Childhood Phobias.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Stepped on a wasp nest as a four year old, 81 stings. Fifteen years later I still flinch when large insects fly near my head but I don't sprint away screaming anymore.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
When I was five, I overheard some adults mention the phrase "skeletons in (his) closet"... I barely slept for a few days... started hallucinating skeletons coming out of my closet. Eventually I confronted them with a plastic sword, and discovered only shirts on hangars.

That's the only one I remember, and the last one I had.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
The sound of a toilet flushing.
Yeah, I was a weird kid. I thought a little crocodile would come out of the toilet when I flushed and eat me.

Dracowrath

Jul 7, 2011
The phobias I had as a kid are still with me, but much less severe. It's basically any flying/stinging insect, all arachnids, and heights. I used to be afraid of the dark but over the years that's lessened, and now isn't so much darkness but not being able to see. I can handle some darkness, but if it's absolutely pitch black I can't take it.

Apocalyptore

Mar 28, 2011
Water and dogs.
When I was two or three I had a near-death experience in which I fell in a pool and nearly drowned.
Then, when I was a few years older, my aunt's dog (who was easily almost my size when standing on ALL FOURS), jumped me. He was just being playful, sure. But it scared the crap out of me.

Nowadays I don't fear or even hate water, I just have no desire to go swimming or anything.
And I love dogs now, all dogs.

Nicholas Warner

Sep 28, 2011
Clowns. BY GOD THE CLOWNS. I'm still not over this one. Also I hate sleeping in silence and near any open door. I cannot sleep with the door to my room open.

kidwithxboxlive

Aug 24, 2010
Heights. Do they count?
But one of them, is the future. Don't know what it is, but if i think about the future, like taking my GCSE's, i start to feel sick. Apart from that, im all good

Ciartan

Sep 13, 2009
Well, except for all the usual crap (darkness, monsters etc), when i was very young this:

scared the crap out of me. (i was very VERY afraid of snakes)

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Moths, goddam freakin' moths. I remember one time a moth landed next to me, I literally broke down into hysterics.

Sep 13, 2010
Sleeping, don't judge I had 3 relatives die while they and I slept, and the little kid I was I assumed it my fault for sleeping. And no, it did not do good things for my health.

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
Spiders.
I still haven't grown out of it though so it's not really a childhood phobia since I still have it in adulthood but hey.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
My childhood phobias are still with me today, one of them having relaxed a bit though.

Claustrophobia, the fear of crowded or tight spaces, even since I was locked in my school locker for over an hour in 6th grade. Thankfully this one isn't as bad anymore, and as long as something isn't uber crowded or extremely small I can usually calm myself down.

Coulrophobia, the fear of clowns, is still with me in full force. I've been scared of them ever since I was little. This phobia almost got me arrested once when I was visiting Seattle, cause while walking down the streets and exploring I ran into someone dressed as a clown in order to promote some show that was coming. I decked him in the face and booked it when he approached me, screaming bloody murder when some cops who were in the area took me in. I had to explain that I had a phobia to them, and thankfully the guy I punched understood and refused to press charges.

My friends still make me tell that story over and over -_-

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I seem to remember there being a not-quite-a-photograph picture of a stuffed bear hanging up on the wall when I was a lot younger (4 or 5). Fucking thing used to freak the shit out of me.

An actual phobia would be spiders though; still have it, but to a lesser extent.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
When I was younger we used to get these agendas with a holographic front but the front had these small ridges. When scratched the ridges they made this sound like a saw going through wood but more high pitched. I HATED THAT! I still dislike it but I can tolerate it at least.

Cockroaches still scare the shit out of me. I see one and I think they are going to swarm at me...and I live in NYC...:(

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
The music videos of the band KISS. I watched it, had no idea what it was about and had sleeping problems for a few years.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
When I was a kid, my parents and grandparents had a penchant for making me watch 80's horror movies and some of the older "classics" such as The Omen, Nightmare on Elm Street, JAWS, Friday the 13th and the like. While most of them I got away with not being afraid of them, there are two that really creeped me out to no end. One was JAWS, and as an adult it still sticks with me.
I FUCKING HATE SHARKS. Not fear them, absolutely hate them with borderline genocidal tendency. I see a shark, I want to kill the fucking thing. I went on the ride at Universal Studios in Orlando, FL and came out of it wanting to murder the ride operators and the designer.
The other thing was Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the only thing I remember is the scene where Leatherface pops out of a freezer. Ever since then I don't like those types of freezers and get a little edgy near them.
Also I hate clowns with a passion. Not fear, again like the sharks I fucking hate clowns and want to kill them.
Thankfully I have high impulse control techniques and have refrained from killing any in my life so far, but I have punched a few for getting too close. Also I've got in a few fights with ICP fans... but thats for other reasons besides the clown thing. I think "Juggalos" are some of the dumbest cult followers on the planet.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
UrieHusky said:
Spiders.
I still haven't grown out of it though so it's not really a childhood phobia since I still have it in adulthood but hey.
Spider = blood splat on the wall >:)

Black skyboxes + gravity on the hand (e.g. noclip in the first Unreal), those are evil o_O