Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I had an appointment to have a termite treatment done at my house last thursday. The guy never showed up, and I know this because I have a ring doorbell camera that can see the area where he would have had to enter my property to do the treatment, and it covers the entire area where the treatment would have been done. If he was there and working there would be a dozen events created from the motion with video of him working. The only events from the day are me entering and exiting my house.

So I call the company up to complain. They send a guy out today. Dude shows up and starts pointing out holes that he says he drilled in the wood as part of the treatment. The holes don't look any different from all the termite holes that are already there. I told him to do it again, he refuses and leaves. I call the company back, tell them their guy was rude and uncooperative and that I won't be paying them for work that I have no proof they did. They tell me they'll have the guy's boss call me back.

Dude's boss calls me, chews me out, says he "believes his guy" and claims that he has video of his guy doing the work. I tell him I have video that shows his guy was never there, and if he has video proof he should provide it to me, but I'm not going to pay them until he does so and I am convinced of the proof. He says that if I don't want to use their services again then that's my prerogative and hangs up. What service? He was never there!

The crazy part is that the guy could have just done the work when he showed up the second time in like 15 minutes, but he refused. What was the point of even sending him out then?

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Why do on-ear headphones even exist? I got one as a gift, I hear they need some breaking in time, but fuck me my ears hurt.
I think some people like them because the audio quality is better than earbuds, but they're easier to store and carry around then over-ear headphones.

Either way I agree, they suck and are uncomfortable. I'll take comfort over audio quality any day.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Referencing my previous post regarding car shopping: I was looking at the website of a local dealership when I noticed that it had a "estimate your payment" tool from a credit-card company that I use. So I logged in to that just to do some pricing, only to find out that it brought me directly to a load application, so I closed it out and left the site. Apparently the credit card company decided to give all my information to the dealership, as since then I've gotten from them five Emails, two texts and two voice messages (one of which was missing half the audio, as if the person kept moving the phone away from her mouth, and the other got my name wrong). I'd expect high-pressure sales while I'm on the lot, but not when I'm remote window shopping.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I like that they give tropical storms names so that when I curse on bridges I can say fuck helene in particular for ruining my week.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I think some people like them because the audio quality is better than earbuds, but they're easier to store and carry around then over-ear headphones.

Either way I agree, they suck and are uncomfortable. I'll take comfort over audio quality any day.
Well, mine are cheap compared to my earbuds, so I can't say that the audio quality is better. But even without the price difference, I can't see how on-ear headphones would have better audio quality when they are further from your ears than earphones. Is the idea that they have more space to store higher quality parts?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Well, mine are cheap compared to my earbuds, so I can't say that the audio quality is better. But even without the price difference, I can't see how on-ear headphones would have better audio quality when they are further from your ears than earphones. Is the idea that they have more space to store higher quality parts?
Bigger headphones can fit bigger drivers, and bigger drivers tend to produce better sound quality, especially for bass which can be pretty muddy on smaller earbuds.

Obviously driver size isn't the only factor in sound quality otherwise all earbuds would sound like shit and all gigantic speakers would sound amazing, but it's one of the factors. That's part of why good subwoofers tend to be huge.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
My car got broken into. I don't really keep any valuables in there, so all that's missing is a couple coins, a cheap flash drive with my music, the card badge for free parking at the hospital and, for some reason, the high visibility vest under my seat. Oh, and they bust my driver side window to get in, but my insurance fully covers that. Already got a replacement lined up for tomorrow, so it basically just costs me time. The badge is actually the worst, since I'm out of the 50 euro deposit, and will have to lay down another 50 for the new badge.

Weirdly, they didn't take the stereo/gps.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ouch, sucks. Whether or not anything important gets stolen, it's your stuff, it's the principle involved.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The latest advertising on the Escapist's articles is absolutely abominable. Screen-filling pop-ups every 5 seconds or so as you're scrolling. It's so much of a hassle it genuinely makes me less likely to engage with the content. I don't want to have to click X 20 fucking times to see some low-substance pop culture stuff.

Reactions: bluegate

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
GOD... when i got into IT i said i wanted it because you never stop learning, and the problems are logical, but complex - you know: to keep the head fit.

Now the last few years (This might by old-man ranting) the amount of fucking GARBAGE software just has taken over. No joy, just faults. FUCK CMS (Content management systems) and DMS (document management systems) Fuck the "Cloud", software as a service, fuck Microsoft, fuck all providers of anything. Fuck all service providers and managed anything. Fuck this whole industry after... like 2008.

