Cheerleader must compensate school that told her to clap 'rapist'

Rahxephon5

Jan 8, 2011
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Rahxephon5 said:
I know people are going to disagree with this but here it goes anyway.

I can understand how the school/courts could see this case as 'frivolous'. This guy was let back on the basketball team after the initial incident. Chances are good that this wasn't a big secret. So from the schools point of view, she should have realized, that at some point being on the cheer squad she would have to cheer for the basketball team and through that, the person who assaulted her. With that train of thought, she had several choices that she could have done to avoid the situation at the game. She could have talked to the coach to see about not participating during basketball games and if that wasn't an option she could have removed herself from the squad. So in short she had ways to avoid the situation and as far as I can tell from the story, she didn't even attempt any of them.

Also, if the person who raped your daughter, was back in the same school as her, wouldn't you see about moving her to a different school?
So the victim of rape is the one who has to give up her hobbie? and school life so as not to inconvenient the rapist?
I'm not saying she has to give up her hobbie or school life, I'm just pointing out that she had other options. If you were assualted by a fellow student and found out that they were able to come back to school at the same place and you were asked to work with them directly or indirectly wouldn't you talk to your principle about it? And if they give you the answer of 'There's nothing we can do about it.' would you just continue to do the parts of your job (in this case cheering) that didn't envolve the individual and not work on the parts that did and then sue the school when they ask you to leave the team for not doing your job? Or would you look for something different to do or find a new school to go to?

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
I sincerely hope that the story is taken out of context and the guy didn't actually rape her or something, cos that shit be fucked up yo.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Publicity is the best medicine for this kind of thing. Let everyone find out. Let our rage be known. Lets see this survive an appeal then.

Rhiehn

Aug 16, 2010
This is actually perfectly fine, she was dropped from the team for not participating regardless of the legitimacy of her reasons. She sued the school and lost and had to pay the court fees. Nothing seems out of order here.

PinochetIsMyBro

Aug 21, 2010
Texan here: The only thing I find confusing is that the father hasn't already killed him.

That's pretty much it. The rest makes perfect sense.

Drafon

Mar 3, 2011
Honestly, I expect this kind of bullshit from humans in general.
Needless to say, kicking her off the team is complete bullshit. Yes, she refused to do what her coach told her to but on ethical grounds. It would be like kicking someone off a team because they're pro-life or some such waste of time.
This entire court case is also bullshit. She has every right to be on the team and shouldn't be kicked off because her beliefs are different from that of her coach's. I thought even Texas was past the point where a Christian couldn't forbid a Jew to play on their soccer team. Apparently not. And then making her cover everything just makes them look like money-grabbing Scrooge McDucks.
Not to mention that her rapist pled guilty, if I'm remembering correctly. HE PLED GUILTY TO RAPE! SHOULDN'T THAT SHOW CLEAR NEED FOR A JAIL SENTENCE IF NOT CASTRATION?
There's my rant.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
Valiard said:
Here is a question, WHY IS THE RAPIST STILL ON ANY TEAM AND NOT IN JAIL??!? This situation should not even be happening...or is it just me?
Because sports. If you're good at sports, you can literally get away with murder in this country.

InsertEvilLaugh

May 28, 2009
Rhiehn said:
This is actually perfectly fine, she was dropped from the team for not participating regardless of the legitimacy of her reasons. She sued the school and lost and had to pay the court fees. Nothing seems out of order here.
Agreed, what happened to her was horrible and the crime of rape is purely on the shoulders of the man who raped her. It was a horrible crime and I feel sorry for her.

However, she signed up for the Cheerleading squad knowing she'd have to cheer at the games, help team spirit and all that hoo-hah. I'm not saying she was wrong for not cheering but she didn't follow the rules and just stood there looking angry. The coach had every right to kick her off the squad.

As for the suits she filed against the school district, they were frivolous, she broke a rule and was punished for it. She wasted the school districts time with those suits and wasted their money as well. The fines she was given were perfectly within the right of the law to give her, she should have spent some time and energy getting suits against the boys who raped her.

More evidence needs to be looked at at the actual crime that was committed and the boys who raped her need to be sent to prison and tried as adults in my opinion. They committed a horrible crime and need to be punished for it, but sadly as they are 16 and minors.

PinochetIsMyBro said:
Texan here: The only thing I find confusing is that the father hasn't already killed him.

That's pretty much it. The rest makes perfect sense.

This Texan agrees and is equally confused on the situation.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
For the record, she isn't paying because she refused to cheer. She is being forced to pay because after getting a ruling she decided to continue legal drawing the school back into court for literally the exact same trial a second time in hopes of a different result.

