Chernobyl Becoming a Tourist Destination Next Year

woob^3

Aug 7, 2008
The tour that I went on had a cost dependent on the number of passengers: On a tour by yourself, it cost something like USD500. I had another 8 people on my tour, and it cost me roughly USD150 for 8 hours, including pickup from Kiev. Including lunch! :-D

Jhans0

Jul 6, 2010
VBS.TV did a fairly awesome documentary on a Chernobyl trip they did in 2007. Of course using the word documentary to define their somewhat loose concept of "filming people getting drunk and shooting at radioactive boars" may or may not be fitting.

Either way its quite interesting and rather entertaining to watch.

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-travel/the-radioactive-beasts-of-chernobyl

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
This looks like an awesome idea for a roadtrip, already bugging my friend to do it.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Definitely added to my bucket list (as if it wasn't already). I'm not worried about the radiation, they've been doing tours there for some time. Follow the rules, don't be stupid and you'll be fine. It's not like they have a bunch of amateurs setting this up. If their scientists say it's ok, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
*raises hand*

Go to the site where a reactor meltdown happened? I am so fucking in!

matt87_50 said:
I hear its a real hot spot, should be a blast!
My friend, those were absolutely pun-tastic.

fallte

Dec 15, 2010
You people should be aware that the town of Chernobyl and the town of Pripyat which you've seen in stalker are two entirely different things. Chernobyl is located about 20km down the river from the power plant and people actually do live there. Also to those of you talking about hazmat suits, get real - the really dangerous elements that emit a high amount of gamma rays have a really short half life and have long since dissipated. The zone is not dangerous in the time window we are talking about, the real danger is prolonged exposure, hence why you should't take souvenirs. Get your facts straight, sadly no mutation and/or superpowers will result from such a trip :)

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
I actually really want to go there. Me and one of my friends were talking about going to Russia before, but I wanted to go and see the Metro tunnels because they have chandeliers in there which I think is awesome. She wants to go on a tour of Europe, so if we ever get the money together we are going to Chernobyl. I will force her in there.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
It's been open to excursions for ages. You just have to know who to call. It's still on my list of places to visit (and most of all photograph) anyway.

Feb 19, 2010
i would so GO. Revisiting an old soviet shist town as a ukranian myself, i would find it interetsting. i wonder, what if it was all cleaned up, and re opened?

Big Phil

May 4, 2010
BTW, a good friend of mine can organize tours to Chernobyl (has already done this before - he worked as the excurtion manager for several hotels (and still works in one) in Kyiv - the capital of Ukraine) and you don't need to wait for 2011 to come. If you are really interested in going there I can get you in touch with him.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Korias said:
Sarah Kerrigan said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R anyone? xDD

Anywho, it sounds fun. I might go
This. The amount of times I've wanted to travel the Soviet Wastes S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style, and now it can finally happen.
I wanna go and pretend to LARP stalker xDD