Chris Pratt will voice Mario in a new super Mario bros movie

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Of all the people to get... why Crisp Rat? (I wondered the same thing about Bob Hoskins, although I have to admit that for a Brit, he did a pretty good Bronx accent.)
Yeah the only things I'd ever seen Hoskins in were Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Super Mario Brothers. I had no fucking clue he was English until I watched The Long Good Friday, and Hook sort of passed me by.

At least Bob Hoskins had the look for a "realistic"/live-action Mario. I know voice is and can be a different caliber, but there are plenty of better options. Nothing against Pratt, but I feel we're getting the Ryan Reynolds effect where they're just throwing him out there, everywhere.
Well the ultimate reason they've chosen Pratt, probably, is that he is a bankable name AND kids like him. I mean if Nintendo wanted to make some kind of glorious, reverent celebration of all things Mario for long time fans then they'd make in the medium they most understand and 90% of his fans will want to experience it in: a video game. This movie is probably high on their list of things they want to make money and will insist I'm sure on a certain amount of quality, its an avenue for more capital. Possibly to flog that Super Mario theme park (is that still a thing?).

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I don't really care, honestly. I'm not the target audience for this movie by like 30 years and I remember the original Mario movie(I don't have nightmares but I think I blotted most of it from my memory, or maybe it was just that unmemorable. I had to be reminded Dennis Hopper was basically doing a Trump impression but Dinosaur because that's how little I remember), from which anything is a step up. It's questionable if I'm gonna even watch it in the end, because I didn't watch Detective Pikachu or Sonic either(I mean, granted, I don't care about either of those frachises). But even then, Mario has like held every job in existence and doesn't really have a personality to speak of so(No, "It's a-me, Mario" is not a personality it's a catch phrase), sure why fucking not?

But since we're on this subject.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Yeh but
*Points to the Lego Movie Part 2*
That also exists and shows what happens when people get too self indulgent and hyped up on their own success from the previous one that they try to do it again but without the 3rd guy they can't make it work.
But...Part 2 is a good movie? Now, it's not as good as the first one (but what is), but it's problem isn't some sort of self-indulgence or hype, it's the fact that some executive at Warner Brothers thought the key to becoming Disney level rich was by turning all of their animated kids movies into musicals. This is how you end up with a musical as a sequel to a movie that had only two songs in it, both played as punchlines.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
But...Part 2 is a good movie? Now, it's not as good as the first one (but what is), but it's problem isn't some sort of self-indulgence or hype, it's the fact that some executive at Warner Brothers thought the key to becoming Disney level rich was by turning all of their animated kids movies into musicals. This is how you end up with a musical as a sequel to a movie that had only two songs in it, both played as punchlines.
I dunno if you dig down into 2 it's really not great on a thematic level and more relies on understanding larger trends in film and media for some of the themes and ideas to pay off and worse then you dig in more said themes and ideas then also come off and hypocritical too.

If you take The Lego Movie 1 as a sort of shot at the adult businessman Lego collector type going "This is a kid toy it's meant to be about fun too don't forget that".
Well The Lego Movie Part 2 was weirdly more a shot at attitudes seemingly in the Lego corporation itself but in a very awkward way and actually a way that comes off as just following certain Hollywood trends. I don't want to go into it too much more unless you really want me to but suffice to say look at who are the heroes and who are the villains.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm not familiar with their work. What have they done?
The Despicable Me films, Minions (prequel and spinoff that is also getting a sequel), and Grinch movie from 2018. I like the first Despicable Me movie, but I have not seen either sequel, but most people on both ends consider between decent and good respectively. Minions for some reason is a film you're supposed to hate around critic and YouTube circle jerks across the Internet for some reason. The movie ain't perfect, but I thought it was fine. My older brother and mom on the other hand love the shit out of Minions movie. The movie did more than great in theaters, so it resonated with a lot of movie goers. I saw nothing wrong with then, and I see nothing wrong with now. Grinch (2018) I chose to not see, as it kinda misses point of the story. For all the flaws of the Jim Carrey version, even that one managed to get the point. The Illumination version still did great for the Christmas season, but I ain't gonna flip my lid over it.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Apparently Charles Martinet (the normal Mario and co. voice actor) will have multiple cameos in the film, so it does kind of raise the question as to why he isn't just voicing Mario?

But, I suppose the fact that I felt it necessary to describe who Charles Martinet is, is probably the reason why he isn't the headline act here. The fact of the matter is, this is a star-studded cast, and the original VO cast aren't. For the average Joe, knowing that Star Lord is in a movie is way more exciting than some relative nobody, especially when a multi-million dollar movie is on the line.