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Drafon said:
Needless to say, kicking her off the team is complete bullshit. Yes, she refused to do what her coach told her to but on ethical grounds. It would be like kicking someone off a team because they're pro-life or some such waste of time.
This entire court case is also bullshit. She has every right to be on the team and shouldn't be kicked off because her beliefs are different from that of her coach's. I thought even Texas was past the point where a Christian couldn't forbid a Jew to play on their soccer team. Apparently not. And then making her cover everything just makes them look like money-grabbing Scrooge McDucks.
Not to mention that her rapist pled guilty, if I'm remembering correctly. HE PLED GUILTY TO RAPE! SHOULDN'T THAT SHOW CLEAR NEED FOR A JAIL SENTENCE IF NOT CASTRATION?
There's my rant.
He plead guilty to Assault, which is a misdemeanor. Read the article dude.

Drafon

Mar 3, 2011
Aur0ra145 said:
Drafon said:
There's my rant.
Wasn't sure if I remembered that correctly. Thanks for correcting me.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
slowpoke999 said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/cheerleader-must-compensate-school-that-told-her-to-clap-rapist-2278522.html

A teenage girl who was dropped from her high school's cheer leading squad after refusing to chant the name of a basketball player who had sexually assaulted her must pay compensation of $45,000 (£27,300) after losing a legal challenge against the decision.
Normally stuff like this makes me rage so hard I am unable to type,this time I am sort of in a transcended state of pure rage so I am able to coherently type.It happened in the US in Texas btw.

So,what are the Escapists feelings on this,I consider myself level headed and understand crazy shit happens in this world,but if I had a daughter who got raped and I had to pay the rapists legal fees,I think I would instead use that money to buy guns and ammo and go postal on the judge and rapist.This is if I was 100% certain my daughter got raped.
Supreme court that sh!t. They would never stand for anything like that.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
it is texas. fuck texas. basically fuck the south i've seen racist/sexist behavior out of most of the self procliamed southerners i've seen. i'm sure there are perfectly reasonable southerners but i haven't read up on their cases.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
FoxVI said:
evilthecat said:
Duol said:
Freedom of Speech is not designed to protect you in the way that she is claiming to 'use' it. In fact, by claiming that he is a rapist and making a stand against him (when nothing of the sort has been proven) is defamation.

Whether she was or wasn't raped is irrelevant. It couldn't be proven, only what he pleaded guilty to.
Slow down there.

Look, we understand the concept of 'innocent until proven guilty', but to say that you can't accuse someone of a serious crime because it hasn't been proved in a court of law makes absolutely no sense at all. How else would anyone bring charges against someone else?

This is especially true of rape, where the conviction rate is exceptionally low due to a high burden of evidence. A court can be largely sure that someone is guilty of rape, and it seems quite possible in this situation, yet lack the evidence to actually convict. This is why we have a whole variety of other measures designed to protect people who lose their cases, because there must still be every acknowledgement that they may have been raped.

He has not been proven innocent, the case against him has been dropped due to insufficient evidence. While these may mean the same things legally, it does not mean that this woman has no right to call him a rapist, because he might be. If it's a problem, I'm sure he could take that defamation case to court, but that would place the burden of proof on him to prove that he didn't rape this woman, and if there was insufficient evidence to convict him, there's unlikely to be sufficient evidence to prove that he didn't do it.
Thank you very much for saying exactly what I was thinking.

sadly, rape is a very hard crime to commit. our school in particular has a student who knows who raped her but couldn't get a conviction because you can't get a conviction for he said she said basis (and rightfullly so. as i've known several victims, i've also known several falsely accused guys). obviously this is bad, and since rape is such a hard crime to convict for, the penalties should be extremely harsh, to prevent anyone from even thinking about trying it. currently, posession of over 10 grams of LSD is a more serious crime than rape. that is bullshit.

upon reviewing this letter later, this is exactly the situation posed by said student in a school newspaper. she named her rapist, and he had his lawyer buddy try to claim defamation of character while avoiding the facts of the case.

TheSkaAssassin

Oct 12, 2009
ITT: people who think it's funny to hate on Texas.

I will not apologize for my state. While I think that this is a terrible situation, I think the school had every right to throw her off the cheerleading squad for insubordination.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
JMeganSnow said:
BlackWidower said:
Wait, if he did that, why would he still be going to the same school, much less outside the four walls of a prison? The man pleaded guilty, so we know he did it. So why didn't they try to get a restraining order? How big a deal would it have been for him to go to a different school?
If you actually READ THE ARTICLE (not that it's a particularly well-written article), you'll note that he pled guilty to a MISDEMEANOR assault charge--the charge of rape was dropped. Most misdemeanors don't carry a prison sentence, particularly for minors.
Yeah, I did read that, my point was, why didn't they file a restraining order?

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Drafon said:
Aur0ra145 said:
Drafon said:
There's my rant.
Wasn't sure if I remembered that correctly. Thanks for correcting me.
No worries. Oh, and; us Texans only chemically castrate offenders after repeat offenses.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
TheSkaAssassin said:
ITT: people who think it's funny to hate on Texas.

I will not apologize for my state. While I think that this is a terrible situation, I think the school had every right to throw her off the cheerleading squad for insubordination.
Sometimes an outsider's opinion is the most objective. Most of the country thinks the law requiring non Anglo people to carry citizenship papers at all times in Arizona is monstrous but even a lot of otherwise rational Arizonians have a hard time saying so.