Check Your Privilege!

ozium

Feb 8, 2011
Got 32. Dayum. Definitely don't feel like a 32 though. I tend to get whatever I want, It just takes longer for me. I'm also studying Engineering so I would hope my life would be better after finishing my degree

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
maninahat said:
geK0 said:
I'd like to point out that you automatically have 25 points just for being a straight white male who isn't ashamed of being a straight white male (many of these questions logically default to "yes" with that being true). So this quiz is pretty damn bias. So using this quiz, a $50,000/year wage white guy might score the same privilege as Ellen Degeneres..... think about that for a second.

For the record, I am not denying that I am privileged (I am, but it's not for those reasons alone), I just feel that 25% is a lot of weight to be just for being straight white and male. : \
"just for being straight white and male".

That's the entire thing though - the whole point of this quiz is to alert you to the fact that being straight, white or male can present you with significant advantages over those who aren't. The fact that you think being straight, white or male shouldn't influence the score so much, suggests that you aren't aware of these advantages.
I'm aware that some people seem to think that white people should feel sorry for non-whites because of some inherent disadvantage they have instead of just, you know, seeing them as equals (no that would be racist).Who really benefits from having people feel sorry for them anyway? Who really wants this?

I'm more than happy to check my privileges, but they aren't straight, white, and male those aren't privileges. My privileges are

Being born in a middle class family
Being a citizen of a first world country
Not having to pay for medical insurance (Canadian)
Being able to afford rent and own a car

I'd say, if I were a black dude in my exact same circumstances, I wouldn't feel any less privileged; actually, I'd be offended if anyone told me otherwise.

Directionless

Nov 4, 2013
M_K_D said:
Ice Car said:
Oh, that one? I knew someone would eventually unironically call me out on that one.

I use the word to describe people who are dumb. That's it. No underlying discriminator behavior or feelings towards people who are mentally ill. I've been friends with a lot of people are are mentally ill and they're just fine.

Please just cut the crap with this "ableist" bullshit. If I'm not calling someone who's mentally ill a "retard" then why does it matter? This is coming from someone with numerous mental disabilities by the way.
Using oppressive language against people who aren't being oppressed by it doesn't magically strip the word of its meaning or power. I'll cut the ableist bullshit when people stop being ableist, deal with it.
Want to call your friend a ******? Homophobic.
Want to call your friend a *****? Sexist.
Want to call your friend a ******? Racist.
Want to call your friend a retard? Ableist.

Oppressive words are oppressive not matter how you use them.
This is so godamn wrong. Language changes over time. That's just how it is. Try telling a black guy calling his friend ****** is racist.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
M_K_D said:
This whole topic isn't very interesting to me
M_K_D said:
I'm really tired of this topic.
You keep saying this, but you still keep replying to people.
M_K_D said:
I'll cut the ableist bullshit when people stop being ableist, deal with it.

Want to call your friend a retard? Ableist.
What??

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
geK0 said:
maninahat said:
geK0 said:
I'd like to point out that you automatically have 25 points just for being a straight white male who isn't ashamed of being a straight white male (many of these questions logically default to "yes" with that being true). So this quiz is pretty damn bias. So using this quiz, a $50,000/year wage white guy might score the same privilege as Ellen Degeneres..... think about that for a second.

For the record, I am not denying that I am privileged (I am, but it's not for those reasons alone), I just feel that 25% is a lot of weight to be just for being straight white and male. : \

That's the entire thing though - the whole point of this quiz is to alert you to the fact that being straight, white or male can present you with significant advantages over those who aren't. The fact that you think being straight, white or male shouldn't influence the score so much, suggests that you aren't aware of these advantages.
I'm aware that some people seem to think that white people should feel sorry for non-whites because of some inherent disadvantage they have instead of just, you know, seeing them as equals (no that would be racist).Who really benefits from having people feel sorry for them anyway? Who really wants this?

