Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
F-22 scores first A2A kill.
US MIC: We've done it boys! Mission Accomplished!

Seriously, me being cynical.

As much as everyone's been going on about the damn balloon for the past week, it's hard not to think the whole thing feels like a distraction from something else. IDK what else it could be right now but the whole thing feels like US government saying "LOOK! BALLOON!" and the internet looks at it and makes a bunch of memes and totally doesn't notice a couple aircraft carriers moving into the black sea or something.

Last edited:

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
TBF, if any dum dum IS going to take a shot at the balloon, I'd rather it be the government dum dums instead of some yokel who thinks that his 9mm pistol will get anywhere even close to the thing
perhaps, though it's a bit silly to send a fighter jet with an AMRAAM to destroy what is probably just a weather balloon.

Reactions: tippy2k2

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
As much as everyone's been going on about the damn balloon for the past week, it's hard not to think the whole thing feels like a distraction from something else. IDK what else it could be right now but the whole thing feels like US government saying "LOOK! BALLOON!" and the internet looks at it and makes a bunch of memes and totally doesn't notice a couple aircraft carriers moving into the black sea or something.
Not so much to me. China and Iran are the countries the politico-media complex tries to manufacture consent for a war with more than any other, including Russia, on slow news days/weeks. Right now it's not so much a need for distraction -- nobody really cares about unsecured classified documents or Congress taking a heaping shit on the First Amendment outside the bog-standard partisan nonsense -- as it is there's just nothing really new happening (and that includes the ongoing Tyre Nichols/Cop City protests).

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
*sigh*

Time for a trillion dollar balloon program. And we'd *almost* saved up enough for universal healthcare
If this balloon manages to prompt a paranoid US to waste billions of dollars on yet another program of no discernible benefit, it will have wildly outperformed the Chinese government's expectations.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
If this balloon manages to prompt a paranoid US to waste billions of dollars on yet another program of no discernible benefit, it will have wildly outperformed the Chinese government's expectations.
Apparently during Trump's term, these "weather" balloons flew over the US at least 3 times. I'm guessing this shit happens all the time, with the tacit agreement if civilians see one, it gets shot down. Like how many of our spy satellites have flown over China since that balloon was shot down? Big Governments have real-time visual feeds to just about everywhere in the world, at all times.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Apparently during Trump's term, these "weather" balloons flew over the US at least 3 times. I'm guessing this shit happens all the time, with the tacit agreement if civilians see one, it gets shot down. Like how many of our spy satellites have flown over China since that balloon was shot down? Big Governments have real-time visual feeds to just about everywhere in the world, at all times.
This is essentially my thinking too. The national news attention on it made the government's response politically necessary even if it's not militarily so. They waited for it to float over the ocean to ensure no accidents occurred when downing it and make direct recovery easier.

Reactions: SilentPony

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So I was talking about this with a friend last night and I'd wondered why, instead of launching an expensive missile, a gun run hadn't been performed (it's not as it the balloon could pull evasive maneuvers). I came to find out that the balloon was far higher than I'd thought- sixty thousand feet, ten thousand feet above the operational ceiling of pretty much any fighter jet (only specialized stealth bombers can really go higher).

And Republicans wanted civilians to shoot it down. I guess 5.56mm can go upwards more than eleven miles if you just love America enough.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
So I was talking about this with a friend last night and I'd wondered why, instead of launching an expensive missile, a gun run hadn't been performed (it's not as it the balloon could pull evasive maneuvers). I came to find out that the balloon was far higher than I'd thought- sixty thousand feet, ten thousand feet above the operational ceiling of pretty much any fighter jet (only specialized stealth bombers can really go higher).
Same reflex here. While aware that 60000 feet is out of reach of most slingshots, I was surprised downing a balloon could require a one million dollars missile. I suppose that at that altitude a plane cannot manoeuver enough to aim its canons at a balloon or to fire them ?

Anyway, while I'm here, good old Manley's take on the thingy, before it got shot down (14:56 in case yt isn't embedded with custom starting point) :

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Same reflex here. While aware that 60000 feet is out of reach of most slingshots, I was surprised downing a balloon could require a one million dollars missile. I suppose that at that altitude a plane cannot manoeuver enough to aim its canons at a balloon or to fire them ?
I imagine the issue is that if you have to fire at it at an upwards angle, you lose a great deal of control over where those rounds come back down. Plus, ten thousand feet (well, a fair bit more than that, really, given approach angles) is probably a little much to ask even for a computer-controlled gun system to manage accurately.