China's Joyland Park Rips Off StarCraft and WoW

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I don't think this is that big a deal.

As far as I know Blizzard does not have a theme park and does not plan to open one in the Future. So they don't lose money by there being one in China. Making the thing irrelevant from a financial point of view.

Sure it sucks from an artistic point of view, but from that perspective, being ripped off is also kind of flattering.

In the bottom line this actually could benefit Blizzard, since it is free Advertisement.

Jan 27, 2011
JehuBot said:
China: Copyright ? what's that ? no , we never heard of it.
Yeah.

My dad works/worked in plastics. And he's seen cases where a product was outsourced to china, and months later, there was a new product EXACTLY like theirs being sold, and it was coming from china directly. When one company brought the offenders to court (they lost a lot of money due to the copying), the judge agreed that it was a terrible thing and handed down...a 500$ fine. That was it. Case over. The copier walked out laughing.

So I don't know if blizzard is gonna be able to do much about this knockoff park.....I think what the park owners REALLY need to worry about is one of their coasters breaking down and murdering someone. :s

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I do rather like the faux-Segway.

Well, in a giggling to myself over its extra training wheels kinda way.

Simonccx

Apr 15, 2009
To be honest we are making the assumption that warcraft/starcraft invented many of these ideas, i mean come on the starcraft collosus for example is a war of the worlds rip off and im pretty sure tolkien invented orcs.

Im not convinced, similar yes but not a rip.

thought the sign with "starcraft" is, surely theres a reason though?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Thie doesn't suprise me due to the amount they had already copy as their own (e.g. like that Gundam statue).

ShakenBake

Sep 6, 2011
A theme park based on Warcraft/Starcraft is an awesome idea. Too bad the Chinese thought of it first. Not too late for Blizzard, though. It can still build one in the U.S. and I'm sure a lot of people will go.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
The Virgo said:
Man, those Chinese are something else, aren't they? Why should a little thing like copyrights prevent them from making money? I bet that's what their mentality is.

To be honest, I hope Blizzard sues them. If not, I want to know why it is they will sue a PRIVATE SERVER for $88,000,000, but won't go after guys who have A WHOLE FUCKING THEME PARK using their stuff. Oh please, Blizzard. At least try to.
How could Blizzard sue? What they're doing isn't illegal in China, which is where the park is.

It's not like they have some kind of international copyright committee.

Leemaster777 said:
Oh China, is there ANYTHING you won't illegally rip off?

Apparently not.
See above. Not illegal.

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
See above. Not illegal.
Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_in_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China

OT: Nice looking park, but that's it.. plagiarism in china isn't really new.. the same goes for low quality products from china...

"One of the most disturbing parts of the park was the general decay we witnessed, unnerving in a park open only a hair shy of two months. Cracks in paint and rust on handrails made the attendants' habit of screaming 'Goodbye!' as the roller coaster surged out of the gates even more terrifying,"

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
deckai said:
Kopikatsu said:
See above. Not illegal.
Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_in_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China

OT: Nice looking park, but that's it.. plagiarism in china isn't really new.. the same goes for low quality products from china...

"One of the most disturbing parts of the park was the general decay we witnessed, unnerving in a park open only a hair shy of two months. Cracks in paint and rust on handrails made the attendants' habit of screaming 'Goodbye!' as the roller coaster surged out of the gates even more terrifying,"
From the page:
Intellectual property rights (IPRs) have been acknowledged and protected in the People's Republic of China since 1979.
Never, ever, ever, EVER use Wikipedia as a source. Just sayin'.