Check Out World of Warcraft's Updated Player Models

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I like the new Forsaken models. though I wonder how/if they're going to tackle the new facial expressions on a race that has the option to be missing major parts of their facial structure.

As for "Why waste time updating this stuff on WoW and just release WoW 2 instead."

I think it's safe to assume Blizzard is working on a sequel of some sort already. A lot of the updates that have been made to the game since Cataclysm seem like testing the waters to see what does and doesn't work while building up a new MMO.
As the new x-packs have come out and have been slightly more graphics intensive, updating player character models is a good way to field test the graphical limitations of their player base.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
AldUK said:
All of the comments here talking about WoW 2 might want to look into a little project known as "Project Titan." That's Blizzard's next MMO. We may still see a WoW 2, but if it comes, I predict we won't see it until long into Titan's lifespan. (Likely, not at all.)
They specifically said that Titan was NOT a WoW or StarCraft MMORPG.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Because everyone wanted Orc fanservice.

And any character with a Y chromosome is still smuggling bowling balls whereve they go.. God, I love Wow's art style.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I'm beyond excited for these new models. Dwarves look amazing and those female gnomes are so cute. Definitely making a F gnome mage when the expansion hits :p

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I wonder if they're going to un-nerf the Draenei female boobies.

Remember those sweater-kittens at Burning Crusade launch? If she turned too quickly she could knock herself out.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
amaranth_dru said:
Liking the Tauren reskins
I for one dislike them immensely. I'm an angry tauren, not some dopey docile walking hamburger.
Never mind that Blizzard are killing my guild off because we dared raid 10-man heroics, but that's another story.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
amaranth_dru said:
Liking the Tauren reskins
I for one dislike them immensely. I'm an angry tauren, not some dopey docile walking hamburger.
Never mind that Blizzard are killing my guild off because we dared raid 10-man heroics, but that's another story.
Obviously every single tauren is going to look docile and dopey with the same face texture, right? :p COME ON.

OT:
Saw it. Excited. I want my prettier BEs.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
michael87cn said:
AldUK said:
All of the comments here talking about WoW 2 might want to look into a little project known as "Project Titan." That's Blizzard's next MMO. We may still see a WoW 2, but if it comes, I predict we won't see it until long into Titan's lifespan. (Likely, not at all.)
They specifically said that Titan was NOT a WoW or StarCraft MMORPG.
I am aware of that. But that has nothing to do with my post, which simply states that Blizzard are working on another MMO right now, so there is little chance of a direct sequel to WoW, aka WoW 2. As was being discussed.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
The new models look nice; but let us see the update Human, Night Elf and blood Elf females already.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Oskuro said:
Steven Bogos said:
why they don't just start from scratch with WoW 2 or something?
If they can incrementally upgrade the engine and content, why would they need to publish an entirely new game?

People who keep wondering when "WoW 2" will come out should realize each expansion has pretty much been sequel. Everything from the graphics engine (much more graphics intensive now than at launch) to the gameplay and content has been overhauled gradually over time.

I haven't really player WoW since shortly before Cataclysm, but if there's one thing I've always though about a well-managed MMO, is that it shouldn't really need to launch sequels. Why ask the established player base to leave their game-world behind for a new iteration, when you can just expand said world?

It has happened before, for example, people still play the original Everquest (which still gets expansions) despite the launch of Everquest 2.

And the usual reason for launching sequels, namely attracting new players or bringing back old ones... Expansions already do that (hence why there's another one on the way).

The dwindling popularity of WoW seems more like brand exhaustion, and a sequel wouldn't do much to help. That's why I suspect Blizzard is working on a new brand for their next big MMO, and if they ever release a WoW2, it'd probably be when said new project starts dwindling in popularity.

But Blizzard is merged with Activision now, so maybe they'll just shove a WoW2 down our throats after all, and discover if the actual wow-killer would be the sequel.... Or not (It'd be delightfully ironic to have WoW2 go free-to-play after being unable to defeat WoW itself :p)
Titan will be the spiritual successor of WoW, yes. And as proof that they aren't just half assing it because they're soulless or activison (which is some of the accusations in the diablo 3 thread), they've already scratched everything on Titan to start anew because they didn't feel it was up to Blizzard standards. They want to make a good game and take their time rather than bring it out as quickly as possible to lower expenses. If that doesn't prove that blizzard is still worthy as one of the best AAA gaming companies still out there, I'm not sure what will.

edit: When I say spiritual successor, I mean it in the way that its what they will keep most of their focus on after launching. The game itself will have nothing to do with WoW lore or universe.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Blaine Houle said:
And yet they leave some of the most hideous character models completely untouched. They have not seemed to show the human models, which compared to all but the dwarves, is hideous.
They're working on all of them you clod. This is just what is currently presentable.

And the image doesn't do the work justice, you have to see them animated to really understand just how much effort has been put into making them flow and move more naturally.

It's astounding to look at. And the gnome female facial expressions are excellent.

WoW's visual style is a very different pond from 'other MMO's' with hyper beautiful standardized modeling. The charm is in the cartoony characterization and I think these updates have nailed it. There's so much more they can no do with story telling and fun extras now that the models can all be rigged to react and emote more clearly.

ALL MODELS FROM VANILLA TO BC ARE TO BE UPDATED. IT TAKES ALOT OF WORK. (Trust me)
Human
Dwarf
Gnome
Night Elf
Draenai
Orc
Forsaken
Tauren
Troll
Blood Elf

...Time that by 2, for 2 genders. The increase in bones and gon' count is large. But worth it.
StraightToHeck said:
remember: more polygons means more emoshuns
Hahaha. It does if it's an update from 2004 to now. :p
And if the polygons are used correctly, which if you look above, is absolutely the case.
Check out dat emoting baby.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Beardless dwarf women?! Sure we're going to make them look a little slimmer and sexier, but no facial hair? OUTRAGEOUS!

If you need me I'll be in the angry dome.