Oct 29, 2009
Top three worst video game experts of all time:

1. Marco Bocaz
2. Tomás Cofré
3. Michael Pachter (Couldn't resist...)

Zato-1

Mar 27, 2009
As a Chilean, let me clarify a few points:
*Las Ultimas Noticias can only charitably be called a newspaper, it's more like a tabloid- a print version of something like buzzfeed.

*Tomás Cofré's contrubitions to the article were intelligent and well informed- the link in this article to his Facebook explanation (in spanish, being Chile) isn't controversial at all, he explains the 1983 Atari games crash, some of the biggest failures in videogames (he mentions E.T., Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever), and mentions that another game on the list (Big Rigs) was really awful. That's it, there's no mention whatsoever of Shenmue, Psychonauts, Okami or Pacman; so he at least should be innocent of that abortion of a list.

*No, Chilean gamers don't agree with the list at all. I mean, I never thought much of Psychonauts or Okami, they just weren't my style, but I'd never include them in a top 10 worst games of all time, that's where you put games like Earth: Year 2066, Aliens: Colonial Marines, or Half-Life 2 (I kid, I kid)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
MazokuRanma said:
Top three worst video game experts of all time:

1. Marco Bocaz
2. Tomás Cofré
3. Michael Pachter (Couldn't resist...)
Duuuude read my post above yours. All Cofré did was say ET, Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever suck.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It make me wonder how much of a nerdrage it would take for those two to make a rebuttal to their top 10 decisions.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Disregarding this being blatantly obvious clickbait that really doesn't deserve being covered on a respectable gaming website, yeah, the list is garbage.

That said, I can understand calling Shenmue a bad game. I enjoyed it but depending on your criteria as a game I can easily see it ranking in the "not good" category. I can also totally understand calling out Pac-Man. It, like many other "classics," were good for their time but just don't hold up as more than a few minute diversion today. Neither, however, are games I would ever consider putting on a "worst ever" list.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, obviously, these people are fecking morons. Even taking popular opinion of Duke Nukem into account, DNF doesn't belong there, because there are games that are just absolute unworkable shit out there. Where's Colonel Marines? Where's Cosmic Race? Where's that one that TotalBiscuit was in a fight over?Gimmer a royal ass break.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I wish the article states what's so bad about Okami.* I mean, the ratio of actual gameplay to unskippable, snail-paced cut scenes can make playing it feel like a goddamned endurance test sometimes, but top ten worst games of all time?

*unless it does actually say what's so bad about Okami, in which case I wish it would say so in English so I can understand it

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
I'm a bit curious how the author of the escapist article missed mentioning Grim Fandango, which is a game of arguably superior quality to Shenmue or Okami (though a different genre)?

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Grim Fandango was one of the greatest point and click adventure games.....I would pretty much like to know their rationale on putting this game on their list.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
JimB said:
I wish the article states what's so bad about Okami.* I mean, the ratio of actual gameplay to unskippable, snail-paced cut scenes can make playing it feel like a goddamned endurance test sometimes, but top ten worst games of all time?

*unless it does actually say what's so bad about Okami, in which case I wish it would say so in English so I can understand it
This article hit me because after years of being told Okami was the crown of the PS2, I just bought Okami HD for the PS3 yesterday, and have had to walk away after 2 hours of play. The obnoxious character "voices" and the constant pressing of X for 20 minutes before you even get to play the game.

Oh, but wait you walk 3 steps into a tree-cave enterance and "whoa there buddy, that's enough excitement for you, here have another cut-scene"

I hope the combat improves as it's currently just the same "mash one button" approach. And even for a tutorial section the opening was holding my hand so tightly I could feel the circulation being cut off.

Once my blood-pressure's gone down I'll attempt another 2 hours and pray it gets as good as people say because I don't want to have lost £10.