I'm more than happy to check my privileges, but they aren't straight, white, and male those aren't privileges. My privileges are

I'd say, if I were a black dude in my exact same circumstances, I wouldn't feel any less privileged; actually, I'd be offended if anyone told me otherwise.
It's not about feeling sorry for other people. It's about being aware that some people don't automatically have it as easy as you in some areas, because society doesn't treat them as the default. That way, you can thn do something about it, or permit others to do something about it. Case in point, a black guy, regardless of how middle-class or first world he is, still has to contend with the various disadvantages of being black in a predominantly white society. To take one example, a black person, would most probably have to deal with a lot more racial epithets thrown their way.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
maninahat said:
geK0 said:
maninahat said:
geK0 said:

It's not about feeling sorry for other people. It's about being aware that some people don't automatically have it as easy as you in some areas, because society doesn't treat them as the default. That way, you can thn do something about it, or permit others to do something about it. Case in point, a black guy, regardless of how middle-class or first world he is, still has to contend with the various disadvantages of being black in a predominantly white society. To take one example, a black person, would most probably have to deal with a lot more racial epithets thrown their way.
I don't know what age you live in, but it's not exactly socially acceptable for people to go around calling black people niggers. Outside of like backwoods southern states, it's just not acceptable in modern society to for a white person to call a black person that, especially in an insulting manner. Also I think if the worst disadvantage that black people had to deal with in being a minority in America was racial epithets I don't think most of them would consider themselves that disadvantaged.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
M_K_D said:
The words ******, retard, and ***** are oppressive in every public context, even if the intention to oppress isn't there.
Challenge accepted:

"Last Tuesday, Dave was walking down the road with his bulldog, Rosie. He was on his way to dinner at his friend Chris's house, and he walked briskly in anticipation of Chris's speciality - home made pork faggots with onion gravy. However, his swift progress was retarded when his ***** paused to sniff at a nearby lamp post"

Touché :)

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
"You?re quite privileged. You?ve had a few struggles, but overall your life has been far easier than most. This is not a bad thing, nor is it something to be ashamed of. But you should be aware of your advantages and work to help others who don?t have them. Thank you for checking your privilege" hm better than I thought

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Wow this thread really exploded. Now instead of having to go to tumblr for some good chuckles, I can just come here and read through this thread instead. :)

Screw the thought police.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
th3dark3rsh33p said:
maninahat said:
geK0 said:
maninahat said:
geK0 said:

It's not about feeling sorry for other people. It's about being aware that some people don't automatically have it as easy as you in some areas, because society doesn't treat them as the default. That way, you can thn do something about it, or permit others to do something about it. Case in point, a black guy, regardless of how middle-class or first world he is, still has to contend with the various disadvantages of being black in a predominantly white society. To take one example, a black person would most probably have to deal with a lot more racial epithets thrown their way.
I don't know what age you live in, but it's not exactly socially acceptable for people to go around calling black people niggers. Outside of like backwoods southern states, it's just not acceptable in modern society to for a white person to call a black person that, especially in an insulting manner. Also I think if the worst disadvantage that black people had to deal with in being a minority in America was racial epithets I don't think most of them would consider themselves that disadvantaged.
Firstly, whether it is acceptable or not, people outside of backwoods Southern States still call people niggers (or whatever). Secondly, I imagine it's easier for you to dismiss the racial insults when presumably, as a white person living in a predominantly white society, you don't tend have all that many directed at you. Thirdly, that's not the "worst disadvantage" at all, but I picked that one example because it was the most obvious and needed the least explanation.

CAPTCHA QUOTE: "Better call Saul". Awesome, a Nero Wolfe quote!

Xangi

Mar 4, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

I was going to try to write a huge paragraph with all of these in it, but posting the link is easier. You can't censor my thoughts, and in my country you cannot censor my speech, but you do have a right to retaliate with your own. Without even touching on how the ideas of "oppression" (relating to bullshit like "oppressive language" and "modern equity" are frankly insulting to those they aim to protect, I'll say that social liberalism has begun to degenerate from something about freedom into a twisted social anti-conservativism, where it aims to only allow and protect what was not allowed or protected before, and to suppress all that was once allowed. The day it stopped being about freedom and started being about thought control was the day I stopped supporting it.

C14N

May 28, 2008
NSGrendel said:
C14N said:
I'm not giving Buzzfeed an extra page view but are they seriously calling you less privileged for being an atheist?
Yes. They are. Do you have a response to that or are you just trying to appeal to a general sense of outrage?
My response is just that it's silly, there's nothing underprivileged about atheism, at least not in the west. I'm not taking the stupid Fox News stance of "it's the Christians who are victimised every day" but atheists aren't either. Now Muslims or Sikh's on the other hand, I could see them being considered less privileged.