China Overtakes U.S. with World's Fastest Supercomputer

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
1.5 petaflops, china's 2.75 petaflops, i guess that counts as moore's law. is really stretching it though

"Stringing more of them together than anyone else in the world does not really constitute a new advance, despite the power of the tool."

i would have to agree, when i saw the heading, (makes the us a pocket computer) i thought they had quantum, they still probably cant fold a protein with it :(

gort

Mar 23, 2009
lostzombies.com said:
gort said:
lostzombies.com said:
danpascooch said:
Ok, it's one thing for the US to be beaten by Japan or maybe Korea in this department, but CHINA!? SERIOUSLY!? Fuck that, we need to make a new megacomputer
I'm sure most western countries have secret ones that are equal to if not more powerful than this. The only difference is that we don't advertise them so people don't know where to send their new government made computer viruses for shits and giggles
very wrong.
the top 500 list of supercomputers shows the topranking clusters in the world:
http://top500.org/list/2010/06/100
and the NSA / MI6 / FSB / Mossad etc would tell everyone about their supercomputers and their specifications ....why?
because you don't shop for super clusters without someone noticing, the hardware don't grow on trees, you know?
as there are only 3 players in the hardware field (amd/ati, intel and nvidia) and all are public traded, it is quite hard to hide that you are shopping for something that big.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Kavonde said:
Funny as hell clipped moment
You sir win a cookie for that awesome post.

OT: I'm pretty sure other countries have way more powerful one than this one, they just keep them off the books and out of the public's eye. Also, petaflops? Is that really a term in computing or are they just screwing with our heads?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Soooo... basically China wins cyber warfare now? Or does the US have more total processing power available split between its machines?

Screw it, who's up for a nice game of global thermonuclear war?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
My question is, who was surprised by this? Anybody? No? Thought so. China has been accelerating in most fields like this for quite a while. It was only a matter of time. No major news here.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Greg Tito said:
"The scientific research that is now possible with a system of this scale is almost without limits; we could not be more pleased with the results."
I guess they finally got Morrowind to run smoothly.

deadxero

Sep 2, 2010
One word... fastest KNOWN computer... you want the fastest computer in the world you likely need to find a way into the NSA'a basement. Remember they are parsing all communications within, as well as those going in/out of, the US.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
meanwhile, millions of Chinese peasants starve...

and another bullet train is built as well

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
Elementlmage said:
If it's any consolation, the processors they are using are American/Israeli and the GPUs are Japanese. I don't think they have any tech of their own in that computer. Yet again, China leaches off of the rest of the world and decrees themselves to be the greatest.
I have to agree. For all the marvels China likes to brag about you will see close to no innovation in their buildings, their technology, anything. They just do it bigger. If they were to build a massive football stadium in Rio De Janiero, you'll most likely see a football stadium of similar design and about twice as big in China. Almost every major "innovation" in China over the past 20 can basically be summed up by the term "mine is bigger than yours".

Hell, even Chinese military equipment is of foreign origin. Their navy is a conglomeration of decommissioned ships from other first world nations and their equipment for infantry is either Chinese made AK47s or their completely shit Type 95s.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Yay!
Now they can totally use it for faster web browsi...
Or to switch to highest settings on the latest game...

Wait, what the fuck are they gonna use it for?

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
This is for all the xenophobic ladies out there, who are complaining that China didn't do anything. This is what the NY times had to say:

"Modern supercomputers are built by combining thousands of small computer servers and using software to turn them into a single entity. In that sense, any organization with enough money and expertise can buy what amount to off-the-shelf components and create a fast machine.

The Chinese system follows that model by linking thousands upon thousands of chips made by the American companies Intel and Nvidia. But the secret sauce behind the system ? and the technological achievement ? is the interconnect, or networking technology, developed by Chinese researchers that shuttles data back and forth across the smaller computers at breakneck rates, Mr. Dongarra said.

?That technology was built by them,? Mr. Dongarra said. ?They are taking supercomputing very seriously and making a deep commitment.?

The Chinese interconnect can handle data at about twice the speed of a common interconnect called InfiniBand used in many supercomputers. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/technology/28compute.html?_r=1

In short, China busted US balls here.