It's not the worst game I've ever played, but from my early experience it's far from even some of the "good" games I've played.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
You know, Okami keeps grabbing my eye in the PSN store. I'm glad this list came along and dissuaded me from wasting my money on it....

Daystar Clarion said:
*Eye twitch*

I see...

No, no, it's grand, I'll just be over here.

[sub]Shattering armies...[/sub]

[sub][sub]Burning worlds...[/sub][/sub]
Oh? Are you a fan of one of these games or something?

erbkaiser said:
If this is not trollbait, it seems like this list counts commercial failures as bad games. In which case yes, Okami, Psychonauts, and Shenmue sadly all qualify.

Edit: as does Grim Fandango for that matter. So this is 6 bad games, and 4 commercial failures that nearly broke their studios.
Okami got a DS sequel and an HD remaster. Do they do that for commercial failures?

This is aa serious question, BTW, because if it was really a failure it seems counter-intuitive to make an HD re-release.

I don't know about the rest. Okami's the only one I've paid even remote attention to.

Johnny Novgorod said:
If anybody cares to inspect the list up close you'll notice that the ranking is based chronologically.

1) ET (1982)
2) Pac Man (1982)
3) Desert Bus (1996)
4) Grim Fandango (1998)
5) Shenmue (1999)
6) Daikatana (2000)
7) Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing (2003)
8) Psychonauts (2005)
9) Okami (2006)
10) Duke Nukem Forever (2011)

Another good reason not to take the list seriously.
Are you kidding? That's the best reason TO take it seriously. Old games, frankly, suck more than newer ones!

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I don't think Shenmue or Psychonauts are near being the worst games ever, but persoally i on't think any of the games are particularily good. Psychonauts is a poorly made platformer with questionable art direction that just happens to have a decent and inventive Story/World, but not anything that really caught my interest. Shnmue is just a bit boring, in my eyes, too many QTE, too much work and the story is slow and dull. I liked fighting, but then i might as well just play Virtua Fighter, then i don't have to deal with all the less interesting stuff.

But what's the point of revealing a list if we don't get their arguments? I can see why some people would cite these games as bad and i can see why some people would disagree. The only interesting thing about a list like this would be the arguments else we're just gonna end with a thread where people call them out for being incompetent or whatever.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
ExtraDebit said:
Grim Fandango was one of the greatest point and click adventure games.....I would pretty much like to know their rationale on putting this game on their list.
Click bait, or maybe it wasn't translated into Spanish properly...Or maybe a chilian writer didn't like the Mexian atmosphere....Either way it's an amateurs attempt to write a gaming list....

...Wait, someone wrote a shitty top-10 list that would never be read. And it appeared on the Escapist, I see who the real click baiters are here!!!

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
It must be a slow news day at the escapist if a clickbait Top Ten article from Chile is worthy of a story simmering with indignant outrage.

EDIT: In fact, after reading Johnny Novgorod's post, maybe you should think about removing the sarcastic inverted commas from the description of the pair as gaming experts.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
They rank Pyschonauts and Grim Fandango among such games as ET and Duke Nukem Forever? There is only one reasonable course of action here, burn Chile to the ground and cleanse the world of these heretics. Or you know just ignore this embarrassing attempt at game journalism and carry on with our lives.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
happy_turtle said:
I hope the combat improves as it's currently just the same "mash one button" approach.
It does. Hitting people with a weapon will always be just hitting Square a bunch of times, but you can combine weapons in ways to have access to more effects, though they're pretty limited in scope. Most of the variation will come from trying to figure out how to use your brush techniques in a fight. You'll also be able to buy techniques from a dojo that grant you greater mobility and defense (in the form of dodging, not a passive defense like armor), or that cause your enemies to drop rare items.

Honestly, I quite like the story. I particularly like Amaterasu's humor (Issun's is lowbrow and boring; "i liek tittez lol" can summarize most of his jokes). The game's visual jokes have an odd combination of anime surreality and Looney Tunes slapstick. I think the gameplay, though interesting and probably the first of its kind, is only good, not great. I just wish the cut scenes gave me a little goddamned credit and let me skip the stuff I already figured out.

