Check Out The Escapist Awards 2015 Winners

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
1,559
0
0
What a bizarre selection of categories. I like how games like Rocket League, Project CARS, and Super Mario Maker (my personal fave of 2015) are effectively disqualified simply because they don't fit into any of the oddly-specific categories.

P.S. Thanks
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,120
702
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
Hate to be "that guy," but I can't help but notice that there's a category for "best RPG" and "best open world," yet both Fallout 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles X are both RPGs also. I remember a debate awhile ago that Bethesda's games (Fallout/Elder Scrolls) weren't RPGs at all, but rather sandbox games with RPG elements.

I guess while I'm here I'll nominate Halo 5 for best FPS, Heroes of the Storm for best ARTS (or MOBA, or hero brawler, or whatever), and reflect that at some point I've got to try Grey Goo.
 

BX3

New member
Mar 7, 2011
659
0
0
Covarr said:
What a bizarre selection of categories. I like how games like Rocket League, Project CARS, and Super Mario Maker (my personal fave of 2015) are effectively disqualified simply because they don't fit into any of the oddly-specific categories.

P.S. Thanks
Oh, cool, so I wasn't the only one. Good to know that it was apparently so weird that the first commenter brought it up.

No best platformer, no best puzzle, best racer, best fighter, best indie, best shooter, best new IP, nothin'. Does this come in multiple parts or something?
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,871
916
118
Country
Argentina
Having seen Yahtzee's tremendously glitchy run through Ark Survival, I'm shocked to see the game win "Best Early Access", of all things.
 

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
2,307
0
0
If people missed it, the Reader's Choice GOTY is going on right now: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.932095-Poll-Vote-for-the-Readers-Choice-GOTY-for-2015

Johnny Novgorod said:
Having seen Yahtzee's tremendously glitchy run through Ark Survival, I'm shocked to see the game win "Best Early Access", of all things.
I think that says a lot about the state of Early Access titles more than it does about ARK.
 

2xDouble

New member
Mar 15, 2010
2,310
0
0
Once again, Undertale gets snubbed.

Somebody must've had a bad time. #getdunkedon
 

Guffe

New member
Jul 12, 2009
5,106
0
0
Hawki said:
I guess while I'm here I'll nominate Halo 5 for best FPS, Heroes of the Storm for best ARTS (or MOBA, or hero brawler, or whatever), and reflect that at some point I've got to try Grey Goo.
Yeah, quite a few categories missing.
I send Splat00n into the shooter cathegory

Then I have really enjoyed MarioMaker... just no idea what sort of game that is... puzzleplatformer?
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,871
916
118
Country
Argentina
vallorn said:
If people missed it, the Reader's Choice GOTY is going on right now: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.932095-Poll-Vote-for-the-Readers-Choice-GOTY-for-2015

Johnny Novgorod said:
Having seen Yahtzee's tremendously glitchy run through Ark Survival, I'm shocked to see the game win "Best Early Access", of all things.
I think that says a lot about the state of Early Access titles more than it does about ARK.
If it does, then the award should be renamed "Less Shitty Early Access".
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,871
916
118
Country
Argentina
Guffe said:
Hawki said:
I guess while I'm here I'll nominate Halo 5 for best FPS, Heroes of the Storm for best ARTS (or MOBA, or hero brawler, or whatever), and reflect that at some point I've got to try Grey Goo.
Yeah, quite a few categories missing.
I send Splat00n into the shooter cathegory

Then I have really enjoyed MarioMaker... just no idea what sort of game that is... puzzleplatformer?
Development tool kit, more like.
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
Still haven't figured out or bothered to embed a link to the comment section in these kinds of list articles? At least the ones commenting here are the ones who figured out how to side-step that.

Regarding Ark Survival. Those games always excite me until I realize that they're just a race against other people. Rust really showed how dickish random players can be and how hard it is to stop cheaters. I would love a game like this that was legitimately single player. Minecraft was cute and all, but so far it's the closest thing that came to what I actually want. But maybe I'm one of the few people who don't like playing with people in any scenario where random people can kill me without any kind of attempt at a level playing field.
 

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
4,815
0
0
Johnny Novgorod said:
Guffe said:
Hawki said:
I guess while I'm here I'll nominate Halo 5 for best FPS, Heroes of the Storm for best ARTS (or MOBA, or hero brawler, or whatever), and reflect that at some point I've got to try Grey Goo.
Yeah, quite a few categories missing.
I send Splat00n into the shooter cathegory

Then I have really enjoyed MarioMaker... just no idea what sort of game that is... puzzleplatformer?
Development tool kit, more like.
I'm baffled so many people are praising what is essentially an official GECK for games that have the strongest ROM hack base I've ever seen. I also heard they used the NSMB engine for everything but I could have heard wrong. I certainly hope so.

OT: Just Cause 3 came out. That wasn't enough to compete with Fallout 4? I'm pretty sure the reason I'm so cut up about F4 is because I don't hate it because I think Fallout is a bad series. I hate it because it's terrible in comparison to 3 and NV.
 

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
1,559
0
0
EHKOS said:
I also heard they used the NSMB engine for everything but I could have heard wrong. I certainly hope so.
It's based on the NSMBU engine, but with some changes. Unfortunately, all the games have NSMBU physics (apparently switching back and forth based on game style was causing trouble for players in testing), but beyond that it's pretty solid. NSMBU already had much less floaty physics than previous NSMB games, so that's really not a huge problem from what I've played.

P.S. Thanks