Check Your Privilege!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Deadcyde said:
30 out of a hundred.

Guess being white, straight and male doesn't pay off as much as it should. Not that any self respecting feminist would think that means a jot compared to women's issues. Clearly because I'm a man I should have used some sort of masculine magic to change that score. One of the questions was even "are you a man?".

*rolls eyes*

I blame myself for falling for this clickbait
oh don't start please...privilege does not mean free ice cream and mercedes for the chosen few..its not zero sum...its cross sectional

I am female, men have certain privileges I do not
I am white, I have certain privileges other ethnicities do not
I am from a good income family I have certain privileges poor people do not
I Identify as female I have certain privileges trans people do not
I am straight I have certain privileges Gay people do not

make sense?

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
I'm a white, straight male and I got a 48/100 even though I answered 100% honestly. I'm quite surprised, but I guess this just goes to show "privilege" is not secret Tumblr code for "bias against straight white dudes."

Naturally, I'm oh-so shocked by that fact.
Ha! I got 49. I am precisely 1/100th more white and straight than you!

Still, the format bugged me. Switching from 'I have' to 'I have never' questions was irritating, and there were *a lot* of questions there which probably artificially messed with my score - it's probably lower than it should be. I didn't grow up in a particularly financially privileged environment, but my schooling was decent, I'm not in any significantly discriminated demographic, and I'm doing ok on my current salary.
Responding to the following kind of thing without allowing for context was rather imprecise:
"I've never had a roommate" (room sharing in college is very rare in the UK, having an individual room isn't an indicator of particular affluence)
"I am comfortable with PDA with my significant other" (it makes me uncomfortable, but not because of my gender identity or whatever. I suspect that even the phrase 'PDA' has more negative connotation in the UK than the US)
"I have never been told I sound white" (I am white, but when I was in a callcenter you used quite regularly to get slightly racist elderly people saying 'Oh thank god, I'm through to a white person not an indian!'.

Perhaps I should have been a little more interpretive in my answers...

lawrencein

Nov 20, 2009
"You live with 24 out of 100 points of privilege.

You?re underprivileged. The world is not a fair or ideal place and you know that because you grew up with several identities that the world is not kind to. You had a lot of challenges to overcome simply to get on a level playing field with most people in the world. It is not your job to educate the world about its injustices, but if you choose to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help."

Straight White Male here. There are some very strange questions here like "Has anyone ever asked if your hair was real/if they could touch it?" Well yeah because I'm a dude who had the longest hair in my school out of everyone there Male or Female, apparently this means I am unprivileged.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
41/100

You?re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You?ve had your fair share of struggles, and you?ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way.
Sounds about right I 'spose.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Smilomaniac said:
San Fransisco
wot.

You...You do know you don't magically get more rights for being in San Fran, right? You're still subject to federal laws, for example.

Gays in San Fransisco still get a lot of shit from the overall community and the same is true of other areas in the US with large gay communities, so I don't know where you're getting your info, but it's not based in reality.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
81/100 "You are the most privileged"

Huh. I guess when you look at it, I am pretty privileged. Expected it to be lower though due to ethnicity.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Deadcyde said:
30 out of a hundred.

Guess being white, straight and male doesn't pay off as much as it should. Not that any self respecting feminist would think that means a jot compared to women's issues. Clearly because I'm a man I should have used some sort of masculine magic to change that score. One of the questions was even "are you a man?".

*rolls eyes*

I blame myself for falling for this clickbait
I'm curious as to where that rant came from. It seems at best tangentially related to the "quiz." So...One question asked if you were a man and it's OMG FEMINISM? That doesn't track. One says "I am white." You may have noticed it. IT's the first one.

So...Ummmm...Yeah?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Smilomaniac said:
No, it doesn't make sense, because these are heavily cultural viewpoints that change according to where you are. If you're gay in Copenhagen or San Fransisco, chances are that you're being treated better for it and literally celebrated.
yeah in those pockets, in other areas (and other parts of the world but assuming this test was more meant for america) Gays are hated at best (not to mention wierd misconceptions about what they are like as people and what they do in the bedroom) and victimized at worst.They still can't marry either in some states (certainly not in my country).That aside we also live in a world where everyone is assumed straight until otherwise, where popular media caters to hetero romance and (at worst) stereotypes gay people (though that is getting better) and where coming out can be hazardous to ones health, a gay person in San Fran may be lucky enough to not experience any of this but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen and isn't a problem

[quote/]If you're rich here, you're most likely a douchebag because you probably think you're better than everyone else, so much that some people feel forced to hide their status.[/quote]

oh god...wont someone think of the poor rich people....

really? surely you can grasp the IMMENSE advantage being rich has in ones life? the private schools, the financial security, the opportunities to do SO many things, it doesn't matter how nice you are nor does it mean a rich person is an asshole... people having the misconception that you are an asshole does not cancel that out, nor (quite frankly) will you ever convince me its the same as being poor ...hell "I" can understand it

[quote/]As for gender... If you think being male automatically grants you superior status no matter where or who you are, then you're sorely mistaken.[/quote]

having privileges does not mean superior status (nor YOUR life being a free ride)...it means there are certain things statistically you're less likely to encounter, same with the gay example

I KNOW that because I am White and not say...Indigenous Australian I'm less likely to have people make snap negative judgments about me, I'm less likely to have people move to the other side of the street if its dark out, I'm more likely to come from a better socio economic background, more likely to do better in school, more likely to have better job prospects, more likely to come from a stable home.

Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm curious as to where that rant came from. It seems at best tangentially related to the "quiz." So...One question asked if you were a man and it's OMG FEMINISM? That doesn't track. One says "I am white." You may have noticed it. IT's the first one.

So...Ummmm...Yeah?
the Feminists man..theyre everywhere

...I hear everytime you say something against Feminists they break into your house while your away and lick all your stuff 0_0

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
White male here, with a 39/100.

You?re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You?ve had your fair share of struggles, and you?ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

Pretty accurate, grew up in east Baltimore (where, being white, I *was* a minority who had to be careful) worked my butt off to get where I am, and I still have a lot of work to do.

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
38/100 white male and not privileged

Although some of the questions are hard to answer as i don't really have religion i associate with, think mostly growing up with parents having money worries helps however, gives me a better perspective on the world. Even if that perspective is that it sucks and is made so the rich get richer while everyone else suffers!

But I'll use this next time someone shouts at me to check my privilege

"I have done, the internet says I'm not!"

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
I'm a bit miffed that some stuff is very specific to American culture. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone that was told that he "sounds white", and I don't understand why that would be bad if you are from a group that legitimately has, because of biology, a different average height of voice.
Also, public transportation seems to suck much, much more in America. I wouldn't want a car even if I had the money.
Lot's of other smaller stuff isn't quite phrased right, it completely ignores the possibility of atheism, meaning that some questions can either be answered "technically true" or "true to the intent of the quiz".

On the other hand, it's just a quiz on the internet, so this is just nitpicking for the sake of it.

(EDIT: Especially "doing taxes". It seems so dreaded in American culture, but I still don't quite understand why and how that works?)

EDIT 2: Electric Boogaloo: Looking at more of the questions, it's INCREDIBLY specific. Saellie Mae? Not being able to afford medication, colleges and highschools...

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
rutger5000 said:
Yet that's exactly how it works. The human digest system is a funny thing. The energy in those chips is pure fat, and will be very effectively be transformed in your own fat. The energy in those 7 pieces of fruit is in natural sugars. They converted to bodily sugar if your body is low on them, or simply pass through your body if they don't.
But perhaps there's a cultural-economics difference here. I've had American orange juice (basically liquid sugar), chicken (2 words hormones and antibiotics, don't eat them) and bread (O my f*cking God, I wouldn't even eat that again if I was paid for it). Yet you consider this as healthy, quality food. If that is what passes for healthy food in America, than I suppose there is a case to be made for quantity over quality.
That's only true if you're taking some sort of medication to force everything through you quickly or you have a digestive disease that prevents you from adequately absorbing fructose. The body simply passing fructose through your body would actually lead to lactose intolerance-like symptoms as the bacteria in your digestive tract now has something to feast on that isn't getting absorbed. Not to mention it would mean traditional sodas would no longer make you fat as their primary sweetener is fructose based(high fructose corn syrup)[footnote]Or, to be more accurate, is fructose and glucose based with the glucose being used to make additional fructose.[/footnote]. Your liver will break down and absorb all the fructose you take in[footnote]and fructose toxicity can occur if too much fructose is taken in, though it's much harder to reach that threshold if your source of fructose is natural and not from sodas and juices[/footnote] and if it has to break down more than you need, it gets turned into fat.

Though like a disclaimer, I feel the need to tack on that it is less likely to happen if the fructose is coming from something like an apple, where it has more time to digest, than a soda or a juice(juice actually isn't that great for you if you're trying to lose weight, though a little bit better for you than soda).

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
tangoprime said:
White male here, with a 39/100.

You?re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You?ve had your fair share of struggles, and you?ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

Pretty accurate, grew up in east Baltimore (where, being white, I *was* a minority who had to be careful) worked my butt off to get where I am, and I still have a lot of work to do.
Funny thing is, I got 44% and I grew up in a very religious, 99% white, conservative, nice middle-class suburb. The only thing I didn't have in common with everyone around me is that I'm an atheist liberal.

Lrbearclaw

May 19, 2009
You live with 40 out of 100 points of privilege.

You?re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You?ve had your fair share of struggles, and you?ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way.

---------------

White, Hetero, Christian male... Mom died a few years back and Dad cant find a job so I was doing it all until I got thrown out. So.. yeah I have to earn what I want and fight for it.