Oh, and if it helps, there's a button you can hold to speed up the scrolling text in most scenarios, at least on the PS2 version. I forget which button. Maybe Start or Square. Play around; you'll find it.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Just to clear something up, listing Pac-Man for the Atari is justified, and pretty standard for these lists - it was a broken mess in the same vein as ET:

But yeah, the rest just makes it look like the guy's trying to look edgy. Then again, when asked my least favourite games I say Metroid: Other M and BioShock, so it's whatever :p
That's what makes me think Alex Co didn't play that Pac Man game, it was really bad and the developers should feel bad. One maze, horrible aesthetic, the game was very very bad.

Let me look at the rest of the list
1. ET (Atari - 1982)
Obviously this deserves it
2. Pac Man (Atari - 1982) *cites bugs for this version as to why it's included*
See what I said above
3. Desert Bus (Sega - 1995)
Never played it
4. Grim Fandango (LucasArts - 1998)
Never played it
5. Shenmue (Sega - 1999)
Never played it
6. Daikatana (Eidos - 2000)
Never played it
7. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing (Stellas Stone - 2003)
Heard horrible things but I'd never played it (and having seen horrible things I don't want to
8. Psychonauts (Double Fine - 2005) Ufff...
Never played it
9. Okami (Clover Studio - 2006) Just unbelievable...
Never played it
10. Duke Nukem Forever (Gearbox - 2011)
The demo I played was kinda lame but no worse than the yearly Call of Duty game

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
right ....

This is why I never listen to 'experts', an alarming amount of them have no fucking idea what they're talking about.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
This news paper sounds like it wanted make troll/clickbait and I guess it was a success.
Calling okami one of the worst games ever is just silly. okami at minimum is a functional and stable game which is more then what can be said other games out there.
happy_turtle said:
Okami is one of my favorite games and I have to admit it is a bit of a slow burner.
I kind of impatient during the beginning of the game until I get receiving the first plant based power. once that happen the cursed field can be uncursed which gives some room to run around and you can go the max speed.

the combat does improve a bit once you get another type of weapon in the forest. I never really liked the weapon you start with as the primary weapon. I like it better as shield in the secondary weapon slot while using Rosaries (fast, long reach, weak damage) or Glaive(slow but powerful sword looking things) as primary weapons. using that stuff with a verity of brush power also makes the combat better. even with all that I have to say the combat is not the biggest strength of the game but it is decently enjoyable even if the regular fight are a bit on the easy side.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
erbkaiser said:
If this is not trollbait, it seems like this list counts commercial failures as bad games. In which case yes, Okami, Psychonauts, and Shenmue sadly all qualify.

Edit: as does Grim Fandango for that matter. So this is 6 bad games, and 4 commercial failures that nearly broke their studios.
Okami got a DS sequel and an HD remaster. Do they do that for commercial failures?

This is aa serious question, BTW, because if it was really a failure it seems counter-intuitive to make an HD re-release.

I don't know about the rest. Okami's the only one I've paid even remote attention to.
Okami was a commercial failure and is one of the poster children of "really good games that didn't sell". It sold about 200k copies in it's first few months. Reason why it had ports and a DS sequel (which was kinda meh) was because it was a cult classic and considered to be among the best games of the PS2. Ico sold badly too, but it's been ported to the PS3 and Vita (and Sony still gives money to Team Ico despite SOTC not selling that great either). Cult hits can still make a lot of money, though I can say with confidence they ported Okami to the Wii (and enabled Move support on PS3) because they thought the drawing mechanic would've been better suited to the console.

I can't talk much about Shenmue, but Psychonauts sold even worse than Okami at around 100k. Grim Fandango didn't sell all that well either. Tim Schafer can't catch a break sometimes.