But, I just can't picture what a Chris Pratt Mario will sound like....

inb4 everybody is just American.
Judging by how little money Pratt's non-MCU and non-Jurassic Park movies make, I'd say the average joe doesn't care about him much outside of Star Wars.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
say the average joe doesn't care about him much outside of Star Wars.
You mean Guardians Of The Galaxy. Chris Pratt has not been in a Star Wars movie. He is still bankable, which is why they picked them. Dude is still getting work. He's got some movie that involves time travel that's on Amazon prime.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
You mean Guardians Of The Galaxy. Chris Pratt has not been in a Star Wars movie. He is still bankable, which is why they picked them. Dude is still getting work. He's got some movie that involves time travel that's on Amazon prime.
Right. Meant Guardians of the Galaxy.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Remember when they made the Wallace and Gromit movie and replaced Peter Sallis with Tom Cruise?

Oh right, they didn't.
The point is, as @Dalisclock pointed out, the Mario voice from the video games isn't necessarily endemic to the Mario character. I've not played every Mario game, but I'm under the impression he's more about iconic catch phrases than his voice being iconic in and of itself. Unlike say, Master Chief. Steve Downes IS the Master Chief because his voice is distinct, has been a staple of the Halo franchise for nearly two decades, and his lines of dialogue have been integral to the progression of the over-arching story the entire time. Mario just has a few one-liners that have been memorable for how often they've been repeated while he's jumpin on the heads of Goombas and tossing turtle shells around.

The better question is, will Pratt attempt that offensively stereotypical Italian accent? I think that at least should satisfy fans. Unlike the Brooklyn accent we got in that disastrous live-action film from the '90s that was "loosely based" (being extremely generous there) on the Mario games of the time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The point is, as @Dalisclock pointed out, the Mario voice from the video games isn't necessarily endemic to the Mario character. I've not played every Mario game, but I'm under the impression he's more about iconic catch phrases than his voice being iconic in and of itself. Unlike say, Master Chief. Steve Downes IS the Master Chief because his voice is distinct, has been a staple of the Halo franchise for nearly two decades, and his lines of dialogue have been integral to the progression of the over-arching story the entire time. Mario just has a few one-liners that have been memorable for how often they've been repeated while he's jumpin on the heads of Goombas and tossing turtle shells around
That's the thing though. Regardless if it's just a bunch of one-liners or not, the OG voice actor, Charles Martinet is iconic for a reason. He's been doing the voice for well over 20 years himself. He also voiced Luigi, Wario, and Waluilgi too.

It's the same reason that nobody else can be Dante, but Ruben Langdon. Even though he only started voicing the character at the start of the DMC3. Or why Alyssa Court is considered the definitive Claire Redfield. She brought charming energy no other voice actors of Claire brought to the scene. Her replacements have done decent jobs, but I told to the extent and how long she's been doing it. Up to that point, Claire's had the most consistent voice actor for the Resident Evil series. A series known for replacing voice actors on the dime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The point is, as @Dalisclock pointed out, the Mario voice from the video games isn't necessarily endemic to the Mario character. I've not played every Mario game, but I'm under the impression he's more about iconic catch phrases than his voice being iconic in and of itself. Unlike say, Master Chief. Steve Downes IS the Master Chief because his voice is distinct, has been a staple of the Halo franchise for nearly two decades, and his lines of dialogue have been integral to the progression of the over-arching story the entire time. Mario just has a few one-liners that have been memorable for how often they've been repeated while he's jumpin on the heads of Goombas and tossing turtle shells around.

The better question is, will Pratt attempt that offensively stereotypical Italian accent? I think that at least should satisfy fans. Unlike the Brooklyn accent we got in that disastrous live-action film from the '90s that was "loosely based" (being extremely generous there) on the Mario games of the time.
They're not allowing Mario to sell himself as a character. The reason Chris Pratt as Mario is so laughable isn't even so much that it's a miscast - Pratt can be goofy and innocent when he needs to be, I mean, look at The Lego Movie - it's that they're tying such a huge Hollywood name to something as quaint as Mario. I never expected Charles Martinet to voice Mario in the movie, atleast not with the voice he usually does, since that would get highly annoying after the first 10 minutes. But with Pratt as the voice of Mario, along with some of the other voice cast, you know where this is going.

When they made the Wallace and Gromit movie they kept the tone of that world and its characters intact; Neither Wallace nor Gromit were shoved through the Hollywood grinder to make them more palatable - or what the suits think is more palatable - to American audiences. Not that the Mario franchise is as easy to pin down as something like Wallace and Gromit, but everything about this Mario movie and Illumination being set to create it screams shallow Hollywood branding. But then I guess Mario himself has been in shallow mobile games too, so eh.

