Cheat Codes: what happened and do you care?

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
WeepingAngels said:
Sorry, they didn't stop selling cheat devices because they thought that no one needed them. They stopped because they could just be patched out and it becomes a game of cat and mouse game keeping them updated.
You're confusing cheat devices with cheat codes. As you seem to be aware, a cheat device is a piece of hardware made by a third party to exploit the game. Cheat codes, which are being discussed here, are hidden gameplay features added by the developers of a game, usually requiring a written code or sequence of controller inputs to be enacted before they can be accessed. These are called cheat codes because they often change gameplay to be easier, rather than actually abusing the game.

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
External cheats (Gameshark, Action Replay, Game Genie) went away because of two things:

- Online consoles (they can patch out cheat devices)
- Achievements

I think of unlockables as unlockables, not cheats but I can see the other side of the argument too.
Fuck 'em! I still use my Action Replay for my old PS2 games and my gameshark for PS1 and Xbox. I love cheat codes, there's nothing more fun than dicking around in a game (once you've beaten it of course) with cheats on.

Saints row 3 will forever be in my top 5 games of this generation because it had the cheat codes you can enter.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Moloch Sacrifice said:
WeepingAngels said:
Sorry, they didn't stop selling cheat devices because they thought that no one needed them. They stopped because they could just be patched out and it becomes a game of cat and mouse game keeping them updated.
You're confusing cheat devices with cheat codes. As you seem to be aware, a cheat device is a piece of hardware made by a third party to exploit the game. Cheat codes, which are being discussed here, are hidden gameplay features added by the developers of a game, usually requiring a written code or sequence of controller inputs to be enacted before they can be accessed. These are called cheat codes because they often change gameplay to be easier, rather than actually abusing the game.
Maybe you missed where I talked about the difference between the two. I am not confusing anything.

As far as I am concerned OFFICIAL CHEATS are the ones the devs intended for you to have. While cheat devices let you do things the devs didn't intend (walking through walls, playing debug levels, etc...). Unlockables may act like cheat codes but I don't see them that way because you have to work to unlock them, much in the same way you would "unlock" level 99 during normal gameplay. A cheat is an instant, free advantage/disadvantage.

Now, does that convince you that I am not confused about what cheat codes are?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
kyuzo3567 said:
WeepingAngels said:
External cheats (Gameshark, Action Replay, Game Genie) went away because of two things:

- Online consoles (they can patch out cheat devices)
- Achievements

I think of unlockables as unlockables, not cheats but I can see the other side of the argument too.
Fuck 'em! I still use my Action Replay for my old PS2 games and my gameshark for PS1 and Xbox. I love cheat codes, there's nothing more fun than dicking around in a game (once you've beaten it of course) with cheats on.

Saints row 3 will forever be in my top 5 games of this generation because it had the cheat codes you can enter.
I use a hex editor to alter save states which is what a cheat device does in realtime. Good stuff.

Gronk

Jun 24, 2013
Haven't read all the posts, but:

I miss cheat codes. I like that you can "fast forward" through a game if it gets too boring and you just want to see what happens at the end. Imagine buying a dvd or a book and not have the option to fast forward/skip ahead. Bleh.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Also add trainers to the list since CH has pretty much made a monopoly over the trainers.

But yeah, cheat codes were a fun part of the past and I don't care what some people says.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Yarkaz said:
Seems to be a lot of debate about whether people "need" cheats or not these days. Has anyone here ever needed cheats?
I used them in Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines. I could never get past mission 4 or 5 without them.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Cheats take away any sense of challenge and therefor any sense of accomplishment if you ask me. What's the point of beating the main boss if he couldn't even damage you in the first place? I honestly can't understand why people would want to cheat, in single player or multiplayer. Where's the fun in knowing that absolutely nothing stands a chance against you? "It's lonely at the top", and I'd say even more lonely when you got there by cheating. For starters: no one will want to play with you if you're a cheater, but also you didn't earn your way to the top. It's a hollow victory in every sense of the word.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
4RM3D said:
I was browsing a few achievements (for Duke Nukem 3D) when I noticed an achievement for using a cheat code. Then it hit me, I haven't played a game recently that had cheat codes. In the past a lot of games (well, mostly shooters) had cheat codes. But now you don't see them anymore.

Still, one could argue that custom mods could be considered cheating, if those mods affect gameplay.

If cheat codes are available, do you use them?
Do you think custom mods is considered cheating, if it affects the gameplay (other than making it more difficult)?
Erm, Fallout and Skyrim don't count? Admittedly the cheats are PC only.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Cheats take away any sense of challenge and therefor any sense of accomplishment if you ask me. What's the point of beating the main boss if he couldn't even damage you in the first place? I honestly can't understand why people would want to cheat, in single player or multiplayer. Where's the fun in knowing that absolutely nothing stands a chance against you? "It's lonely at the top", and I'd say even more lonely when you got there by cheating. For starters: no one will want to play with you if you're a cheater, but also you didn't earn your way to the top. It's a hollow victory in every sense of the word.
Cheats shouldn't be used in multiplayer mode unless both players are using the same cheats. It is a shame though that you were forced to use cheats in the past. I think they should be optional.

Don't you?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Claymored said:
I don't, never cared to use cheats. Except entering the Konami Code in Contra to get extra 30 lives.
Using a cheat device, you can get more than that. Possibly up to 255 considering it's likely only using one byte.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I would have preferred devs made a disclaimer or some sort of functionality that disables achievements so you can use codes (I know some devs have done this, mind).

