Chris Evans Has Already Quit Top Gear

ErrrorWayz

Jun 25, 2016
Xsjadoblayde said:
As for the BBC, well they, the conservatives and sexual assault seem to all go hand in hand these days. It's only recently started to come into public knowledge, but yet again, taxpayer's money is being spent hiding information from the public and fighting FOI cases with the non-Murdoch owned press. This little piss-happy puppy is just a single protrusion from a very ugly problem.
Sorry, while I agree the BBC wastes funds hiding information (the Balen report into its anti-Israeli bias being the most pertinent example) I am not quite sure where the non-Murdoch owned press bit comes from?

Are you suggesting the Sun and the Times somehow let the BBC off?

The Murdoch owned press is all over the BBC; they see it as a hugely over funded, state-owned monolith that exists on a market distorting and entirely unfair, unavoidable tax levied whether or not you use it's services.

I personally have some sympathy with the tax argument - its really unfair to have to fund the organisation when I never use it.

There's loads of examples of this sort of "Murdoch owned" reporting. I can't link the Times because... paywall.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/256656/revealed-the-bbc-stars-who-knew-about-pervert-jimmy-saviles-crimes/

If anything, I'd suggest, it's the non-Murdoch owned press, especially the more left wing outlets, the Independent, the Mirror and the Guardian, which support the BBC despite the endless waste and scandals.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/bbc-licence-fee

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
RaikuFA said:
AccursedTheory said:
This is really starting to shake my confidence in British television, the BBC in particular. It's almost like they have a minimum requirement for dysfunction and inappropriate behavior before they'll higher someone.

As for Mr. Evans... as a non-British person, I was introduced to him with Top Gear. And everything I'd seen and heard has been absolutely terrible. And it's mind breakingly moronic that the BBC hired someone who claimed that showing his penis during meetings was great fun for all involved. You'd have to be socially retarded to not realize that the 'laughter' Evans received during these events was not due to hilarity, but nervousness.

RaikuFA said:
NiPah said:
RaikuFA said:
Why is a show about cars on this site?
It's under the TV and Movies tab, that should be pretty self explanatory.
But it's a show about cars.
About 5 minutes after it's creation, the Escapist branched out into 'nerd culture' in a variety of mediums. This includes TV, movies, tabletop games, and pop science/technology.

You are, of course, free to bang your head against that and insist there's something wrong with non-video game content here. It's your right. But please, do so with an even hand, and spread your displeasure to the rest of the content. As of right now, that would be the active Escapist Deals post, the Ghostbuster thread, and the BFG thread.

I look forward to you playing fair and being flabbergastyed by all of them equally.

I've never seen cars and nerd stuff going together. Plus I don't see the appeal on a show where people drive around.
Well, I'm afraid you lack several things.

The first being perspective, as the ultra high end, bizarrely performance focused car crowd has a lot more in common with modern 'tech geeks' then it does the the more main stream 'Corvettes are cool' auto-fandom.

The second is a fundamental understanding of what Top Gear was (Prior to this season). It was, primarily, a comedy show. Then, in descending order of importance - Spectacle (Big, bombastic things, be it cars or, more often, environments), High Performance Cars, General Car News, and then Celebrity Interviews/Challenges.

A third is... how do I say this nicely... No one cares if this site is perfectly calibrated for your own appeal.

Not very nice, I guess, but I'm not sure how else to respond to such a bizarre complaint.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
AccursedTheory said:
RaikuFA said:
AccursedTheory said:
This is really starting to shake my confidence in British television, the BBC in particular. It's almost like they have a minimum requirement for dysfunction and inappropriate behavior before they'll higher someone.

As for Mr. Evans... as a non-British person, I was introduced to him with Top Gear. And everything I'd seen and heard has been absolutely terrible. And it's mind breakingly moronic that the BBC hired someone who claimed that showing his penis during meetings was great fun for all involved. You'd have to be socially retarded to not realize that the 'laughter' Evans received during these events was not due to hilarity, but nervousness.

RaikuFA said:
NiPah said:
RaikuFA said:
About 5 minutes after it's creation, the Escapist branched out into 'nerd culture' in a variety of mediums. This includes TV, movies, tabletop games, and pop science/technology.

You are, of course, free to bang your head against that and insist there's something wrong with non-video game content here. It's your right. But please, do so with an even hand, and spread your displeasure to the rest of the content. As of right now, that would be the active Escapist Deals post, the Ghostbuster thread, and the BFG thread.