I don't understand anything of this shit, can't learn myself into it anymore and on ALL FUCKING corners the damn business-whores try to get money or upsell you into gigantic bloated software which does 80 times more than what you need yet is so fucking complex that no can really use it anyway.

Just fucking sell me a software and be quiet. No monthly or yearly shit. No FUCKING DAMN scripts and extensions with dependencies for a fucking near-static webpage.
Man, i don't think i will survive this... i need some money so i can just quit this (best job i ever had) because i just dread the industry and HATE dealing with it. Just want to help some users, repair some pc's, manage some Servers...

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
GOD... when i got into IT i said i wanted it because you never stop learning, and the problems are logical, but complex - you know: to keep the head fit.

Now the last few years (This might by old-man ranting) the amount of fucking GARBAGE software just has taken over. No joy, just faults. FUCK CMS (Content management systems) and DMS (document management systems) Fuck the "Cloud", software as a service, fuck Microsoft, fuck all providers of anything. Fuck all service providers and managed anything. Fuck this whole industry after... like 2008.

I don't understand anything of this shit, can't learn myself into it anymore and on ALL FUCKING corners the damn business-whores try to get money or upsell you into gigantic bloated software which does 80 times more than what you need yet is so fucking complex that no can really use it anyway.

Just fucking sell me a software and be quiet. No monthly or yearly shit. No FUCKING DAMN scripts and extensions with dependencies for a fucking near-static webpage.
Man, i don't think i will survive this... i need some money so i can just quit this (best job i ever had) because i just dread the industry and HATE dealing with it. Just want to help some users, repair some pc's, manage some Servers...
Cloud is the one that bugs me the most because managers use like a fucking comma and I sit there and rant in my head “You already had a cloud, fuckwit! What did you think the servers in your server room or data centres are?!?”

I can see the logic for SAAS for industry. Like Office365 for whole departments or corps means they’re always up to date because it’s an ongoing product (in theory) because nothing is more annoying than emails from your cybersecurity section saying you’re in breech of XYZ because you’re still on shit like Excel 2000. But for end users? It’s the best argument for LibreOffice or OpenOffice in years.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Random thought I had today, one of the reasons that global warming isn't taken seriously enough in much of the US might be because the temperatures are always presented in celcius, and Americans don't inherently know the conversion to fahrenheit.

A change of 2.5 degrees doesn't sound like much when you're used to thinking about livable temperatures on a 100 point scale, but it's actually the difference between wearing a light sweater and a tee-shirt.

When ideal living temperatures (according to the WHO is 20 to 25 degrees celcius (68 to 77 degrees fahrenheit) that 2.5 degree temperature difference seems a lot more significant.

So what I'm saying is fuck celcius we should all convert to fahrenheit, it makes the most sense when talking about livable temperatures and yes I will die on this hill.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
Youtube bots did says "you can make money with AI-generated works, but you can't do fanworks for absolutely anything including any non-commercial uses"

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
The results are in and the doc says I have to resume my diet. Its not too bad, just like a lot more fibre and less pastries/meat which is fine, but after having taken a few week break I'm learning that my body needs to become accustom to a high fibre diet again. For the record "high fibre" means like bowls of lentils and vegetables that rate more on the "tough" side of the spectrum - not a big deal but also more substantial than "try to eat whole wheat".

My god the farts. I thought I was finally over it for good but I guess three or so weeks is enough time for my gut biome to forget what its like to eat lentils most meals. I can't sleep on my stomach because there's a real danger I could fart myself through to the core of the earth. At first it was hilarious but now its just a tragic inconvenience,. I've been using probiotics but they just aren't enough.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
PC monitor went out, and I wasn’t planning on having to deal with that in an already busy weekend but I’ll need something by Monday. So researching what’s good these days and hopefully Best Buy has one. I got over sixteen years out of my Samsung LCD, so it was a good run I guess.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Peacock Premium was bundled with a new Xfinity deal for two years. Great I thought. Went to start watching a movie an am greeted by 180 fucking seconds of ads, right off the bat.

*googles*

Oh…turns out I’d need Peacock Premium Plus to be ad-free less ads. WTFlyingF. What the hell does Premium even mean now then?

*googles again*

“More content and features than Peacock”

*sigh*

1729650401795.gif

Last edited: