Chinese Cyber Spy Network Discovered

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Chinese Cyber Spy Network Discovered

Forget Big Brother, apparently it's China we need to worry about.

Canadian researchers have discovered a major electronic spy network based mainly in China. The network, dubbed GhostNet, has infiltrated 1,295 computers in 103 countries, with a focus on the governments of Asian nations, making it the most far reaching network of this type ever found.

This report comes at the end of a ten month investigation by a team of researchers from the Information Warfare Monitor (IWM), comprised of investigators from Ottawa-based think tank SecDev Group and the University of Toronto's Munk Centre for International Studies, following a request from the Dalai Lama's office regarding concerns over the security of the Tibetan exile computer network.

"We uncovered real-time evidence of malware that had penetrated Tibetan computer systems, extracting sensitive documents from the private office of the Dalai Lama," said investigator Greg Walton. The researchers were quick to point out however, that there was no conclusive evidence linking this network, which has targeted foreign ministries and embassies, to the Chinese government.

The network has installed malware on the target computers, allowing whoever is controlling it to extract sensitive information and access recording devices attached to infected machines to monitor the rooms they were in, although the team from IWM are unsure whether this particular feature had been used.

The IWM's report, entitled The Snooping Dragon: Social Malware Surveillance of the Tibetan Movement, said that while such attacks were not uncommon, that GhostNet stood out for its ability to collect "actionable intelligence for use by the police and security services of a repressive state, with potentially fatal consequences for those exposed".

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7970471.stm]

Nikita89

May 24, 2008
Yeah, guess they got a real kick out of the Dalai Lama's praying schedule...

But seriously, you just shouldn't keep important stuff on a computer connected to any kind of network. Always a bad idea!

Skillswords

Mar 25, 2009
I'm afraid on how the US goverment knew about his, i think there getting to attached and WWIII might be around the courner (like C&C Generals except you can't spam people every mission cause it'll cost more)

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Nikita89 said:
Yeah, guess they got a real kick out of the Dalai Lama's praying schedule...

But seriously, you just shouldn't keep important stuff on a computer connected to any kind of network. Always a bad idea!
Exactley
get a freaking external hard drive, put it under guard and only send it over the Internet if you need to

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Skillswords said:
I'm afraid on how the US goverment knew about his, i think there getting to attached and WWIII might be around the courner (like C&C Generals except you can't spam people every mission cause it'll cost more)
We found out about it because the Chinese try to hack the pentagon at least 3 times a year and whenever they get in we just talk about our penis extension cruise missiles and how we know where they live.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
"...a request from the Dalai Lama's office regarding concerns over the security of the Tibetan exile computer network."

Am I the only one who finds this kinda surreal? It's like something out of a Neal Stephenson novel. I guess I always just imagine the Dalai Lama meditating in a mountain temple or something...never would have guessed they get WiFi.

RetiarySword

Apr 27, 2008
Tibet?? How are they a threat to anyone?! But seriously China need to lay off this crap or there will be trouble.

Rylian

Dec 7, 2008
RetiarySword said:
Tibet?? How are they a threat to anyone?! But seriously China need to lay off this crap or there will be trouble.
Tibet is a chinese occupied territory. The Dalai Lama is the leader of the Tibetan government in exile, and thus also ostensibly linked to the resistance movement.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Crap. my T-19 Class Spider-Samurai Virus has competition. Good thing I have my Dalek tech so I can trace this stuff. then exterminate the culprits. hehe, no one messed with my mojo.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Lord_Ascendant said:
Crap. my T-19 Class Spider-Samurai Virus has competition. Good thing I have my Dalek tech so I can trace this stuff. then exterminate the culprits. hehe, no one messed with my mojo.
Explain how you got your hands on my people's tech at once human!

On the subject: Once again China, your antics really don't come as a shock to me...

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
dalek sec said:
Lord_Ascendant said:
Explain how you got your hands on my people's tech at once human!

On the subject: Once again China, your antics really don't come as a shock to me...
The Daleks came through the ArchGate, my time machine, I puleld them out of void space. I have a personal army of 600,000. They upgraded a lot of my tech.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Mrsnugglesworth said:
Doc Theta Sigma said:
What happened to you China? You used to be cool
When?
Well the Good Earth was a really good book. China seemed okay there. Except that it flooded and the pestilences and locusts and...

Oh.

RedDiablo

Nov 8, 2008
If the worm managed to enter the US Government, imagine the consequences. The same applies for practically any other government.