I look forward to you playing fair and being flabbergastyed by all of them equally.

I've never seen cars and nerd stuff going together. Plus I don't see the appeal on a show where people drive around.

The first being perspective, as the ultra high end, bizarrely performance focused car crowd has a lot more in common with modern 'tech geeks' then it does the the more main stream 'Corvettes are cool' auto-fandom.

The second is a fundamental understanding of what Top Gear was (Prior to this season). It was, primarily, a comedy show. Then, in descending order of importance - Spectacle (Big, bombastic things, be it cars or, more often, environments), High Performance Cars, General Car News, and then Celebrity Interviews/Challenges.

A third is... how do I say this nicely... No one cares if this site is perfectly calibrated for your own appeal.

Not very nice, I guess, but I'm not sure how else to respond to such a bizarre complaint.
AC You're my fucking hero with this post. Took the words right out of my month more eloquently and much more succinctly than I would have used them.

I've always seen the parallels between my interests in tech/computers and cars.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
RaikuFA said:
AccursedTheory said:

RaikuFA said:
NiPah said:
RaikuFA said:

From what I saw from the break room at my old work it was just nonstop driving stuff. I just never understood the appeal of cars.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
RaikuFA said:
AccursedTheory said:
RaikuFA said:
AccursedTheory said:

RaikuFA said:
NiPah said:
RaikuFA said:

From what I saw from the break room at my old work it was just nonstop driving stuff. I just never understood the appeal of cars.
Do you seriously want me to try to explain the appeal of cars, or are you just spamming that one line opinion in the hopes that we'll all capitulate and cast off the oppressive yoke that is pop culture news articles?

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Chris Evans is a good presenter when he is the focus of the show. You don't get to be as financially successful as he has been unless you are good at your job.

The problem is that with Top Gear he was being asked to share the spotlight and that simply didn't gel with his style.

I'm not completely sold on Matt LeBlanc at the moment. He seemed a little stiff throughout the show but that could have been down to the rumored bad blood between him and Chris.

New Top Gear wasn't terrible but Chris Evans did hurt it. I would say that they don't need to replace him, they still have a good team and a smaller presenting cast may help with chemistry between them.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
RaikuFA said:
AccursedTheory said:
RaikuFA said:
AccursedTheory said:

RaikuFA said:
NiPah said:
RaikuFA said:

Do you seriously want me to try to explain the appeal of cars, or are you just spamming that one line opinion in the hopes that we'll all capitulate and cast off the oppressive yoke that is pop culture news articles?
So how are tech geeks more in common with today's car people?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
votemarvel said:
I'm not completely sold on Matt LeBlanc at the moment. He seemed a little stiff throughout the show but that could have been down to the rumored bad blood between him and Chris.
I'd have bad blood with someone too, if they kept waving their pecker at me and my colleagues at inappropriate times.

RaikuFA said:
AccursedTheory said:
RaikuFA said:
AccursedTheory said:
RaikuFA said:
AccursedTheory said:

RaikuFA said:
NiPah said:
RaikuFA said:

Both share an aptitude for taking things to extreme levels. A desire for high performance within a particular envelope. A respect for not only the capabilities of the machine (The transistor or the engine), but how the machine is capable of what it's doing. Both treat a typically functional piece of hardware as a hobby. Both seek novel solutions to mundane problems. Both pay attention to industrial or professional applications of the technology, even those far removed from their own usage, or beyond their own means of usage of acquirement.

It's a shared mentality, just applied to different subjects.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
JayRPG said:
Nobody watched Top Gear for the format... It wasn't the world's most successful show because of car tests...

Jeremy Clarkson, James May, and Richard Hammond are the sole reason for it's success, they made the show what it is, the show was barely about cars at all in the last 3 or 4 seasons, it was just 3 hilarious characters doing their usual antics which sometimes involved cars.

I have no idea why the BBC thought they could carry on as if nothing as happened, almost the entire fanbase is eagerly awaiting the new show from the trio on Amazon.
It sounds like they took away the shenagigans and replaced them with Matt Leblanc, that just doesn't work.

Despite Hammond being annoying on his own he had an undeniable chemistry with Clarkson and May.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
anthony87 said:
Good. He was the worst thing about this new series.