Another point of contention regarding the voice cast is how obvious the "humor" is going to be. You just know every comedic beat Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong is going to hit, and it's depressing that just by knowing the voice cast we already know exactly what to expect from this movie before we've even seen a single frame of it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That's the thing though. Regardless if it's just a bunch of one-liners or not, the OG voice actor, Charles Martinet is iconic for a reason. He's been doing the voice for well over 20 years himself. He also voiced Luigi, Wario, and Waluilgi too.

It's the same reason that nobody else can be Dante, but Ruben Langdon. Even though he only started voicing the character at the start of the DMC3. Or why Alyssa Court is considered the definitive Claire Redfield. She brought charming energy no other voice actors of Claire brought to the scene. Her replacements have done decent jobs, but I told to the extent and how long she's been doing it. Up to that point, Claire's had the most consistent voice actor for the Resident Evil series. A series known for replacing voice actors on the dime.
Pedant. You're comparing characters who's dialogue is actually important to the story, dialogue that has built the characters and had substantive impacts to their respective stories. Martinet is just "the guy who says the things people expect Mario to say." Given how other video games have been mishandled in their transition to screen, I think, if nothing else, their doing an animation and not attempting to live-action a story about a plumber, princess and lizard when there's not enough there to merit such an outing is enough. Am I saying Pratt is the right choice? I don't know. What I AM saying is it doesn't really matter.

They're not allowing Mario to sell himself as a character. The reason Chris Pratt as Mario is so laughable isn't even so much that it's a miscast - Pratt can be goofy and innocent when he needs to be, I mean, look at The Lego Movie - it's that they're tying such a huge Hollywood name to something as quaint as Mario. I never expected Charles Martinet to voice Mario in the movie, atleast not with the voice he usually does, since that would get highly annoying after the first 10 minutes. But with Pratt as the voice of Mario, along with some of the other voice cast, you know where this is going.

When they made the Wallace and Gromit movie they kept the tone of that world and its characters intact; Neither Wallace nor Gromit were shoved through the Hollywood grinder to make them more palatable - or what the suits think is more palatable - to American audiences. Not that the Mario franchise is as easy to pin down as something like Wallace and Gromit, but everything about this Mario movie and Illumination being set to create it screams shallow Hollywood branding. But then I guess Mario himself has been in shallow mobile games too, so eh.

Another point of contention regarding the voice cast is how obvious the "humor" is going to be. You just know every comedic beat Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong is going to hit, and it's depressing that just by knowing the voice cast we already know exactly what to expect from this movie before we've even seen a single frame of it.
Agreed; this was a purely Hollywood move. But Mario doesn't need to sell himself, and let's be honest: what is his character? A plumber that jumps on creatures and collects stars to rescue a princess from a lizard? What kind of motivation does an actor require to do that ankle-deep level of depth justice? He's arguably one of the most recognizable videogame characters in history; he doesn't NEED to sell himself. People who don't' even play videogames know who he he is, and what character traits does he require in a film adaptation to be recognized as himself? But the counter-argument then mandates that their intentionally underselling the Mario character with a lesser, no-name actor would have been itself an equal level of disingenuousness. Pick your poison.

Just saying, film adaptations of iconic video game brands are ALWAYS going to draw out the ire of fanatics, and Pratt, while maybe not the best choice could easily be the least offensive move if the movie sucks as much shit as it easily could (and might.) Pratt is an actor; his job is to pretend to be people he's not. If they put a script in front of him and tell him to say "thank you so much for to playing my game" in a put-on Italian accent, he might very well be capable of it. Just because it's not the guy who did it first in the '90s isn't a de facto miscasting. I may not like Pratt, but he does have range. The best range? No. But I think him perfectly capable of not completely fucking a script about a "story" so far-fetched as to be best described as a nigh 40-year-old fever dream.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Agreed. Because it's an adaptation of a child-focused video game with a paper-thin story.

To most others on the other hand.....
And that's my point. The pedants of videogame fandom world (EDIT: ADULTS of the videogame fandom world; I doubt there are any 9-year-olds so hung up on voice casting over seeing their hero on screen in a cartoon) need to learn to temper their expectations and quit being so bitchy about the niggling details. If "most" is even accurate, would they prefer a terrible Mario movie with Martinet's voice, or a decent Mario movie with another person's voice? The unicorn of a great videogame film that adheres to ever facet of the source material has yet to happen, so give this one a chance if they actually care that much instead of whining before they've even seen the damn movie.

I'm a huge Splinter Cell fan. No on was more disappointed than me when Michael Ironside was replaced as the iconic voice of Sam Fisher for Blacklist. But... it is a GREAT fucking Splinter Cell game. So many fans missed out because Ironside wasn't there, and that petty, entitled desire to have everything "their way" was just stupid. And that was an actual, playable videogame, not a film adaptation. If "fans" can't get their heads out of their asses long enough to dismiss something so minor, then they need to grow the fuck up. It's a Mario movie. If they want it, if it's a thing that happening, quit bitching about it before you've even see it.

