is. I've had a Pikachu get paralyzed by Thunder Wave before. That shouldn't even be possible.

Also, I've recently finally begun playing Black&White and I have the say that the Pokemon stats have either been artificially boosted since the last games or the AI is even more of a cheating bastard than before, because it always seems like my Pokemon can be fainted in two or three hits while if I don't use Leer a ton of times, every enemy I face only takes five points of damage from attacks that are Super Effective.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Sly Cooper.
Enjoy the platforming, didja? Well, in order to get back to it, you have to beat this minigame. Oh, and there's barely enough time on the clock to win if you never flub up. If you miss? Even once? Sorry, man, try again.
I swear, even the voodoo alligator QTE-fest was a holiday compared to those.

Timmyo00

Dec 15, 2010
A bit of a weird game to point out but meh

Smackdown vs Raw - 2011
Ray's Evil story line, a bit into the match I hit my first finisher and the count stops at 2, "Ah so I have to wait for something to happen... just in case..." *Finisher,Kickout,Finisher,kickout* This continued for about 30 mins before I said "Screw this If I lose I lose now" Ran out hit him with a chair, DQ.
-Match Failed-
Tough it out and 45 mins in while he is getting his ass handed to him, someone finaly comes down, to hit him with a chair, DQ... thanks game

Or on a diffrent story line some runs down, distracts the ref, chair I need to be hit with to lock me onto the ground and not kick out. I say no to the game, somehow reverse the chair 3 or 4 times getting a 2 count each time before he hits me and I am not aloud to kick out... thanks game.

Halo:Reach
Cheap over cheat, The AI: "How do I drive car? maybe this cliff can help"

Minecraft
'You can totaly make that jump bro'

MGS3
"Whats this thing in the grass I can't see? OH HIA SNAKE" (alarm)

And no Saints Row 3 mentioning the aim bot everyone with a gun in that game has? (even on easy :I)
If you have the game and don't know what I mean, get a heli and a few cops pissed.

TF2
Autobalenced with an uber? Nah, Uber (or ubered by a medic)
Charge in as soldier/heavy
'hl2.exe stopped working'
I know people have this problem with the .exe but my game has Only ever crashed during an uber

All I got for now