Dude seems to lack any sort of natural charisma for television.
+1

This is it; your pointe exactly. I'm a long time TG fan that tried the new show, and I'd go so far as to say that he killed every scene he's in. The other presenters are all interesting, in fact Rory and other-Chris are downright compelling to watch, but Evans was just painful. Joey from Friends is even pretty entertaining to watch in an 'I just smoked a bowl; I'm super chill' kind of way.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
ErrrorWayz said:
I should have clarified properly, I meant the UK government fighting FOI cases, not the BBC. That wouldn't do their alleged unbiased reputation any good at all. :)

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Good, Evans has been the weakest link in this entire series so far. The BBC pumped a ton of money into this series and it still couldn't make up for his stupidity on the show.

Bobular said:
The concept of there being Chris Evans fans confuses and enrages me.
Wait, there are people who are fans of this plonker? How!? The man has no sense of humour beyond "Shout and hope it makes you sound clever".

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
vallorn said:
Good, Evans has been the weakest link in this entire series so far. The BBC pumped a ton of money into this series and it still couldn't make up for his stupidity on the show.

Bobular said:
The concept of there being Chris Evans fans confuses and enrages me.
Wait, there are people who are fans of this plonker? How!? The man has no sense of humour beyond "Shout and hope it makes you sound clever".
Yeah, somehow I used to know a woman that had a poster of him at work and thought he was fit

No idea how that is possible or how the poster wasn't banned

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Both cars and stuff like PCs have an inventory of different parts with specifications that are optimal for different purposes. People appreciate old video games that brought new technology to gaming. People like old cars for the same reason.

Its not that difficult to make the comparison between cars and tech, because car tech is tech.

Keep in mind Top Gear is the world's most watched factual show on the planet.

Its original hosts were all known outside of the automotive world. Especially Jeremy Clarkson who, fun fact, what a part of the early "tech geek" culture through being the original host of BattleBots. They were just people who were fans of cars. They were hilarious and weren't stiff like in most car shows.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
He was insufferable on the radio. Why did the BBC think forcing people to see his face would make things better?

They should let Top Gear die. It's had a good run, now it's time to try something new. I'm not even convinced the Amazon version will be up to the old standard, mammoth budget or not.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
RaikuFA said:
Both cars and stuff like PCs have an inventory of different parts with specifications that are optimal for different purposes. People appreciate old video games that brought new technology to gaming. People like old cars for the same reason.

Its not that difficult to make the comparison between cars and tech, because car tech is tech.

Keep in mind Top Gear is the world's most watched factual show on the planet.

Its original hosts were all known outside of the automotive world. Especially Jeremy Clarkson who, fun fact, what a part of the early "tech geek" culture through being the original host of BattleBots. They were just people who were fans of cars. They were hilarious and weren't stiff like in most car shows.
I would've also accepted "both have a knack for overcharging for simple things" and "both love acting like their hobby is some Stonecutters illuminati shit"/joke

Seriously, I don't know jack about tech or cars. I mean I know how to change a tire and battery. You know, basic stuff. But holy shit is trying to learn more stuff hard.

ErrrorWayz

Jun 25, 2016
Xsjadoblayde said:
ErrrorWayz said:
I should have clarified properly, I meant the UK government fighting FOI cases, not the BBC. That wouldn't do their alleged unbiased reputation any good at all. :)
Ahhh - then I am with you all the way brother! :)

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Good, maybe the new Top Gear has a chance of succeeding now, I've never liked Chris (and with good reason it seems!) so his presence alone put me off.

Hairless Mammoth said:
"If you get your willy out(...)Girls love it
K adding this to my repertoire of "moves". Between this and Facehugger-Bro from Critical Miss, I've been getting all my quality dating advice from this site <3 I'm only about 3/4 as obnoxious as Chris so this should work for me just as much.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
The final episode of the latest series was watched live by 1.9 million TV users in the UK - a series low for ratings.
I know this doesn't make for a great head line, but the last Top Gear of this series was on at the same time as France vs Iceland in the European Football championships, or the thing that the entirety of Europe turned out to watch.

Nobody got good viewing figures on Sunday night, nobody.

On Chris Evans, he was completely in Matt LeBlanc's shadow all series, which is probably no surprise since LeBlanc has the looks, the charm and the driving skills. I'd love to see more of Chriss Harris and Sabine in the next series. Chris Harris on Cars is one of my favourite channels on Youtube, it's brilliant.