I'm seriously just over people who want to be disappointed before they even have the finished product in their hands. The kind of bitching that got the recent Sonic movie completely redone. Are you serious? Sonic isn't movie-worthy out the gate; you're really complaining because he doesn't look like the videogame version? Don't people have more serious shit to worry about?

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If "most" is even accurate, would they prefer a terrible Mario movie with Martinet's voice, or a decent Mario movie with another person's voice?
An even better option: how about a good or decent Mario movie with Martinet's voice?

"fans" can't get their heads out of their asses long enough to dismiss something so minor, then they need to grow the fuck up. It's a Mario movie. If they want it, if it's a thing that happening, quit bitching about it before you've even see it.
I agree with you there.

Sonic isn't movie-worthy out the gate; you're really complaining because he doesn't look like the videogame version? Don't people have more serious shit to worry about?
The Sonic movie is a bit of a different case. There was no reason to make him live action in the first place. A dumb move on the executives part. Is just yet another movie where they turn a character that was never meant to be alive action and throw them into the "real world", because this is a creatively bankrupt industry. Sonic movie should have been 3D animated for one. Though I would have preferred to the animation. I'm glad the Sonic movie did well, but I don't like it, nor do I have any interest in watching it. The Sonic movie should have been this:

Not another case of allying with some human character nobody cares about. Sega learned nothing from Sonic X. Ironic, because even they hated the original look of Sonic in the live-action version, and I find it hard to disagree with them. Yet, they're the ones dumb enough to sign up on it. What I find even strange is that the script feels like something that was supposed to come out in the 90s, but never happened and they just found it one day and threw it out there. Whatever happens with this Mario movie, I already know it will better than the Sonic movie. At least Mario is animated.

Also, those animators had to run through a lot of crunch just to make Sonic look right now live action version. That is something you can't just blame on the Fanboys alone. You got to blame those at top in the industry, for thinking it was such a good idea in the first place to make them look like that. What sucks even more is, after that animation studio completed their job, they all got laid off.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Agreed; this was a purely Hollywood move. But Mario doesn't need to sell himself, and let's be honest: what is his character? A plumber that jumps on creatures and collects stars to rescue a princess from a lizard? What kind of motivation does an actor require to do that ankle-deep level of depth justice? He's arguably one of the most recognizable videogame characters in history; he doesn't NEED to sell himself. People who don't' even play videogames know who he he is, and what character traits does he require in a film adaptation to be recognized as himself? But the counter-argument then mandates that their intentionally underselling the Mario character with a lesser, no-name actor would have been itself an equal level of disingenuousness. Pick your poison.
Mario not having a character puts the casting into even starker contrast though. Again, it's not really about miscasting it's about the very blatant Hollywood fist getting jammed up in there. You take a character who doesn't even have any character and is just a mascot symbolizing simple, wholesome videogame fun... and you tack on "super cool Hollywood action star Chris Pratt. I mean, people like Chris Pratt, right? He's so COOL." If this was a parody, we'd write it off as a bit too easy of a joke.

Who knows maybe it'll work and we'll all have egg on our faces when the movie is released and turns out being fantastic, but this just gives me the same vibes as Paddington bear with a backwards cap and a skateboard, or Winnie de Pooh using gamer lingo.

Just saying, film adaptations of iconic video game brands are ALWAYS going to draw out the ire of fanatics, and Pratt, while maybe not the best choice could easily be the least offensive move if the movie sucks as much shit as it easily could (and might.) Pratt is an actor; his job is to pretend to be people he's not. If they put a script in front of him and tell him to say "thank you so much for to playing my game" in a put-on Italian accent, he might very well be capable of it. Just because it's not the guy who did it first in the '90s isn't a de facto miscasting. I may not like Pratt, but he does have range. The best range? No. But I think him perfectly capable of not completely fucking a script about a "story" so far-fetched as to be best described as a nigh 40-year-old fever dream.
I haven't seen much ire about this though, most people within the gaming community are just laughing at this for the confusing attempt at star studding.

I guess the real question becomes 'Why make a Mario movie?', or 'How do you make a Mario movie without it feeling like a bunch of Hollywood branding in a Mario skin?' The Mario games never had any real story, but there has always been a certain tone to them. Can that tone work in a feature length movie? Probably. Will it be marketable to mainstream audiences (without stupidly big names attached to it)? Questionable. Animation, in America at least, is viewed as something that needs to be loud a busy enough to entertain kids, and star studded enough to keep adults happy. Anything that falls outside of either of those will usually not be given much attention.