I still don't get achievements. As far as I am concerned, I play a game, I complete it, job done.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
RJ 17 said:
Cheats shouldn't be used in multiplayer mode unless both players are using the same cheats. It is a shame though that you were forced to use cheats in the past. I think they should be optional.

Don't you?
I never used cheats in the past...as I said: I think it's completely pointless and takes all the fun out of a game. :p

I suppose they could be optional for single player...but even so: just as actually beating the other player in pvp without cheating gives you a sense of accomplishment and an earned victory, the same applies with single player. If you beat a game by cheating it's still a hollow victory since you didn't really beat the game...you just kinda walked through it.

My point is that cheating removes the challenge from a game, and if you remove the challenge from a game then you remove all purpose for playing that game.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
RJ 17 said:
WeepingAngels said:
RJ 17 said:

Don't you?
I never used cheats in the past...as I said: I think it's completely pointless and takes all the fun out of a game. :p

I suppose they could be optional for single player...but even so: just as actually beating the other player in pvp without cheating gives you a sense of accomplishment and an earned victory, the same applies with single player. If you beat a game by cheating it's still a hollow victory since you didn't really beat the game...you just kinda walked through it.

My point is that cheating removes the challenge from a game, and if you remove the challenge from a game then you remove all purpose for playing that game.
You sure know alot about cheats even though you've never used them. You seem to think that everyone thinks just like you. Some people just want to get to the end of the game without too much trouble. Some people already beat it and want to use cheats to mess around. Some people want to play around with test rooms and unused assets.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
RJ 17 said:
WeepingAngels said:
RJ 17 said:

Don't you?

You sure know alot about cheats even though you've never used them. You seem to think that everyone thinks just like you. Some people just want to get to the end of the game without too much trouble. Some people already beat it and want to use cheats to mess around. Some people want to play around with test rooms and unused assets.
And what makes you think I know a lot about cheat codes? Just because I'm expressing what I think about them and why I feel that way? Thanks for judging me as harshly as you're passively-aggressively suggesting I'm judging cheaters.

Here's all I've said in this topic: "I don't like cheat codes because I see no point to them. For me, it takes out the entire purpose of the game." Notice the bit where I say "if you ask me" in my original post? That's me implying "This is my opinion". Did I ever once say "Everyone must agree with my opinion on this matter"? Did I ever say "All cheaters are losers"? No, I said "I don't see the purpose to it because it takes all the fun out of the game for me." If it doesn't for you, cool-beans. Cheat all you want, I really couldn't care less. But for me a game isn't worthy playing if it's not challenging.

You seem to be confusing my expressing my own opinion on the topic as me implying that everyone must agree with my opinion or that my opinion is somehow more valid than anyone else's...that's not the case. The topic asks
Do you think custom mods is considered cheating, if it affects the gameplay (other than making it more difficult)?
I gave my answer and my reasoning behind my answer, nothing more.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
RJ 17 said:
WeepingAngels said:
RJ 17 said:
WeepingAngels said:
RJ 17 said:

Don't you?

And what makes you think I know a lot about cheat codes? Just because I'm expressing what I think about them and why I feel that way? Thanks for judging me as harshly as you're passively-aggressively suggesting I'm judging cheaters.

Here's all I've said in this topic: "I don't like cheat codes because I see no point to them. For me, it takes out the entire purpose of the game." Notice the bit where I say "if you ask me" in my original post? That's me implying "This is my opinion". Did I ever once say "Everyone must agree with my opinion on this matter"? Did I ever say "All cheaters are losers"? No, I said "I don't see the purpose to it because it takes all the fun out of the game for me." If it doesn't for you, cool-beans. Cheat all you want, I really couldn't care less. But for me a game isn't worthy playing if it's not challenging.

You seem to be confusing my expressing my own opinion on the topic as me implying that everyone must agree with my opinion or that my opinion is somehow more valid than anyone else's...that's not the case. The topic asks
Let me refer you to this paragraph:

Now here you seem to be saying that if I beat a game by cheating, then it will be a hollow victory. Well, how do you know that I would find it a hollow victory?

Clearly your scope isn't limited to you.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Requia said:
Erm, Fallout and Skyrim don't count? Admittedly the cheats are PC only.
I'm missing your point. Your statement is kinda ambiguous. What about Fallout and Skyrim? Care to elaborate?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
RJ 17 said:
WeepingAngels said:
RJ 17 said:
WeepingAngels said:
RJ 17 said:

Don't you?

Let me refer you to this paragraph:

Now here you seem to be saying that if I beat a game by cheating, then it will be a hollow victory. Well, how do you know that I would find it a hollow victory?

Clearly your scope isn't limited to you.
My friend, clearly you've been misreading my posts since this little game began and I'm growing tired of repeating myself. One last attempt at a lesson in Reading Comprehension and then I wash my hands of this:

The bit you quoted for reference? That was a reiteration of my opinion. As expressed previously, I find cheating to be a hollow victory. If you were to come up to me and say "I just beat Duke Nukem 3D with the cheat codes!" I'd say "Well la-dee-frickin'-dah." Your accomplishment would mean nothing to me, sorry if you feel hurt by that. Does that take away from your own personal feelings towards what you did? Does my opinion in any way detract from your personal enjoyment of using cheat codes? If it does, then I dare say you care way too much about the opinions of others, especially the opinions of random jackasses on the internet such as myself.